New project! A couple of Roubo style workbenches

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Fellow NCWW member Maurice Ungaro and I have been talking for over a year about building a couple of Roubo style workbenches, and recently we decided to move forward with on our plans. The project really started back in 2008 when I was contacted by a homeowner who lived in an old neighborhood in downtown Monroe, NC. He had a massive old red oak tree in his front yard that had been struck by lightning and was starting to die. Rather than see the tree go to a landfill, he contacted me to enquire if I was interested in the log (I was). Here is the photo that he sent me of his tree:

Monroe_tree1_b.jpg

The trunk produced a log that had a small end diameter of 54”, a length of 16’ and a large end diameter of almost 72”. The log weighed over 20,000 lbs, and contained some spectacular quartersawn lumber such as these 16” wide examples:

16 inch qsro veneer 3C.jpg

I coordinated with the tree removal company, and a crane was used to load the log onto my trailer, and a second crane was used to unload it back at the farm. Here it sat waiting for an appropriate opportunity.

Scott_monroe_log_2.jpg

In 2011 a gathering of local NCWoodworker members met at my farm for an event where we slabbed a 14” thick, 48” wide and 6’ long quartersawn red oak piece into some workbench slabs. This event was hosted by myself and SMC member David Nelson. SMC member David Kuzdrall made a spectacular coffee table from one of the slabs which is documented somewhere in previous posts. As part of the slabbing event, we used a crane to set the Monroe log up in the sawmill for future milling.

Picking the log (c).jpg

setting the log (c).jpg

Shortly thereafter I was able to schedule some time to mill the log, producing several wide, 16/4 quartersawn red oak slabs. The slabs averaged 20” wide and 13’7” long.

Milling (c).jpg

After a few years of air drying, a couple of months ago I measured the moisture content and it was below 20% so I slipped the slabs into the kiln to bring them down below 10% as well as to sterilize them.

Yesterday Maurice stopped by the shop and we sorted through the slabs, setting aside one for him (with an alternate) and a couple of bookmatched ones for me. In a couple of weeks we will start the process to surface the slabs and joint two of them together to make the bench tops. We will trim off the punky sapwood and most likely end up with some benches with tops that are in the 24” – 26” wide range. Maurice is planning a bench around 6’6” long, and I am planning to build a 12 footer.

Maurice and slabs (c).jpg

Scott and slabs (c).jpg

About 14 years ago (before I owned my sawmills) I arranged for a local sawyer to cut some oak trees from my farm into large beams. Several months ago I surfaced a few 10” x 10” beams to use for support posts for my bench. Note the quarter in the photo! The stretchers will most likely be made from some 4” x 10” beams that I had sawn at the same time. Maurice will probably make his bench legs from some of the same 4 x 10’s.

Leg material (c).jpg

Maurice is more of a Neanderthal, and I’m an equipment junky, so the build ought to be interesting by combining our respective methods. The raw slabs weigh around 300 lbs each, so it will be fun to see just how far Maurice wants to take this neander business! :D

As we progress with our builds, I’ll post updates to the thread.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I can't wait to watch this build take place. The bench you're building will certainly go well in your shop, where everything is large. Where are you going to put it? I assume you will have to position it w/ a fork lift?

eyekode

New User
Salem
Should be epic :). At 12' are you doing 6 legs? What about vises?

I don't envy you moving those pieces around. My legs are 4x6 and heavy! My top is two pieces. Each one ~11x2 3/4x80 and it took all I had strength wise to move/work them.

I also recommend a split top like in the benchcrafted designs. I find it very useful.

Good luck!
Salem

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Salem, I am only planning on 4 legs. If I leave a 2' overhang on each end, and then subtract 10" for each leg, the span will only be a little over 6'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Your going to enjoy working lightening struck oak, it just kind of lays there... hence why those slabs are so flat and straight.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I thought that they were flat and straight because they were quartersawn... ;)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I thought that they were flat and straight because they were quartersawn... ;)

That will do it... when cutting logs for myself i QS. Guess i spoiled myself thanks to you Scott. No more flatsawn for me for this guy

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My gosh guys! I wish I had you level of equipment. But! Here I am an old 73 years old geezer, and I probely could'n use it if I had it.,

Pop

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Is it just the angle of the picture, or is the saw mill blade about right to decapitate you if you slip?

Glennbear

Glenn
Salem, I am only planning on 4 legs. If I leave a 2' overhang on each end, and then subtract 10" for each leg, the span will only be a little over 6'.

Given the thickness of your bench top I would guess that you did not have to consult the sagulator to determine if your design was ok. :rotflm:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Is it just the angle of the picture, or is the saw mill blade about right to decapitate you if you slip?

Adam, it normally has a guard over the blade, but we removed it for double cutting.

Running the swing-blade mill is like using a tablesaw or flying a small airplane; it's not inherently dangerous... it's just extremely unforgiving if you lose your concentration.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Given the thickness of your bench top I would guess that you did not have to consult the sagulator to determine if your design was ok. :rotflm:

Indeed. I did not feel any deflection when I stood in the middle of the planks just before that photo was snapped, and the cribbing was 10' apart so I think that I"ll be good... :D

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I can't wait to watch this build take place. The bench you're building will certainly go well in your shop, where everything is large. Where are you going to put it? I assume you will have to position it w/ a fork lift?

Bill, I sold my other bench last week. I think that I'll reorientate the toolbox from the north wall to the east wall (next to the lathe), and put the new bench where the old one was. I'll probably have to relocate the jointer/planer.

Re the forklift, the finished weight will probably be around 600 - 700 lbs, with 400 lbs or so being the top. I'll probably design the lower stretchers so that it's easy to pick it up with a pallet jack.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Scott, is that the tree and project I purchased the slab for my roubo style work bench from you a couple years ago? If so, I'm definitely interested in following this build so I can get comfortable with going ahead with my workbench build!!

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Scott, I assume you'll just do the typical butt joints and pocket screws for the joinery, reinforced with 23ga pins, right?

K

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, is that the tree and project I purchased the slab for my roubo style work bench from you a couple years ago? If so, I'm definitely interested in following this build so I can get comfortable with going ahead with my workbench build!!

Did you purchase on of the six footers that we milled?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, I assume you'll just do the typical butt joints and pocket screws for the joinery, reinforced with 23ga pins, right?

K

Nah, I was just going to use Gorilla glue to stick it all together...(grin)

Touchwood

New User
Don
Scott...This will be one for the Guiness Book of Records!!!..Surely you will dovetail the legs into the top:nah:
Did you by chance save any of that gorgeous second picture to make into veneer :gar-Bi ????

High time I got down to take a look at this monster-in-the-making

Just got some Haribo Gummy Bears

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors