new tool rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I needed a new tool rest, to turn the weedpots, as the one that comes with the lathe was way too big.

I made this from a 1 1/2" thick piece of steel with a 1/4" piece on top and a 1 1/4 post welded up.
It proved tobe strong enough for the weedpot turning :gar-La;

smalltoolrest.jpg

I also welded up an "S" tool rest for bowls

s_toolrest.jpg

and I am making a open segment glueup platform for the new lathe, soon I will be able to turn some more open segment turnings :banana:

opensegplatform.jpg

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Nice work Earl. All these little "improvements" help make the turning process easier. :icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Way to Go Earl~!

They all look great.

Do you happen to have a step by step on how to make the jig for the open segments?

And that MDF sure looks familiar???

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Nice work Earl. All these little "improvements" help make the turning process easier. :icon_thum

Its just a platform with a thin piece of sheet metal that hangs about 1 1/2' out towards the chuck , a guide to fit the ways and a lock run through the guide.
And it goes from the center of the chuck out to the front only 1/2 the swing distance plus a couple of inches.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
:notworthy::notworthy: Great Job Earl. Got your amazing weed pots yesterday. Just one word for you. Marvelous work.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I need to make one of those... how do you bend the s-hook one?

Dan

The "S" one is made from 2 pieces bent first then welded together, just bent in a vise as best I could, the hard part was getting both pieces bent the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS