New to the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Hi everyone,
I just found out about this site and decided to join.
My name is Michael and I live in the Garner area.
As I said in my profile, I have been making more sawdust than anything else for quite a few years.
I have remodeled the last 3 houses I lived in..if they needed it or not.

I finally moved to a house that had a garage a couple of years ago.
That, combined with the fact that this spring, I got a promotion at my job which has allowed me to work on days again, has led to me actually..finally to try to put together a little shop.
There are plenty of tools that I still have no idea what they are for..but I am trying to learn.
My internest is furniture and maybe pens.

I also want to try some picture frames. Currently, we have 2 pictures hanging in my house. It occured to me that the reason that we do not have more is that very few pictures actually appeal to me and my wife. I now have the idea that I am going to start focusing on taking good family type shots, turn them into B/W photos and frame them.

My wife thinks that I have become obsessed but she is tolerating that obsession with the promise of nice things in the future.

Anyways...that pretty much sums things up.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Michael, welcome to the sawdust pile and the best WWing site around. There are several other members in your area. look forward to seeing some of your photos and work. We like photos so request an photo album and post some photos.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Michael, I am glad you joined the site and this great bunch of ww'ers. I suspect that I don't live too far from you (North Johnston Co.) if you ever need any pen making assistance.
I am sure that if you have a question about what tool to use, or the best way to use a tool the very experienced and extremely helpful membership will offer whatever kind of advice you might need.
Tell you wife that you could be obsessed with something like golf :roll: , instead of woodworking and she would have no hope of you being around the house or making her whatever she wishes....it always gets me forgiveness when I get grief from the wife for tool purchases or time spent in the shop :lol:
I look forward to your input in the forums and hope to see you around sometime.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the NCWoodworkers, Michael. We're glad you've found us and hope you'll enjoy the great folks and endless information that the site has to offer.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another warm welcome Michael!
I think you will find NCWWer to be an awesome resource for questions, answers, inspiration, and fun :icon_thum

Roger

lottathought

New User
Michael
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

And DaveO..Two things.

Telling my wife that golf will get rid of me might make clubs start to appear at my house.

Also....It does sound like you are close. I might like to come by and just watch you make a pen sometime. I have never seen it done and I can imagine that seeing it might answer 1000 questions.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

And DaveO..Two things.

Telling my wife that golf will get rid of me might make clubs start to appear at my house.

Also....It does sound like you are close. I might like to come by and just watch you make a pen sometime. I have never seen it done and I can imagine that seeing it might answer 1000 questions.

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:
You're welcome to come by just about anytime, although I might not let you watch, you'll learn more by doing :icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome Michael! Get your wife involved too! I do scroll work and some turning. LOML builds furniture kinds of things and has been remodeling the house. Enjoy the site!

I forgot I love your screen name!

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Michael,
You found a good site with lots of people that will help you along. Now the rest is up to you - learn to ask questions to make use of the experience that lurks aorund this joint!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site...

I have remodeled the last 3 houses I lived in..if they needed it or not.
It seems that you will fit right in here. I personally have never done this... nope.. never.. not me... nooo siiiirrreeeee

My internest is furniture and maybe pens.
We have quite a braintrust here in both of those departments. I'm sure you'll sooner or later see the photo albums of our memebers, but I'll go adhead and tell you, we have some expert pen makers here.

In no particular order... (sorry to those I leave out)
DaveO
Chris
Eagle

There are loads more, just look around.

lottathought

New User
Michael
DaveO..sounds good to me.

cskipper....my wife is a very smart person..no doubt about it..probably too smart to be married to me......but if she started doing this, I can be sure of a few things.
She would have less fingers...maybe less arms.
She would have somehow set herself and the garage on fire.
It would all be my fault in her opinion.

Yeah all, I am definately in a learning mode.
I have actually done more restoring lately than building but I will post a fewthings anyways.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Michael! Once you turn your first pen you'll be hooked!!! DAMHIKT...:rolf:

lottathought

New User
Michael
I just uploaded some of my recent work in the furniture projects section.
As you can tell, up to this point, I have been doing more restoral and rebuilding than actual building.
That restoral and beginner building is what has really fueled me to go farther lately however.
And you can also tell that I am still just a beginner at all this but I do like it and want to learn.
I already have several projects in mind in addition to pens and picture frames.
I would love to eventually be able to build nightstand tables and maybe even a bed one day for the bedroom.
And my eventual goal..when I get enough experience..is to attempt to build a grandfather clock.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great looking stuff Michael. I may have to pick your brain about the playset. That is on the top of my HDL (honey-do-list).

lottathought

New User
Michael
Sounds like a plan Dave.
When do you do your work? Evenings and weekends?
And I need to find out where you are located.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS