New Jewelry Box

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I just finished up a commission for another jewelry box. This commission was from my wife for a wedding gift for a dear friend's daughter, and we'll be delivering this to a reception in Simi Valley, CA, in May.

The box is a grain wrap Claro Walnut with a walnut crotch veneered panel on the top. I inlaid some curly maple banding. The interior is lined with highly figured curly maple, and the bottom has pig-skin suede. The two trays and dividers are curly maple with walnut bottoms. I used brass hardware from Jewelry Box Hardware - Premium Box Hinges | Side Rail Hinges | Brass Hinges. The hinges and full mortise lock are really beautiful. My go-to finish is Odie's Dark oil, which has two coats. I then burnished everything with Rennianance Micro Crystalline wax.

Jewelry 052A.JPGJewelry 052B.JPGJewelry 052C.JPGJewelry 052D.JPGJewelry 052E.JPGJewelry 052F.JPG

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I just finished up a commission for another jewelry box. This commission was from my wife for a wedding gift for a dear friend's daughter, and we'll be delivering this to a reception in Simi Valley, CA, in May.

The box is a grain wrap Claro Walnut with a walnut crotch veneered panel on the top. I inlaid some curly maple banding. The interior is lined with highly figured curly maple, and the bottom has pig-skin suede. The two trays and dividers are curly maple with walnut bottoms. I used brass hardware from Jewelry Box Hardware - Premium Box Hinges | Side Rail Hinges | Brass Hinges. The hinges and full mortise lock are really beautiful. My go-to finish is Odie's Dark oil, which has two coats. I then burnished everything with Rennianance Micro Crystalline wax.

View attachment 217318View attachment 217319View attachment 217320View attachment 217321View attachment 217322View attachment 217323
Do you use plans for these or just make it up as you go. Beautiful workmanship

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Beautiful box and I’m sure she’ll be thrilled!

2 years ago we moved to Charlotte from the Simi area, and that time of year should be very nice. If you happen to like Mexican food, let me know and I can send you the name of the best Mexican in the area (and it’s a hole in the wall located in a strip mall).

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Do you use plans for these or just make it up as you go. Beautiful workmanship
Jim, no plans. With the first couple of boxes, the size of my available wood determined the box size. I had a couple of nicely figured Claro walnut billets that measured approximately 24-25"s x 4-5"s x 1 1/2". I resawed to get the max ( approximately 9x15x4x 5/8ths) this fitted the "Golden Rule" for proportions and was a nice size for jewelry/keepsake boxes with suitable sized trays. Plus, the 5/8ths sides were more than adequate for good side rail hinges and full mortise locks. After the first few boxes, I just got a rhythm, and the customers really liked the proportions and the tray/divider arrangements.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Beautiful box and I’m sure she’ll be thrilled!

2 years ago we moved to Charlotte from the Simi area, and that time of year should be very nice. If you happen to like Mexican food, let me know and I can send you the name of the best Mexican in the area (and it’s a hole in the wall located in a strip mall).
John, thanks for the offer, but we're flying in late Friday for a Saturday reception and back home on Sunday, so, unfortunately, no time to enjoy Simi.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Looks great but you are making me look real bad. I just made a simple cutting board for my nieces wedding gift. : (

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Jim, no plans. With the first couple of boxes, the size of my available wood determined the box size. I had a couple of nicely figured Claro walnut billets that measured approximately 24-25"s x 4-5"s x 1 1/2". I resawed to get the max ( approximately 9x15x4x 5/8ths) this fitted the "Golden Rule" for proportions and was a nice size for jewelry/keepsake boxes with suitable sized trays. Plus, the 5/8ths sides were more than adequate for good side rail hinges and full mortise locks. After the first few boxes, I just got a rhythm, and the customers really liked the proportions and the tray/divider arrangements.
This is my first attempt at a jewelry box. My daughter likes old stuff and I had the hand hewn lid from a 1796 log cabin I helped dismantle so using the golden rule as well proportioned down from there and used wood from a 1940s warehouse for the rest since it was more prepped than the rest of the cabin Right now. I hope to do better on the flocking next time but I like the leather better on yours.

Is the leather one piece and the dividers set on top or glued to the sides etc?

Attachments

• 20230309_094744.jpg
    20230309_094744.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230309_094813.jpg
    20230309_094813.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230309_094822.jpg
    20230309_094822.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
This is my first attempt at a jewelry box. My daughter likes old stuff and I had the hand hewn lid from a 1796 log cabin I helped dismantle so using the golden rule as well proportioned down from there and used wood from a 1940s warehouse for the rest since it was more prepped than the rest of the cabin Right now. I hope to do better on the flocking next time but I like the leather better on yours.

Is the leather one piece and the dividers set on top or glued to the sides etc?
Hey Jim, I like the lid; it’s a great look. The suede in my box is glued to some poster board and then laid in the bottom with the dividers on top with a pressure fit.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS