new user "splitter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
As i was reading his response to my thread on the Jet Mortising Machine line boring attachment, i clicked on the link in it which lead me to LuCong Manufacturing, a Chinese equipment manufacturer. This would not have bothered me until, as I tried to edit the broken link, I realized that the link was in his signature, so I had to go to the Mod CP to fix his sig. That got me to considering the rest of his profile. His public profile says nothing about where he is from, but in the Mod CP, his IP cannot be resolved.

Nothing that he has done yet constitutes a violation of policy, but I think this is a user to watch for potential spam.

I will respond to his response in that thread asking him to introduce himself.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Good catch. That poster sure smells suspicious.

His registration IP is looking up as being Chinese.

IP Information - 119.179.40.82
Country China China
Country Code CN
Region Shandong
City Jinan
Latitude 36.6683
Longitude 116.9972

Jim

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
guess I need a new IP looker upper.... should we fix that now, by banning the user, and deleting him?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I googled the ip.

There are a number of plugins that could let us try to catch these types of registrations.

Given, for now, we rarely see this issue, I'd prefer not to go to the effort at this time.

If it becomes an issue, then by all means we can put measures in place.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I find this interesting. I've commented for a long time that is someone wanted to circumnavigate our registration check points that they could just look up a NC town name and get the zip code and they wouldn't raise a red flag. I saw his registration come in an found two things out of the ordinary. First why would someone with the name Frank go by the nickname of PPO? Second the English used is very reminiscent of e-mail scammers... "Yes, you can buy this mortise machines" or listing Occupation as "Account" .
I would say for now leave him be, but if his posting continues along it's current path then we can ban him.

Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe he's (working for) a mainland tool manufacturer & wants to know what we think of some of their products!
Still, with all the upheaval in China today & the Google mess going on, I'd think it would be wise to block any submitted links until they could be inoculated.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Or this could be a real NC resident working on a temp assignment in China. Can we set it up so that one of the mods has to approve their posts until we get this sorted out? A ban should be the last step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors