New hand plane for Xmas to myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cato

New User
Bob
So this is a slow learning process for me with hand planes and sharpening, but I knew I needed to get a few in addition to all these power tools.

GoFor was kind of my inspiration here as he recently got a bevel up handplane and seems to really like it, so I kind of took a plunge and ordered this one. Needed a Jack size plane anyway I did.

So not sure how these photos will come out, but looking forward to trying this plane out on some walnut I am using for a box project.
P1010028.jpg

and then the tool inside!!
P1010030.jpg

Had them send an exta blade as it seems that it is desirable to have one on hand with a slightly different bevel. Looking forward to this weekend and getting to play in the shop.

ChrisB

New User
Chris
I got one of these a couple of years ago and absolutely love it - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!:icon_thum

Chris

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Haven't ever worked with a Lie-Nielsen, but the reputation is stellar. That is one nice looking tool. Looking forward to your report on how well it performs.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Oh, man, that's what I call taking the plunge! :cool: :cool:

I don't have the LA jack but have a few LN offerings and they are very well made. I think you're gonna like it a lot.

Beware of GoFor the Enabler. :rotflm:

Chuck

Cato

New User
Bob
Thanks for the nice comments. I don't have the time to buy and restore the older planes as many people do.

Hard enough to find time to get in the shop as it is, and though I have some less expensive planes, I decided that a jack would be a good all around size plane and the LN 62 with an extra blade is supposed to be good for end grain as well as with the grain planing.

As nice a plane as it is it was a lot more affordable for a newbie to hand planes than their standard #5.

Bad thing is that since it is a high quality plane the rest is up to me to properly execute and keep the blade properly sharpened.

Oh well at least I can butcher wood in style!!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful tool Bob. Of course, you can't put a beauty like that just anywhere in the shop, so you'll have to build a nice rack or storage cabinet for it. And you never build a special place for just one, so you'll have to get others so the first one won't be lonely. Did someone mention slippery slope? :gar-La;

Bill

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Congratulations!!

If you enjoy yours half as much as I do mine, you are in for a treat. As you now are on the slope, it is good to know you have a true benchmark tool to compare any others you acquire in the future. Whether you make them, restore them, or buy new, you won't have to wonder how well it "should" perform.

Now to "hone" those honing skills.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go

Cato

New User
Bob
Congratulations!!

If you enjoy yours half as much as I do mine, you are in for a treat. As you now are on the slope, it is good to know you have a true benchmark tool to compare any others you acquire in the future. Whether you make them, restore them, or buy new, you won't have to wonder how well it "should" perform.

Now to "hone" those honing skills.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go
Hey Mark, Yes it will be a benchmark indeed and I can practice my honing on my other planes first.

I did not mention it but I also got the Veritas MKII honing guide and registration jig, and though I be grudged the price a bit, it looks to be a substantial upgrade to my previous cheapo roller bearing guide that tended to wobble a lot in the honing process.

And now on to those honing skills or lack therof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors