New Tools- When do you buy them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

New User
Tim
New post from my blog.

Me and the beautiful Mrs. Charles went shopping today. We stopped by Sears (actually I stopped, she hurried through to bath and body works) and got a chance to look in the tool section with my little man. They have a lot on sale right now, perhaps because their stores keep closing. I happened to stumble onto a coping saw for pretty cheap. I decided to snatch it up and add it to my hand tool collection. I bought this little tool because I need it! I’m looking to do some curved work and this will be extremely helpful. So I started thinking, do you guys buy tools to just buy tools, or do you buy them when you need them? I’m even talking about tools being on sale. When I bought the coping saw I knew that I’d be using it within the next couple days, so I planned ahead.

batk30msu

New User
brent
I often buy them at opportune times (sales, etc) then find a reason to use them. For example, peachtree had a fourth of July 50% of sale with tons of deals. I picked up the router table feather board/bit guard. Now I need to build a new fence for my router table!

Timmy

New User
Tim
I often buy them at opportune times (sales, etc) then find a reason to use them. For example, peachtree had a fourth of July 50% of sale with tons of deals. I picked up the router table feather board/bit guard. Now I need to build a new fence for my router table!

You did the combo move, bought something which means that you HAVE to build or buy something else. :thumbs_up

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I buy tools when I need them or when I find a tool that I have needed (but could not afford) at a price that I could not resist.

I used to buy cheap tools just to get by but found that is the worst thing to do because you always have to buy again when you realize the tool-like object you bought will not do the job.

Timmy

New User
Tim
I have found that out too Mike. I figure I will just save up, or buy a good used tool, rather spend money on a piece of junk that will need to get replaced within the year. I like searching through ebay and trying to find good deals on older tools that only need a little fixin' up, like say a no. 5 hand plane I'm searching for.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I buy tools when they're on sale, when I need them, and when I want them :) :tool:

If there is a tool I need right away to start or complete a project, I'll generally bite the bullet and get it. If there is something I want but it can wait, I'll try and get it on sale instead. A good example is the Jet parallel clamp sale a few months ago. I always want more clamps, but I have enough for most projects, so I can afford to be opportunistic. Finally, there are sales that are just so good I'll buy it even if I didn't really plan on getting it. For example, I bought a mobile base for $10 because it was $10. There was also a closeout on some excellent router bits at Amazon, so I got a bunch of those. The same goes for lumber, hardware, finishes etc. When the price is ridiculously low, I'll buy it if only to make someone else happy with it later.

The trick to this strategy is to continuously increase shop and/ or storage space. You have to stop when you find you've bought the same item twice, and never even took the first one out of its package.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I buy tools when I need them or when I find a tool that I have needed (but could not afford) at a price that I could not resist.

I used to buy cheap tools just to get by but found that is the worst thing to do because you always have to buy again when you realize the tool-like object you bought will not do the job.

+1. In my early days, whenever I did a project it was an excuse to buy the tools needed to do it. After a lifetime of this approach, I have a reasonably good collection of tools...

Timmy

New User
Tim
I buy tools when they're on sale, when I need them, and when I want them :) :tool:

If there is a tool I need right away to start or complete a project, I'll generally bite the bullet and get it. If there is something I want but it can wait, I'll try and get it on sale instead. A good example is the Jet parallel clamp sale a few months ago. I always want more clamps, but I have enough for most projects, so I can afford to be opportunistic. Finally, there are sales that are just so good I'll buy it even if I didn't really plan on getting it. For example, I bought a mobile base for $10 because it was $10. There was also a closeout on some excellent router bits at Amazon, so I got a bunch of those. The same goes for lumber, hardware, finishes etc. When the price is ridiculously low, I'll buy it if only to make someone else happy with it later.

The trick to this strategy is to continuously increase shop and/ or storage space. You have to stop when you find you've bought the same item twice, and never even took the first one out of its package.

I'd go broke if I bought tools when I want them. I think tool buying is an addiction. Do they have a rehab for that, haha?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'll be the odd one out on this one. :eek: What works for me may not work for others. So...I first ask myself "how can I do this satisfactorily with the tools that I have on hand"? Perhaps unorthodox, but it'll work. Second thought, think multi-tasking, not one-off applications collecting dust on the shelf when project A is done. OMG, I have this new tool but I now have to define project A to use it. :confused:

Lastly, buy the best that you can afford without breaking the family budget. Sometimes that's a stretch but you're better off kicking in a few extra bucks to move up a notch in quality and performance.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Like Scott said, after doing this for a very long time, I've got a fairly large collection of tools. So my purchases usually involve replacing something that has broken or worn out.

The other situation involves needing something very special for limited use, and I usually find I can make a jig for that.

Bill

tar1heel

New User
RJ
My need dictates most tool purchases, however it seems I always "need" a new tool. In fact LOML and I have an agreement concerning my honey-do list ---"No job is worth doing that doesn't require a new tool to do it with.":gar-La;

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I think tool buying is an addiction. Do they have a rehab for that, haha?

It is called Wood Guy Disease. It runs rampant here and is at epidemic proportions. The CDC in Atlanta has been working feverishly, but there is no cure for this disease :gar-La;

If you are looking for a #5 hand plane contact James Davis. He is a member here and he will treat you right. See how we feed its grip to the unsuspecting.

cpw

New User
Charles

+1

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

This +100.

manfre

New User
Manfre
My need dictates most tool purchases, however it seems I always "need" a new tool. In fact LOML and I have an agreement concerning my honey-do list ---"No job is worth doing that doesn't require a new tool to do it with.":gar-La;

That's an awesome agreement! I buy tools when I need them or when they're on sale and I think I could use it at some point. my budget and time available to shop are limited by my software consulting business. the only purchases that are budget exempt are for safety equipment. I never let a few dollars keep me from ensuring I keep functioning parts.

Timmy

New User
Tim
That's an awesome agreement! I buy tools when I need them or when they're on sale and I think I could use it at some point. my budget and time available to shop are limited by my software consulting business. the only purchases that are budget exempt are for safety equipment. I never let a few dollars keep me from ensuring I keep functioning parts.
Functioning parts are always a good thing to keep. I know what you mean by limited time for the shop.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
If I'm working on a project, I'll buy a tool if it will save me considerable time and effort. During my recent shop remodel, I bought a reciprocating saw to help take down a wall and rotary hammer drill to secure the new ones to the basement walls. The former was something I've been tempted to buy on many occasions but never really needed. Both saved me a lot of effort. Dunno if I'll ever use either one again. I try to identify what tools will be needed for each step of a project before I build it and decide if I need to buy before I start.

My case of toolguy disease seems to be in remission...mostly as a result of limited shop space, but also because I like finding new ways to use the tools I already have. I've made it to the point where there are very few things I couldn't build with what I have. Turned items being the exception (no lathe).

Don't get me wrong - I still maintain a long tool wish-list. But I save it for birthdays and xmas so I have an easy response to the corresponding inquiries. My wife buys me a nice hand tool for xmas every year. Last year was a low-angle jack plane :gar-Bi

Cato

New User
Bob
I think I fall in the area of being streaky on my tool purchases.

Once I realized that I was starting to drift or get sucked in from originally just needing some marginal tools for home DIY stuff into making this a steady hobby, I spent the last couple of years completely overhauling my shop and getting jointer, planer,DC,spindle sander, router table, miter saw, and finally in March a cabinet saw.

Now that the major stuff is there, I tend to pick up or justify to myself purchasing as needed for a project. My lastest was a 3/4 inch LN shoulder plane for trimming the tenons on my coffee table project.

The general criteria is that it needs to be used again and again so that I don't pile up one time use stuff. That said I can look in the tool cabinet and find stuff that I thought would be used a lot, but then as I got more experience it is gathering dust.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I buy tools when it meets my criteria - 1) When I can afford them, 2) When they are on sale, and finally, when a project calls for it.

Timmy

New User
Tim
Do you guys try to buy strictly out of stores or do you go on ebay and craigslist trying to find tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors