new tenon jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
After switching saws (and fences), I needed a new tenon jig. The last one wasn't too great, anyway, so I took a queue from a recent Shop Notes and built one very similar to theirs (issue 101?). Having recently acquired a lifetime supply of extra-thick MDF and some UHMW, I decided to make use of those. As you can see, it is a bit oversized for tenons - I made it large enough to also use for raising panels.

tenon_sled-front.jpg

I used 1 3/8" MDF for the main body as well as the outrigger. I was concerned all the extra weight would make it cumbersome to use, but those concerns were unfounded. It _is_ very heavy, but I waxed the inside faces and put UHMW sliders on the bottom and it glides pretty well. The extra heft certainly has made it feel very sturdy and accurate.

tenon_sled-back.jpg

I used it to plow a 2" deep groove (dado?) in the end of a table leg for a lap joint using my shiny new 8" dado - I had to go slowly, but the result was perfect.

Great way to spend a vacation day :>

eyekode

New User
Salem
I made one like this a couple years ago. It was ok but didn't have the piston-like motion I was looking for. This year I made a tenon jig that rides on my cross-cut sled. I like this one much better. The only negative is that the cross cut sled removes ~3/4" of tenon height and I have needed it before... although in those instances my bandsaw works fine.

My new one looks almost exactly like this one:

TenonJig_Mounted_sm.jpg

And it rides on the same sled: http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/post/Super-Sled-Crosscut-and-Miter-Sled.aspx

Good luck!
Salem

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Interesting. The ShopNotes sled is adjustable for different fence widths. I almost didn't do that, since I only have one fence, but decided to include that feature rather than permanently attaching the outrigger. As a result, I've been able to get a perfect fit. I was quite happy to get a perfectly smooth movement with virtually no wiggle. My last jig was thrown together in 20 minutes and the result was pretty poor...so this is a huge upgrade for me.

I plan to do a splined miter jig soon - and was considering attaching it to the tenon sled, but it might work better on my crosscut sled.

I made one like this a couple years ago. It was ok but didn't have the piston-like motion I was looking for. This year I made a tenon jig that rides on my cross-cut sled. I like this one much better. The only negative is that the cross cut sled removes ~3/4" of tenon height and I have needed it before... although in those instances my bandsaw works fine.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I like that style too. Been using one or another since the 70s even though I did buy one of the cast iron things in the 80s, I don't really like it. I also use my latest for spline slots in box corners. Yours is certainly substantial enough for many purposes and you may want incorporate this add-on for yours.

Actually, I can't find a pic, but you can envision what I'm talking about, I'm sure.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Wow! 1 3/8" MDF. That sucker ought to be heavy enough to give a good smooth cut and last a lifetime. :icon_thum

Bill

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Wow! 1 3/8" MDF. That sucker ought to be heavy enough to give a good smooth cut and last a lifetime. :icon_thum

Yeah, it is pretty beefy stuff :>

If anyone wants some, I have about 30 pieces of various sizes, mostly in the range of 10-15" wide and 18-48" long. I've got more than I'll ever use.

M

McRabbet

Chris,

I see that your jig is one that straddles the fence and relies on it moving smoothly to achieve a clean cut. I built a similar jig a few years ago from 3/4" MDF and some strips of white oak that slides in my right miter slot and against the fence. I was inspired by an article on raised panels in Wood Magazine to design this one and it has served me very well. Here are some pics: 1) Here is the jig shown making a raised panel door
22" tall -- caul holds any piece up to 30" wide or tall -- and the stop can be replaced;

2) Here is the back side -- base is 12" wide so a simple offset allows on to set the cut against the fence. The knobs allow adjustment of the miter runned to insure the straigh-line movement parallel to the blade and fence.

3) Here is another view of the front side set up for a back cut for the door panel.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Well my first jig was thrown together in a couple minutes too so maybe that was most of my problem :)
Salem

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I see that your jig is one that straddles the fence and relies on it moving smoothly to achieve a clean cut. I built a similar jig a few years ago from 3/4" MDF and some strips of white oak that slides in my right miter slot and against the fence.

Yes, it does. The movement is very smooth. Smoother than I expected. The adjustable nature of the design helped to get a perfect fit. I waxed the inside faces that slide along the fence and I assume the HDPE runners are helping, too. I like the fact that I can use the fence to make adjustments...it would be even better if I had a micro-adjust addition on my fence.

I debated making one long enough for doors like yours. When I have a need for that, I think I'll try adding a larger face to mine to see if that works. Depending on the size of the door, my carriage may not be long enough to stay on the table, though :(

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
This is going on the list as the first thing to make when the new G1023 TS arrives.

Thanks for posting your designs Chris & Rob! :icon_thum

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
This is going on the list as the first thing to make when the new G1023 TS arrives.

Thanks for posting your designs Chris & Rob! :icon_thum

I use my crosscut sled far more often, so if you don't already have one, I'd suggest starting with that. Whatever you do, don't forget to post some pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS