New woodworker here

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullymac

New User
Paul
I have recently begun my woodworking experience, and was wondering if there were any tips or suggestions to help my growth. I have made a couple projects (Adirondack chair, stool for my 5 year old), but they are not very, well, stable. The next project I was looking at was a workbench. I currently have a jigsaw, a drill, chisels, a couple handsaws and a Dremel Trio. I do have some ideas to build a guitar stand, bookcases and other shelves. This feels like starting to play guitar because you love "Stairway to Heaven," but I don't know how to get there. Do you have any suggestions out there for a newbie for necessary tools, tips to help me develop the right skills? Thanks in advance.

randwool

New User
Randy
Your best friend is the internet. Keep researching and reading. Searching just the woodworking terms you mentioned would result in plenty of information to digest. Glad you stopped in.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Reading about wood working is like reading about cooking. You just end up with more questions and never get a taste of the thing you really want.

Take a class, meet your neighbors, go to a NCWW free workshop, go to a NCWW shop crawl...

You already made the best first move by posting here, now take advantage of our hospitality and generosity. Get involved.

Welcome to the site and welcome to the world of wood working.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Paul!

My suggestion would be to start out small (project wise) and as suggested books and the Internet are good sources. There are plenty of great friends right here at NCWW to assist you along the way,

Happy Woodworking!
:icon_thum
Wayne

paullymac

New User
Paul
That's a great way to put it. It is hard to read about things that I have no idea what they are talking about. It's amazing how many "beginner" or "start up" articles assume a great deal of woodworking knowledge. I don't even know what I don't know at this point. I'm trying to figure out what I need (I don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for a tool I might use twice). Thanks for the advice.

paullymac

New User
Paul
That's exactly where I am. I actually discovered the Fine Woodworking Getting started video series last night, and that was hugely helpful to see how tools are used and maintained, and what I can do with the tools. Thanks for the tip.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Paul, you've already taken the first, and best, step toward your new found hobby / addiction: joining this group. We have everything here from beginners, such as yourself, to seasoned veterans w/ more than 40 years of experience. As you try different things, ask ANY question and you'll get all the help you need.

Sticking w/ your music analogy of playing "Stairway to Heaven", I bet you learned to play something like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" or "Mary Had A Little Lamb" when you first started. It's the same w/ woodworking.

As for building that workbench, let me suggest you build something "temporary" to begin with. Later, as you develop your skills, and determine what type of woodworking you like best, you'll be in a better position to build the workbench of your dreams. Most of us have gone through several benches as our skills have evolved over the years.

Bill

MikeH

New User
Mike
I would have to agree with all the suggestions above. Start small and grow your tool collection as you know you need it. Visit as many NCWW friends as you can. There is an incredible wealth of knowledge here and it extends WAY beyond woodworking. Welcome to THE BEST woodworking site on the internet. We're glad to have you and hopefully we'll get to meet you at the picnic if you can make it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Welcome Paul. You'll find a lot of helpful information, insight, and experience here in a very friendly environment. Just remember, the only dumb question is the one not asked so jump right in!

You're off to a good start, but as you've discovered, information overload can be overwhelming. Just try to break it up into manageable sub-sets and digest one segment at a time while considering your available space and budget.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW, Paul. Keep in mind great woodworkers make mistakes, just they know how to correct those mistakes.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
There is a lot of great video that can be more instructive to a beginner than books. Many of us have learned a lot from the New Yankee Workshop - look for re-runs on PBS or elsewhere. The Woodsmith show is good as well. One caveat - after watching these you will think you need to spend $3k on a collection of large power tools to build anything. As I've learned over time, a great number of projects can be completed with a circular saw, drill, router, decent work bench and a modest selection of hand tools. Unfortunately, I haven't found much in the way of video on these techniques :(

Ask lots of questions here - there are a lot of very experienced members that can help you with just about anything.

Chris

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A second thought. Once you understand the concept of what you want to do and why then ask yourself "how can I do this with the tools that I already have?" A video may show a certain way to do it, but there is likely another way as well. It's easier on your bank account, satisfying because you were able to get to the same end point, and you didn't bust the home budget doing it. Spouses really like the creativity and innovation too. Who said "You didn't have a row to hoe?"

A lot of things are perfectly functional, but hidden at the end of the day so don't fret over the small stuff.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Paul. You came to the right place. Hope to see you at the picnic.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Paul , Adding to the already-good advice offered, I’ll add this…
I’ve been making sawdust for a bit more than 22 years, acquiringt ools, experience and frustrations along the way. It’s taken me that long to become reasonably competent (albeit terribly slow), while still striving to be proficient. The first 10 years were without the Internet and I recall learning a lot by building several projects published in Woodsmith. I still subscribe and sometimes think the older issues may have been better (in some ways) than the new. Typically, each of my early Woodsmith projects walked me through a useful new (to me) technique.

Always thankful (now) that ….
(1) I have somedecent planes and chisels and can use and maintain them well enough to keep them working hard for me.
(2) I understand that there is rarely one right way to do something. I used to waste a lot of time looking for that universally-accepted standard method of work.

Memorable regrets…
(1) Beginning with mediocre measuring, marking and layout tools. Buy only the very best for checking measure, square and straightness. Anything else will cost you more than money.
(2) Not having adopted the habit of wearing hearing protection sooner.
(3) Not having builta really good work bench sooner than I did. After all though, one needs a decent work bench to make a good work bench.

bwat

New User
Bill
Welcome to the site Paul. As others have said, get involved any way your schedule will allow. Look forward to running into you at a local event.:icon_thum

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Paul,

You have already received some great advice. I would like to add to it...

Workbench - Start with a solid core door on saw horses. You can find doors at an architectural salvage business cheap. This will give you an idea of what you like and don't like in a bench.
Tools - You have an interesting set of tools. If you encounter a situation that it does not seem that one of your tools will work, research jigs. Jigs are devises that allow your tools to do something specific. You may not find exactly what you are looking for, but you might find some inspiration.
Pictures - We love pictures on this forum. Learn to post pictures. When you encounter a problem, post a picture and explain the problem in a much detail as you can. This will allow some of the members to diagnose the problem and help you arrive at a solution. You could post pictures of the adirondack chair and stool and someone might be able to give you advise on how to make them more stable.

Ask lots of questions. Members have a wealth of knowledge in woodworking as well as many other areas. This is a great hobby and you have found a wonderful place to discuss it.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS