New project! A couple of Roubo style workbenches

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, my little workbench feels puny now. But then it is scaled for a Ken-sized workshop not a Scott-sized one.

If I had one the size you're contemplating I couldn't get into and out of the shop.

Can't wait to see the WIP pictures from both builds.

The pallet-jack idea is a good one.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So who just so happens to have a military grade crane at his disposal??? We'll that would be Scott Smith - that's who :gar-La;

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Sure did!

Kettrel, your slab was produced at the event when we set my log up. It came from the 54" red oak log that is in my avatar (from the Habitat for Humanity location in Pittsboro).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott...This will be one for the Guiness Book of Records!!!..Surely you will dovetail the legs into the top:nah:
Did you by chance save any of that gorgeous second picture to make into veneer :gar-Bi ????

High time I got down to take a look at this monster-in-the-making

Just got some Haribo Gummy Bears

Don

(Grin) Don, you can leave your Gummy Bears at home when you come over! The second photo IS of some veneer. Best to wait a few weeks until Maurice and I get started in earnest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I was surprised to see that 8 months had passed since Maurice and I last worked on our benches! Oh well, life happens....

Fortunately today we were able to pick up where we left off and resume work on the Roubo's. Today's project was to determine the widths of the individual planks and do the initial rough edging, and to S2S the two planks for my bench.

Due to the size of the planks, the easiest way to do an initial clean up on the edges was to set them up in the Baker sawmill. Here are some pix:

Edging one of Maurice's slabs

Edging Maurices slabs.JPG

Preparing to edge one of my slabs:

Edging Scotts slab.JPG

Joint/planing the slabs for my bench (we joint/planed Maurice's slabs back in February):

joint planing.JPG

Bookmatched pair of QSRO slabs! Next step is removing some of the checked pith wood that runs along one edge of the slabs.

Bookmatched quartersawn slabs.JPG

Tomorrow we are planning to fill some of the voids with some colored epoxy, and hopefully on Friday we can get together again to complete the edge jointing (1/2" diameter, 4" long spiral upcut end mill in a Festool track router) and then to glue the two slabs together. Both of our finished bench tops should be around 24" wide, give or take.

More to come!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A couple of wooden megaliths under construction! :eek:

+1 to a few butt joints and healthy doses of Gorilla glue.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
After thinking about it, I think you should go with a sliding dovetail joint to put the two slabs together. You know, just in case you want to disassemble it later.

K

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Scott, this is really cool stuff, thanks for posting the update...keep it coming!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
They are just getting started and already my bench sucks - thanks guys :( :lol

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Maurice and I were able to put in a few more hours of work on the benches today. The planks that will make up my top were trimmed closer to final size. We are designing both benches to be <25" wide on top as that is the maximum width of my jointer/planer, and the thought of hand planing these beasts or feeding them through a wide belt sander after glue up is somewhat underwhelming....

Because one edge of my slabs had some pith wood present, it had checked fairly extensively during the drying process. Stuart Kent kindly agreed to provide some design consultation; after some idea bouncing with Stuart, Maurice and I set my slabs back up in the sawmill to trim a few inches more of pith wood out. This in turn significantly reduced the amount of checked areas that require filling.

After trimming the plank width, Maurice and I taped up the slabs and applied some West System epoxy to fill the voids.

Maurice taping planks.jpg

Maurice, Stuart and I all bounced some ideas about color, and in the end decided that black was probably the best option due to some discoloration near the checks.

Maurice and I mixed in some black dye and filled in some of the checked portions that will be visible after the benches are complete, and then we used undyed epoxy to fill in the rest.

Long planks epoxied.jpg

I had to make a quick trip to West Marine late this afternoon to pick up some more epoxy (arrived 4 minutes before closing - whew!), and I finished filling in the voids late tonight after a pre-scheduled meeting was complete.

Short planks epoxied.jpg

Tomorrow's goal is to edge joint all of the slabs and glue the tops together. The plan is to use a 4" end mill bit in a router, and run the router down a track to provide the necessary guidance.

More to come....

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
After thinking about it, I think you should go with a sliding dovetail joint to put the two slabs together. You know, just in case you want to disassemble it later.

K

Great idea! Would you mind stopping by and showing me how to make the dovetail? You can demonstrate on our bench tops..... :D

eyekode

New User
Salem
Obviously I have never done anything on this scale (who has?!?).

But if I had to joint such timber I would use the trick of folding the boards together and jointing both edges at once which will compensate for errors.

Good luck an thanks for the pictures!!

<edit> a Thally what is wrong with the current edges? Didn't you use that monster 4 side planner/jointer you have?

Another option: glue it, rip it, glue it back.

Last edited:

Rick M

New User
Rick
Yeah it doesn't count unless you use sliding tapered dovetails. Be a shame to do all that work for nothing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS