New project dining table

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Just to share some initial thoughts with you all.

Background is the client has a fairly traditionally furnished house with many older style pieces. They came to me with a request for a glass topped table that would sit 8 people. I looked at their house and considered that a "normal" glass top table would look out of place in a traditional setting and that a table large enough for 8 would have a lot of "nothing" in it! In addition, the thought of looking through glass at peoples feet while eating dinner didn't seem like a good idea.

To tackle the first problem of style I came up with the design for the "legs" as sort of "Mission style" constructed in White Oak. The legs are curved and coopered. I thought of just posts 2" x 2" initially set into feet, but again due to the size (86 x 44) they looked like a picket fence. The concept shown lends it's self better I think.

To try and solve the second and third problems I came up with the concept of a "Shoji" like structure immediately under the glass. This would break up the large glass area and give more visual appeal.

So far the client likes the ideas. Your comments also would be appreciated.

The design idea belongs to the client so please no copying at this stage if you don't mind. Should you even like the thing!!:lol: :lol:

The actual design of the "Shoji" is still under review at the moment.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Wow Dave
That is very innovative and impressive design. Once again you stepped out side the box :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DavidF

New User
David
Wow Dave
That is very innovative and impressive design. Once again you stepped out side the box :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

We had the clients over on Sunday and had a design review. This really got them exited at the prospect of having a unique table.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I like the design, but I am not a fan of glass tops. When I have had them, I could never keep them clean.

rhett

New User
rhett
A very nicely designed piece. :eusa_clap The soji concept to break up all that glass is a good idea, I would personally like to see the contrasting wood under the glass somehow incorporated into the "legs". Would your client be interested in a possible frosted border? Also, what CAD program are you using?

DavidF

New User
David
A very nicely designed piece. :eusa_clap The soji concept to break up all that glass is a good idea, I would personally like to see the contrasting wood under the glass somehow incorporated into the "legs". Would your client be interested in a possible frosted border? Also, what CAD program are you using?

The "shoji" will pass through and be mortised into the top of the curved legs. The side Shoji runs will be also be mortised into the top outside corner of the legs. The parts that run from the side towards the centre two support beams will also be set into the beams, so I think it will look fairly well integrated.

Not sure about the frosting; I will put it up as an idea. They were speaking to their glass supplier this week.

Solidworks with the photoworks add in for the renderings.

DavidF

New User
David
I think it looks great and the structure seems quite sturdy. Proportions are very well balanced.

How much room do the people have seated at each end? Is there room to set the chairs completely under the table on the ends?

At the design review on Sunday, we all sat around the table and checked shoulder room and leg room etc. There is 14" clear at the ends and their existing chairs will go under. We also looked at a few design books I have and confirmed most of the dims concure with those for an "average" 8 seater table. The beauty of CAD at this stage is I can always move things!!

rhett

New User
rhett
After further review of the initial rendering, I have a better understanding of how the shoji will fit and how it is spelled. When I stated I would like to see the shoji in the legs, I was invisioning a thru tenon on the stretcher. BTW nice delume table in your photo gallery.

DavidF

New User
David
After further review of the initial rendering, I have a better understanding of how the shoji will fit and how it is spelled. When I stated I would like to see the shoji in the legs, I was invisioning a thru tenon on the stretcher. BTW nice delume table in your photo gallery.

There are through tenons on the top 2 support beams, 3 in each and also in the bottom stretcher also 3. These will be wedged with a contrasting wood. Appologize for the shoddy rendering of the shoji, but as the design of that is still fluid I didn't bother to do full mating of the parts so they look a bit rough. This pic shows the tenons quite well.

J

jeff...

And here I thought you were going to do this out of a solid wide cupped board or two :slap: cool design.

M

McRabbet

David -- beautiful design... A question on the "shoji" -- is it going to be fabricated in metal or wood? If wood, it appears too slender to have any strength, even though the primary weight of the glass will rest on the legs. My concern is the person who gets up from their chair and uses the edge of the glass top to push themselves upright (my wife has bad knees and I know this happens).

Rob

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice legs! I like the proportions, too.

I think it would look neat to curve the top support beams to flow into the curved outer "legs" but from the sound of it that may be too much given the other furniture in the house.

It's a beautiful design, David.

Chuck

DavidF

New User
David
David -- beautiful design... A question on the "shoji" -- is it going to be fabricated in metal or wood? If wood, it appears too slender to have any strength, even though the primary weight of the glass will rest on the legs. My concern is the person who gets up from their chair and uses the edge of the glass top to push themselves upright (my wife has bad knees and I know this happens).

Rob

I don't think there will be any weight put on the shoji. It is actually "floating" underneath the glass and should support its own weight though the tenons into the centre beams and legs and the box sections formed by the half laps that are used at the cross over points of the shoji members - that's the theory anyway! It is currently in wood and is 1/2" x 1/2" section, but I am thinking of making it 3/8 x 1/2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS