New segmented vase

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I finally got some shop time this week and worked on the segmented vase plans recently provided by @Bill_L. There are 12 rings of 16 segments. Woods are maple, walnut, mahogany, and possibly Brazilian Cherry. I finished with 3 coats of clear shellac, followed by 2 coats of wax.

20220806_202911.jpg

(yes, I am aware I have a couple rings out of alignment...mistakes were made in trying a new press for the rings.)

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Neal, Looking good.
Because a press can cause misalignment I refuse to use one.
I have eight 1 gal metal paint cans filled with play sand and water which weigh about 18# each. I set 1,2 or 3 on top of the ring assembly and that allows me to fine tune the ring alignment.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Quiet nice even with some rings out of kilter.. Will it actually be used as a vase or more as an art piece?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt, it's just an art piece. I did seal the inside work shellac, but i doubt it is watertight.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Not being a segmented turner, I had to take a second look to see what you mean. That might not be what you intended exactly, but IMO it still looks great.

The finish looks nice and smooth too and that's hard to do with shellac so I'm curious; did you brush, spray, or french polish it?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Well Neal, had you not mentioned that there were some rings out of alignment, I would have never noticed! Great job! That's a keeper!

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
The finish looks nice and smooth too and that's hard to do with shellac so I'm curious; did you brush, spray, or french polish it?
Scott, i used a rag dipped in shellac to apply while the lathe was running at a very slow speed. After each coat dried, I very lightly sanded with 600 grit sandpaper, again while lathe was running. Wax was applied the same fashion.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Neal, Looking good.
Because a press can cause misalignment I refuse to use one.
I have eight 1 gal metal paint cans filled with play sand and water which weigh about 18# each. I set 1,2 or 3 on top of the ring assembly and that allows me to fine tune the ring alignment.

The simplicity of your solutions never cease to amaze me Charlie.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS