new member in Indian Trail

thefwis

New User
Tom
Hi, I'm Tom. I recently moved to area originally from Wisconsin. I have been doing simple woodworking for a few years. I now have a place where I can set up a decent shop. I sold my last table saw before moving here and now looking to purchase a new one as the centerpiece for my woodshop. I'm thinking a 3hp. Any suggestions and tips are welcomed.
Great to be part of the group

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Tom. My only suggestion for a TS is the obvious. People here are pretty adamant about the particular brand they own, but you should get reasonably good performance from any major brand saw you wish to buy. What was the model you sold before moving? Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist or other internet for sale sites, as you do see them pop up from time to time, but they usually go fast. Good luck.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Well said Dennis. Welcome to the forum, Tom and great question, I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback. As always, feel free to start discussions, post photos and share your projects with the group.

thefwis

New User
Tom
The saw I had was a contractor type Hitachi. there is no comparison to the cabinet saws out there now. I did see a North State saw at Laneave. It seems like a nice saw, though there is not much for reviews available.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tom welcome to NC and the NCWW family. If your intent is to become a serious woodworker get the best saw you can afford.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
as a fellow ex-Wisconser, welcome. I have an older model SawStop if you want to come get a feel of that brand. You don't say how much you want to spend... I live off 485 at Harrisburg Road exit, so not to far....

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Hi Tom,

I also have a Sawstop Professional 3 HP. I am in Monroe (actually on the Indian Trail side). You are welcome to come by and check it out. I also have LOTS of other tools you may want to look at for ideas. Or just contact me and we can get together. Please give me a call (I sent a PM with my phone number. Matt...

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wlcome to the site, Tom. You'll enjoy it here!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Tom, glad you have joined with us! I have a cabinet style Jet saw, but if I were able to buy a new saw, no question it would be a saw stop. There are a good many in use out there, and many of those were sold by Klingspors Woodworking Shops; they are a major supporter of our site. lso read the links about the Mid Winter Blahs Picnic, coming up 2 weeks from tomorrow, February 23 at
Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church
198 Pleasant Ridge Church Rd
Shelby NC
Easy to get to, and find, just follow I-85 south and exit on Route 74 west. It is just west of Shelby, exit to Pleasant Ridge Church Road south. Less than 1 mile on the right. We gather around 10, eat around 11:30, and later draw for some really great free door prizes. This is for the whole family.

JohnW

New User
John
Welcome to NCWW Tom. I'm in Matthews and worked in Indian Trail before retiring. As far as tablesaws go, you have tons to choose from but here is some info that, in my opinion, will get you a lifetime tool that performs very well.

You will want a saw that is capable of performing the type of cuts, and can be adjusted to do them accurately, to accomplish your woodworking goals. Since you are interested in furniture, that would be a minimum 3HP cabinet saw. Not a hybrid.

New or used, get a saw with a riving knife. This is much safer.

If you have the room, get a saw with extended rails. In the saw specifications, that would be approx 50" rip capacity. If room is an issue, there are work arounds for working with less rip capacity.

Saw blades. Buy ONLY good quality blades. They cost 2 to 5 times as much as a cheap blade, but will pay for themselves many many times over. A good blade may last a lifetime, makes vastly superior cuts, and is safer. For furniture you will need a rip blade, crosscut blade and dado set. You can get by at first with just one good combo blade.

Many of the less expensive full sized cabinet saws are very similar in fit finish and quality. Brand new they will cost $1,300-$2,000. Jet, Steel City, Rikon, Grizzly...the list of brands goes on. Used, expect to pay about half of the new cost.

Saw Stop is basically about the same in fit and function as the less expensive versions with the exception of their blade safety feature. That feature cost more and its up to you if its worth the money. IMHO it is. They were not available when I bought my saw, or I would own one now.

I have a Grizzly model 1023, no riving knife, no extended rails. Not a hypocrit, just didn't know what features I needed when I bought the saw.:D

I will not get into the very high end sliding saws. I can't afford one and am jealous of those who do;)

Lastly, review the proper use and safety of operating the saw. Adjusting the saw, setting up for each kind of cut, and observing safe use is a huge factor in end results.

If you would like to stop by some time to talk saws or woodworking or safety, just ask.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS