New way to make Segments

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello,

I was looking over a Jan/Feb 1985 edition of Fine Woodworking and came across something that I think can be used for segments. It would make the glue surface side grain to side grain and the top/bottom of the rings would be end grain. So in a vase the end grain would go from the bottom to the top of the vase. Whereas the other way has the end grain going around the vase on each ring so I am not sure if it will affect the way the wood moves, just thought it might work for those that don't have an awesome segmented sled.

Under the Follow-up section it talks about making the same angles on both sides for Tambour doors, but thought the same sled could be used for segments. So if you just get the angles right for 22.5 degrees you can have a lot of segments fast after making a bunch of straight cuts on the table saw.
New_way_to_make_segments.jpg

What do you think? Good idea or bad? If it chips out the wood you can use a drum sander instead???

Thanks,

Matthew

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
A board across the back to stop that. It could be as little as a 1/4" above the angled cuts. My planer has feed rollers on it and kickback fingers so that's a plus in my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS