New sprayer advice needed

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Needle tips are no longer available for my Accuspray HVLP conversion guns. So I am free to explore all the new , or used, options. What are your ideas on spraying systems? Should I get a new conversion gun to go with my 60 gal.compressor or replace the whole set up with a turbine set up?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I can't answer your question directly from experience as I have a much smaller compressor and use simple/inexpensive SPray-it guns with water based coatings and shellac.

It helps to know what your expectations/needs/uses are:
- Clear wood finishes?
- pigment wood finishes? Stain?
- water or solvent based?
- latex or oil based paints too? Interior or exterior residential painting? Fence or deck spraying?
- Project sizes? If you have a 60 gal compressor you seems likely to have used that capability for large area spraying (large furniture pieces, case work).

That compressor I think allows you to purchase really any sort of a gun you like - but HVLP guns seem easiest , except for the category (perhaps) latex paints (if you don't want to thin that is).

The biggest advantage I see to a turbine systems is a self contained system with easy portability. If that's not important then pick a good gun or two and use that compressor of yours to full advantage

Gnospmoht

New User
George
Twenty years ago I purchase a 20 gal. PUMA compressor to use for spraying wood finishes. But after doing more research, I also ended buying an Earlax HVLP, which is all I have used all these years. One BIG advantage of HVLP is that it has minimal overspray compared to HPLV compressors.

George

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I do not have a safe spray booth. So I am usually using shellac or water based poly. Does anyone have a specific hvlp conversion gun they recommend?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the newer Spectrum from HF to use with my big compressor, but then got the medium size Earlex turbine job. I like it much better for heavier finishes. I was able to spray SW Emerald thinned only a little more than spec. If I were to buy again, I would go for an even larger one.

The reviews of the HF Black Widow are excellent FWIW reviewed for painting cars. I also have the old cheap HF 2-gun $30 kit. Painted a couple cars with it. I use much higher pressure than it is advertised for. More like a traditional gun. Spectrum is a little better, but not by much. They of course can't spray thicker finishes like the Earlex and similar. Maybe less overspray, but still makes a mess. Before my next project, I am going to adopt my pop up awning into a set up booth. Probably using screen to keep the bugs off outside.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sprayit Guns are very good for the money Tim. SP-33000 package from Northern Tool is just over a hundred bucks and comes with 2 different tips. This gun will spray with any size compressor as it is LVLP. I have sprayed stain to Enamel paint with this gun. I also have the Earlex Sprayport 6003. It is excellent

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Tim, if you want to try a turbine system, I have a Fuji Mini-mite 3 you can borrow. Also have some cheap HPLV guns (TCP) that should work fine for shellac.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Sprayit Guns are very good for the money Tim. SP-33000 package from Northern Tool is just over a hundred bucks and comes with 2 different tips. This gun will spray with any size compressor as it is LVLP. I have sprayed stain to Enamel paint with this gun. I also have the Earlex Sprayport 6003. It is excellent
Looks just like the kit form Harbor Freight. $30
If I went Fuji, I would go for the bigger 5 for thicker finishes like paint.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Wilsoncb that is a very generous offer. I would love to try your Fuji-3. That's the unit I would be likely to chose, if I go for a turbine. Please PM your address and a convenient time that I could drop by.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
A lot of great advice guys. If I stay with my compressor and a gun, I am looking for a decent mid price unit. The Devilbis finishline 4 was recommended by one of our members a coulple years ago. I think that is their FLG 670. Any experience with that gun?

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I have already purchased my FIRST batch of raffle tickets! If I wasn't in the middle of finishing a set of kitchen cabinets I might wait for this one.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Devilbiss makes a great gun but they take more air than the Sprayit guns. How big is your compressor

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
My Campbell H , 60 gal compressor claims 7 hp and 10 cfm at 90lbs. I think that's optimistic. How would I convert that to cfm at25-30 psi? Will it run the devilbiss?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Bought the Fuji minimite 3 and never regretted it, seamless operation and has sprayed everything ive tried flawlessly. Simple clean up too

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Bought the Fuji minimite 3 and never regretted it, seamless operation and has sprayed everything I've tried flawlessly. Simple clean up too
Chris - what is the range of materiasl you have sprayed? Does it include higher viscosity materials like latex paints?
Just curious - as a turbine system like this is a possible upgrade for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS