New Shop space (temporary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is the garage/shop space until we can build a shop.

IMG_03801.JPG

IMG_04442.JPG

IMG_04433.jpg

IMG_04451.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Site of future shop.

IMG_03861.JPG

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Natural light and and easy access door is a real plus. Do I see heat/AC ducts in the ceiling too?

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Mike, looks like you've got enough room to hold you over until you get the shop built. I'm sure you can find good ways to use the space efficiently until then. :thumbs_up

Every bit of climate control helps as far as I'm concerned.

Brian.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Congratulations on the new shop with attached House.:rotflm: You are going to love it. I can't wait to see pics when you get moved in.

James

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like there is a whole lot of foundation all around the pool/shop area.

Is that a diving board I see in the background in that last picture? :wsmile:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yeah, you want it? Come get it or it goes to the dump. :icon_thum

There used to be a huge pool house when I looked at it two years ago. I really wanted those 12 inch square west coast cedar beams. Whoever took down the building destroyed them. But, at least I don't have to clean up that mess, just fill in the pool and decide weather I want a concrete or wood floor in the new shop.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
My Wife would cry if she heard you were going to fill in that pool. She wants to dig out the backyard and put in a pool. To bad the timing doesn't work, or we could give you all the dirt you would need.:gar-Bi

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
It appears to me that the shop area in the new house is larger than what you currently have. I know it is at least 3 times as large as what I have. As to the new shop, I would backfill the pool making sure of good compaction to within 6" and pour concrete. I would use the retaining wall as one side of the shop. The concrete and existing tile will be fine. Get some hush puppies if you have tender feet. Congratulations, the house looks great. Looks like a real big house. Hope you enjoy.
James

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
When you build the new shop over that pool, you know you'll catch some grief over your artsy stone pathway to your wood haven. :rolf:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The temporary shop space looks pretty good to me, Mike. I know I've worked in much smaller spaces at times.

As for wood versus concrete floor, I opted for wood over an ample crawl space and am glad I did. Not only is it easier on old legs, but also convenient if you want to run wiring or D/C to something in the middle of the shop. Here's something I learned from one of the building inspectors: to add a little cushion, plus some extra insulation, lay a double layer of heavy duty roofing felt down between the subfloor and finish floor. Every little bit helps. :icon_thum

Bill

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Mike,
Congrats again on the purchase. A question: When you build your shop over the pool will you have a driveway access to the shop? Walking down from the house is one thing, but unloading a load of lumber, etc. is something else. Again, congrats, and let me know if and when you need help moving.
Jim in Mayberry

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
For temporary shop space, that's not bad at all. Much bigger than what I'm working in. It's weird being in a "temporary" shop. I'm so tempted to put cabinets in and a bunch of other things, but don't want to waste a bunch of time and money when it will all have to be taken down. I dream of the day when I finally have my shop..... :rolleyes: Looks good Mike. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Glennbear

Glenn
For temporary shop space, that's not bad at all. Much bigger than what I'm working in. It's weird being in a "temporary" shop. I'm so tempted to put cabinets in and a bunch of other things, but don't want to waste a bunch of time and money when it will all have to be taken down. I dream of the day when I finally have my shop..... :rolleyes: Looks good Mike. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Just a thought here Trent that maybe Mike can utilize also. Cabinets etc. can be built on a french cleat hanging system, removed when you a have a permanent space and rehung the same way. I am a fan of shaker woodworking and they used a similar system of hanging stuff off the walls.:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS