New McDowell County Woodworker Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTilson

New User
Brooks
Hello all.

My name is Brooks. Live in Old Fort, NC with my beautiful wife and two wonderful sons who are 2 and 5. I myself am 27 years old. I've always had a good bit of interest in woodworking and have dabbled in it off and on with marginal results at best. I get the feeling that this is a pursuit where there is no replacement for lots of practice and lots of experience.

I am finding myself particular interested in wood turning. I haven't purchased a lathe yet, unfortunately, but that is definitely on the to get soon list. Even have the wife's approval, if you can believe that!

I currently already have a large variety of hand tools, along with a bench mounted miter saw and a drill press. Unfortunately haven't managed to create any semblance of a shop yet, but I do have the (currently full of stuff) building outside that I am going to turn into workshop hopefully.

Anyway, that's a bit about me. I really hope to meet (maybe even in real life!) some cool wood workers and learn a bit here and there too!

-Brooks

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
For a min there I thought you were from McDowell County WVa close to where I was born in between a hill and a holler.

Welcome...

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Brooks. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I started woodworking a few years ago and while I have learned a lot, through experience and the great folks on this site, I know that I still have a lot to learn. Either way, you couldn't have found a better group of folks. Feel free to ask questions, share pictures of projects, your shop, etc. People here are very willing to help. Old Fort, if I remember correctly, is not too far from Asheville. There are definitely some very talented and nice folks in that area who are members here. Hopefully some of them will chime in shortly. :icon_thum

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Welcome Brooks! You'll find use to be a jovial bunch!

You should try to make it to the picnic next weekend!

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Hi brooks I live in Spruce Vegas just down the road from Wally world If you need anything just holler. Glad to see you've made it here. Lots of good info and folks to share. Picnic in religh soon.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
For a min there I thought you were from McDowell County WVa close to where I was born in between a hill and a holler.

Welcome...

Welcome to the site! Lots of experts here on most any subject. Feel free to ask, someone can help.

Mills: That explains it!! :rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Brooks!!!

Glad to have ya join and share in some of the sawdusting fun around here.

Post often and enjoy!

Wayne

BTilson

New User
Brooks
Hey, thanks for the excessively warm welcome! It's pretty cool that this place is only for local (well, within the state) wood workers.

As I mentioned earlier, I am extremely interested in wood turning. I'm also one of these people who tinker and modify and rig if I need to in order to accomplish something. So, being infected with the wood turning bug, I modified (rigged?) my drill press to hold a piece of wood.

After about two hours of figuring out the safest way to do this, I then realized that I had nothing remotely sufficient as far as tools go for cutting the turning wood. None, that is, except sand paper.

I made a little wooden shot glass! It's not finished yet, in the sense that the wood is still raw. I haven't sealed it or anything.

I'll post up a thread with some pictures in the wood turning section later tonight.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Welcome Brooks: You live only twenty miles from this country's largest woodturning club. The http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org/ meets at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Asheville. Our meeting was just yesterday. The next meeting is June 12, the demonstrator will be Hans Weisflog from Germany. Our meetings are free to the public! Come join us.

My advice is to NOT buy a lathe until you attend a meeting. Learn something about turning before you make expensive mistakes that will haunt you for a long time.:gar-Bi

Bill Turpin
Hendersonville, NC

BTilson

New User
Brooks
Wish I had known about your meeting that I missed by a day! I'll definitely be at the next one however! Never got around to posting up about my little shot glass I turned on my drill press. Hopefully will get around to it later this evening.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Welcome Brooks! Great to have you, sounds like you're well on your way down the slippery slope of a new WWing addiction. Congrats!

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group! We are from down the hill - Forest City. You will find lots of wisdom, and a sufficient dose of silliness to hopefully want to stay involved.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hello Brooks and welcome.
Nice to see the western members list keep building.
Hopefully this little corner of the net can help you on your quests in woodworking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS