New respect for Scrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
OK, Went to the TWA meeting on Scrollsawing a few weeks ago. Purchased my first Scrollsaw within two weeks. Hitachi brand from Lowes.

I Have been playing around all weekend and have learned a new respect for this stuff. Plenty of patience are needed.

Have gotten the changing blade thing down, I think it's just the number of times I have to remove the blade and try to feed it though my little drill holes that frustrating.

No pics yet maybe in a few days.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I thought you said, "I don't know why I am here, I don't need one of these in addition to all the other things I'm doing?" ....
[EVIL]He's got WGD bad. [/EVIL]

Looking forward to the pics Wayne. :wsmile:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
There is a serious round of WGD going around. If we are all lucky, it will be the worst case in years :-D

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Wayne,

It amazes me at how many different skills that we have to learn everytime we get a new machine. To say that we are woodworkers is such a general term. A little knowledge of everything helps, but when people start specializing (as in turning, scrolling, inlaying, pyrography, etc.) it seems to become such an art. Good luck with the scrollsaw, I haven't seemed to find the interest, or have the patience with the cheap one that I have to warrant buying a better saw. But.... who knows what will happen eventually.

Jimmy:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
New respect? Whatever happened to the old respect?!!? :) Fortunately, I'm not the kind of guy that looks at a scroll saw and plywood and thinks "I could do that". It's more "oohhh, tool...shiny".

Sorry, couldn't think of anything clever with the plywood.

But in all seriousness Wayne: Kudos for trying. I have new respect for you for sticking with it!

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I thought you said, "I don't know why I am here, I don't need one of these in addition to all the other things I'm doing?" ....
[evil]He's got WGD bad. [/evil]

Looking forward to the pics Wayne. :wsmile:

Will,

Didn't I give you my wallet and tell you "DO NOT GIVE THIS BACK NO MATTER WHAT I SAY" :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I can honestly say no, you didn't give me your wallet ... because then I'd be the one with the new scrollsaw.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
My entire family seems to be amazed that I have any aptitude for scroll saw use - because of the whole "patience" thing.

Stick with it ebarr. For me it has become a "zen" thing - concentrating on the work at hand. I know as soon as my mind starts wandering, it's time to shut off the saw and walk away. But I walk away so calmed and refreshed...except for the pain in my back from sitting still for so long :rolf:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wayne,

Congrats on trying to scroll. :icon_thum I have yet to try it, but if it requires a great deal of patience, I'm not sure how I'll do. :roll: Can't wait to see some pics! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent :icon_bigg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
My entire family seems to be amazed that I have any aptitude for scroll saw use - because of the whole "patience" thing.

Stick with it ebarr. For me it has become a "zen" thing - concentrating on the work at hand. I know as soon as my mind starts wandering, it's time to shut off the saw and walk away. But I walk away so calmed and refreshed...except for the pain in my back from sitting still for so long :rolf:

I am the same way. My wife was in shock that I could concentrate so long on that when I can be so impatient. I currently don't have a scroll saw. I was wearing out the blade holders on the cheap one I had and a better one is on the "some day" list.

I am with you on the patience and Zen aspects. I get locked in on it. Patience is irrelevant when you are unaware of the passage of time. From the time the saw is powered on until I turn it off, it's like nothing exists except the blade, the wood and the line I am following.

Ommm....
chant.gif

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
From the time the saw is powered on until I turn it off, it's like nothing exists except the blade, the wood and the line I am following.
...and your fingers!:eusa_danc

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
From the time the saw is powered on until I turn it off, it's like nothing exists except the blade, the wood and the line I am following.
...and your fingers!:eusa_danc
That's true; you don't want to become one with the saw. :saw::rotflm:

When you get in the zone on a scrollsaw, hand position becomes almost automatic. It's hard to describe, but I would almost feel like I was willing the wood to be in the right place. When I was very consciously thinking through every step I did not cut as smoothly, quickly or accurately. yeah, I know; I am a little out there sometimes...

cskipper

Cathy
I agree with the zen kind of thing. You can't think about anything else while scrolling, you just get all absorbed into trying to follow the line. Then you want to try thinner lines, more intricate patterns. When I finish cutting something and really look at it, I am completely amazed that I did that! Wayne, when feeding the blade through all the holes is frustrating - take a break. If it's too frustrating instead of challenging it is no fun.

b4man

New User
Barbara
You go BOY!

I'm still trying to find my way around my scroll saw and cut something worthy of a photo! Don't tell Cathy, but I also use my saw for cutting off dowels and other small objects!

Just have fun with it.:gar-La;

cskipper

Cathy
You go BOY!

I'm still trying to find my way around my scroll saw and cut something worthy of a photo! Don't tell Cathy, but I also use my saw for cutting off dowels and other small objects!

Just have fun with it.:gar-La;

Watch it Barbara - I'll reactivate my monthly calendar reminder to ask you what you have scrolled recently :laugh: Wayne -some folks need a little more prodding than others :rotflm:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Scrollers have my utmost respect, I have a scroll saw and have yet to get the nerve to make anything worth posting a gloat. My hat is off to all of you who have that much patience.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am the same way. My wife was in shock that I could concentrate so long on that when I can be so impatient. I currently don't have a scroll saw. I was wearing out the blade holders on the cheap one I had and a better one is on the "some day" list.

I am with you on the patience and Zen aspects. I get locked in on it. Patience is irrelevant when you are unaware of the passage of time. From the time the saw is powered on until I turn it off, it's like nothing exists except the blade, the wood and the line I am following.

Ommm....
chant.gif

Wow we must be twins or triplettes from different mothers. It sounds like you are describing me. My wife swears that one night I will pull an all nighter. Once I switch on the saw I forget about time, my chores and even eating ( well not really eating ). The Zen aspect is almost as good as..............

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Scrollers have my utmost respect, I have a scroll saw and have yet to get the nerve to make anything worth posting a gloat. My hat is off to all of you who have that much patience.

Now that you have quit smoking, you may need this zen thing going to keep your mind on something.:-D

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Now that you have quit smoking, you may need this zen thing going to keep your mind on something.:-D

You just may be on to something there, I feel like I have so many hands and they are all reaching for a smoke.
:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS