New Saw Tote - Disston D-8

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnable

New User
Andrew
I have an old Disston D-8 saw with a broken horn that was my grandfathers.

Rather that trying to just glue-on and shape the missing part, I decided to make a new saw tote.
A friend donated a chunk of mahogany. Here is blow by blow description of the process.

First I roughed in the blank to size and split it in half using the bandsaw:

IMG_1010.jpg

(You can see the old apple wood handle sitting there in back.) I used a router plane to remove a kerf-width worth of wood in the shape of the blade - and drilled some reference holes:
IMG_1011.jpg

The reference holes allowed me to reestablish the blade outline once the two halved were glued-up:
IMG_1012.jpg

I made some relief cuts with a back-saw, drilled out all of the circular features using forstner bits, and roughed in the shape using a turning saw:
DSC_0005.jpg

Then I coped out the hand grip and now it is time for the rasp:
DSC_0006.jpg

(In the background is the handle from different saw - I liked the shaped of this one and how it felt in my hand - so I reproduced the blade side from the broken D-8 tote, and the grip side from this one).
After removing everything that didn't look like a saw tote :gar-Bi and working my way though some sandpaper grits, I drilled out holes for the fasteners.After around 3 hours of shaping, I ended up with:
IMG_1014.jpg

I've finished it off with some boiled linseed oil, a few coats of shellac, and some paste wax. Now I just have to figure out how to sharpen a cross-cut saw!

Andrew

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
An excellent save of a family heirloom tool. As for sharpening, it is easy but time consuming and while you are sharpening don't forget to check and set the teeth.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Beautiful work! You could have gone to flea market / yard sale and picked up a donor saw also. Bill Anderson teaches saw sharpening.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I have and old Disston with a chipped horn that digs into the base of my thumb when sawing. Every time I use it I think about replacing the tote. I was hung up on how I would cut the slot. I never thought about splitting it. Great idea! I am now thinking that instead of routing the slot, I may just glue in a piece of contrasting veneer.

Thanks again. Great post.

schnable

New User
Andrew
I have and old Disston with a chipped horn that digs into the base of my thumb when sawing. Every time I use it I think about replacing the tote. I was hung up on how I would cut the slot. I never thought about splitting it. Great idea! I am now thinking that instead of routing the slot, I may just glue in a piece of contrasting veneer.

Thanks again. Great post.

I was reading another blog and some one there suggested halving the blank as a possible technique (so I can't take credit for the idea.) I wonder how disston did it in the first place? I think the contrasting veneer would look sharp.

Andrew

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I was reading another blog and some one there suggested halving the blank as a possible technique (so I can't take credit for the idea.) I wonder how disston did it in the first place? I think the contrasting veneer would look sharp.

Andrew

It's my understanding that they had some sort of thin kerf circular saw mounted horizontally that cut into the handle. Disston pioneered this as a way to add bearing surface to better support the blade, especially if the nuts became loose. Prior to this, the kerf was cut with a straight saw. Anyhow, I have some walnut and could use a piece of maple veneer.

I'm adding it to the project list.

-G

BWSmith

New User
BW
Nice handle/tote you've made.

Reason for response is a bit on the historic side,with a small amt of practical'ity for spice.Don't be too quick to dispose(I know you won't)of or look down on that old broken handle.It was/is common practice to "de-horn" handsaws.We're still using handsaws here that are WELL into their second hundred years of service to my family.Some....and its a bit more prevalent than folks "may" want to recognize....of these "original" handsaws have been de-horned.

Obviously we need to be dang careful with old saws/equip......just saying,you can tastefully de-horn that old handle and besides,"saving it"....make it a reasonably accurate example of handtool design from yesteryear.

Reasons for their removal is at least a chapter's worth in a good book...so will save you the short-stories.

schnable

New User
Andrew
Well - I still have the old handle. The saw was a pain to use without the horn - it would wiggle on the push stroke and the sharp edges of the broken horn would bite. Obviously not what Mr. Disston intended.

BWSmith

New User
BW
I wonder how many feet of wood Mr. Disston ever handsawed?Ever use one backwards?

Just sayin,they're routinely cut off,and have been for a mighty loooong time......no biggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS