New Shed questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

janderso

New User
Jeff
Hello everyone!

I am building a shed in my back yard, and I have never really undertaken a project of this caliber before. I've build plenty of shelves and tables, but my buildings experience is limited to "Habitat for Humanity"

I talked to the county inspection office and found out about getting a permit, and I was planning to have my lot surveyed (we just bought the house). My plan is to build a 16'x24' building with a "A" shaped roof and a pier and beam floor. I also thought of having a slab poured, but I thought the pier and beam floor would be much cheaper.

So, I ask all of you for advice.

One question I know to ask is how deep should my foundation be? I know it should be below the frost line, but how do I know how deep that is?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would think the local building inspector/dept can tell you how deep the code call for. I can't imagine it is more then 18". Maybe even less in your area.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi Jeff, and welcome to North Carolina Woodworker.

One thing that you may want to consider is to purchase a "garage kit" from one of the major lumberyards. 84 lumber has a wide variety available, as do others.

They have the advantage of having engineer stamped drawings, which helps smooth the way through the permitting process, as well as foundation designs, and are competitive priced as opposed to building from scratch.

The nature of your foundation will depend upon your floor loading an pier spacing (if you do pier and beam). If you pour a slab foundation, in our area you can probably get by with a 4" slab on top of 4" of gravel, with an external footer around 18" deep. As ScottM advised, check with your local building dept.

Be sure to put a vapor barrier down underneath the slab (on top of the gravel) if you go the concrete route, to help eliminate moisture inside the new shop.

I seem to recall a thread here about 6 weeks ago about one of our members in SC undergoing a simliar project, so you might want to search the archives.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome, Jeff.
Another thing you may need to consider when building your shed is are you in a subdivision? If so, this raises 2 questions regarding your lot:
1. Are there deed covenants or restrictions above local zoning regulations allowing such structures?
2. Is your lot one that was mass graded for the subdivision? In such cases, building pads are built up with structural fill to support the house. Beyond the pad area you may encounter large quantities of organic fill or undocumented fill areas that would not support buildings. Even though your shed is not that large, you could experience some settling.

jtdums

New User
Jim
One more thing to add, if you are in a subdivision check the covenants to see if they have more restrictive set backs than the county. I got burned on this one with my outbuilding when I went to sell. Although the county had a 10' setback from the side of the lot, the covenants were written to 15' and I was in violation. I had to go before the board and beg forgiveness and get retroactive board approval. Not fun.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I highly recommend Nick Engler's book on Renovating Barns,Sheds and Outbuildings ISBN: 1580172164.

He is a great author and teacher, as well as a very informative book. It has enough info to build a Shed.

It wasn't clear what your plan was for the shed. Workshop or place for "junk"?

No matter which way you go, my hard learned advice..... put up gutters. My shed/shop was put in by the prior owners. The back splash from rain and <self moderated> incorrectly installed block piers led to the joist headers rotting. I ended up having to jack the whole thing up and rebuild large parts of the floor and dig out new piers.

So, spend that extra $100 and get some gutters.

Jim

DaveD

New User
Dave
Yep check the building codes, setbacks, and covenants for sure.
Some jurisdictions allow a 'portable shed' that you could just build on concrete corner/intermediate piers set on top of the ground. Others have limits on size, above which, it becomes a regular structure subject to all the building codes for things such as framing/footer requirements.

I build one about 5 years ago that was 12x12 and built it like a deck on the ground (on 9 piers), tied it down with trailer tie downs twisted down in to the ground (hardest part of the whole job). and then conventionally stick framed the shed on top of the deck. Was about $2500 in materials back then. T-111 siding 2 windows and double doors. The 12x12 did not require a permit.

Buy a couple of books on framing houses to get some idea of the 'right' way to build a structure. 16x24 will be a challenge with no prior experience but if you educate yourself first it should go ok.

Just remember that typically plywood comes in 4x8 sheets (yeah I know it comes bigger) and lumber in 2' increments above 8' long. You don't need a roof overhang that requires 24'-3" or other dimensions that require a few inches over the standard size of lumber/plywood.

Doing one on a concrete slab has its own challenges.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I built my shop a few years back and used a 16 x 24 garage package from BDC (Builders Discount Center). I deleted the overhead door from the package and added more windows (I didn't want to lose the wall space and most anything built was going through a house door anyway so it had to come out of the shop through a house door). Because I had a 3' drop in grade between diagonal corners I decided to go with piers instead of moving a bunch of dirt and pouring concrete. PS: most garage packages do not include floors, they are meant to be put on a slab. Their blueprints are sufficient for the local permits. Yes, watch setbacks closely. Mine was 15' per code and when I laid out where the piers were going I laid them out so the wall was 15' from the line. Glad I doubled checked with the zoning department, set back here is measured from the furtherest extension of the building, ie: the edge of the eaves. So, I had to move my layout 2' further away from the line. Just something little like that can give you grief if you don't know about it in the beginning. Just a side note, going with piers gives you a crawl space for storage and for running some DC lines and electrical lines under the floor plus a wood floor for comfort. Pix of my shop are in my gallery should you care to look. Good luck with your construction.

George

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Didnt your neighbor (Mr Audio) just build one?
He should have a lot of the info you need, I know he got a permit and had it inspected.

janderso

New User
Jeff
Yes, thank you all for the info! I talked to Mr Audio and I've looked at his shed also. I like the idea of a kit... :gar-Bi I'm pretty good with instructions! And I've been looking around for books and info on the www.

I was planning to use it as a work shop... but also to store my lawn mower and such. I got to that size by drawing a square and measuring out where I wanted to put everything and drawing it in a notebook.

I have covenants in my sub-division, but they say a 10' setback on the side and 25' from the rear. The only things I have to do from the covenants in to get a permit, get an OK from the developer, and build it so that it is similar to my house (color, shingles, etc). And I think gutters are a great idea!

Well, thanks again for all of your input! I will do some more research, and I will be sure and post pictures as I start!!!!!

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
My best advice is to figure out how big you think it needs to be and build it bigger - much bigger...

...and higher ceilings are nice too. My barn/shop has 7' ceilings and I'm forever smacking the lights and ceiling joists with long boards or tall projects. If I ever build a new shop it will have at least 9' ceilings.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Please post progress reports and pictures. You are taking on a good size project so go slow and if you are not sure about something, ask!! Just remember square and plumb is good, especially in rough openings.

I have a 16x24 shop with 8' ceilings and I wish I had 9 or 10' ceilings! You are welcome to visit to see how my shop is set up. One thing though, there's no room for a lawnmower! :banana: :banana: :banana:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Jeff,

I'll take you over to Earl's whenever you would like to go check his shed out. Not saturday morning though, taking the ACT.

If you want more ideas you can come and look at mine, its got power on it.
I am only about 10 miles away.

And it is a pretty AWEsome Shop Earl.

janderso

New User
Jeff
Awesome!!! I will definitely have to go with taller ceilings!!! That appears to be a reoccurring theme!

Saturday sounds great! I like going to other people's shops, its almost like getting one of those fancy magazines with all the "toys" in them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS