New guy checking on Table Saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahimlee54

New User
Rahimlee54
I have been researching table saws for a little bit but I haven't run it by anyone. I have read alot of good about the current Ridgid TS R4511, I went to the Big Box and checked it out, needs a new fence for sure. I also thought it was cheaper than it was so that opens up alot more doors at the price. I was looking for a few recommendations, Used is cool. I was actually checking out a couple for sell here. I want to get a contractors saw, just to make sure I stick with it. I'd hate to drop 1k+ on a cabinet saw and then watch it go to waste.

Any help is appreciated. :icon_scra

I cant wait to get saw dust all over my garage and get nagged about it :wsmile:.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Woodcraft has a sale on the Delta Unisaw, it is $400 off with a used trade-in. There are several folks here who would give you an old saw to trade in.

Just a thought...

And welcome to the group!

eyekode

New User
Salem
I think the new R4511 is a really good deal. I like the enclosed stand and the option to use a riving knife. Plus the mobile base is really top notch. The granite is both good and bad. I like that it is solid so you can easily clamp stuff to it (as opposed to cast iron that is a little harder to clamp to). Plus it won't rust. You could use the surface with sandpaper to hone chisels/planes (scary sharp method). On the negative side you cannot use magnetic featherboards/jigs and there is a risk of chipping.

I don't think you can come close from another vendor for the same price.

If you have 220 available I would also consider the G0690: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP-220V-Cabinet-Table-Saw-with-Riving-Knife/G0690

The other good alternative is waiting for a good deal on craigslist. But from experience I can tell you that you will waste lots of time this way and invariably as soon as you buy your saw exactly what you were looking for will come along for half of the price you paid for your compromise :).

Good luck!

Glennbear

Glenn
I have had a R4511 for a few months now and have been pleased with it. They did have a recall issue but the ones sold now have no problem and if you get a used one the fix is free. You might want to check out the Ridgid forum for info on this saw. I can see no reason IMHO to replace the factory fence. :wsmile: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/index.php

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
To me, going used is a good way to start to make sure you like it, and to get a feel of what you like and don' t like about a saw. A good contractor saw or cabinet saw for that matter can be had for underl $1K. I have seen several on the site here and on Craigslist for less than $1K. Whatever you get, it should have a decent T square style rip fence that locks accurately, and a decent miter gauge.

Jet, Grizzly, Delta all make good contractor saws. You might also consider some of the hybrids like the DeWalt, Steel City, and Craftsman Zip Code saws.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I would opt for the used route. If enough people know you are in the market, they will find you one. Sadly, there are some folks that buy nice woodworking equipment and then decide after 6 mos of non use it is taking up to much space in their garage. There are deals out there, you just have to be craigslist vigilant.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think the R4511 is a good saw, and hard to beat in terms of value. It should also be easy to resell near full value should you (a) decide woodworking isn't for you after all or (b) you like it so much you want to upgrade to a heavy-duty cabinet saw. There are lots of good newer saws under $1K, including the Craftsman 22104, Jet ProShop and Grizzly G0661. Then there is a slew of older contractor saws from Delta, Jet, DeWalt etc.

As others have mentioned, used is a good option. Do you have 220V available? That really makes a used cabinet saw attractive.

rahimlee54

New User
Rahimlee54
I don't have a 220 V in the garage, but the electrical panel is there so I could have someone put one in if I was feeling up to it. I thought about adding it myself but I feel a little uneasy going into the breaker box, although I read about it a little and it seems pretty much like adding a regular outlet.

Thanks
Jared

worm1595

New User
worm
Check you local Sears......The Craftsman model #22124 is being discontinued and I have seen (2) display units in my area for $739.99 and they are being reduced every 2 weeks until they are all gone.This is a $1100.00 cabinet saw w/ a biesmeyer fence !! The saw is made by Steel City Industrial and has gotten rave reviews by thier owners as well as a few woodworking magazines. This is a much better saw than the Ridged. I did the research and hands on comparison. I bought my #22124 a couple weeks ago and my dad just bought one today that was clearenced just becuase it was such a huge deal. My father is a 40+ year experienced cabinet maker/clock builder . He knows quality and he said it was a great looking saw. This is coming from a man who presently owns a Delta Unisaw & a Powermatic 66 . I drool everytime I go into his workshop that is filled with top shelf tools !!!!!!!!!

Do a little digging on the internet on the Craftsman #22124 and you will see how good of a saw it really is...........I LOVE mine :icon_cheers

BTW....There is no way I would buy a granite top saw for two reasons :

1. They sweat and lack aftermarket add-ons
2. Drop a hammer or heavy object near the edge by accident and.............CRACKED/CHIPPED TOP................RUINED ! (One of the new replacement model display units received a 12" crack in it's granite top. It happened when the employee dropped a hammer on it during assembly........OUUUUUUUCH !!......I was in the store shopping when it happened and that reinforced my belief in cast iron over granite')

Cast iron has been the standard for over how many years without fail ? .........Why fix something that isn't broke.....nuff said.

rahimlee54

New User
Rahimlee54
There are Craftsman #22124 all around me, I called and the guy told me how many were around. I am reading reviews on the thing. The only thing it is missing is a mobile base so I can put it off to the side during the week when I want to park in the garage. I'll have to read a few reviews and decide if this is worth the extra cash over going the used route.

Thanks for the info though.

Jared

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
BTW....There is no way I would buy a granite top saw for two reasons :

1. They sweat and lack aftermarket add-ons
2. Drop a hammer or heavy object near the edge by accident and.............CRACKED/CHIPPED TOP................RUINED ! (One of the new replacement model display units received a 12" crack in it's granite top. It happened when the employee dropped a hammer on it during assembly........OUUUUUUUCH !!......I was in the store shopping when it happened and that reinforced my belief in cast iron over granite')

I've seen a few saws with granite tops in action. Two major advantages that I can see:
- Granite doesn't rust. It's not too big of a problem here in my shop in Raleigh, in a climate-controlled basement, but if you're in a shed near the coast...let's say I'd be buying stock in Johnson and Johnson :rolf: with all the paste wax moving through the shop
- Granite can be machined flat and stay flat.

The only aftermarket item that I can think of that wouldn't work are those magnetic featherboards. I admit, those are handy, being able to position it anywhere is really nice. As for chipping/ cracking them, I guess if you dropped a hammer on it you could damage it. But how likely is that? Granite is extremely popular in the kitchen, where people drop glasses, plates, pots and pans, casserole dishes etc. all the time. Maybe not quite as heavy as a sledge hammer, but I don't swing one of those around in my shop every day either (unless I've _really_ messed up a project :embaresse :embaresse). They also make pretty good epoxies to fix minor chips and cracks.

Cast iron has been the standard for over how many years without fail ? .........Why fix something that isn't broke.....nuff said.
Once in a while new innovations are actually better than the original. Indoor plumbing comes to mind :) My saw has a cast iron top, and I'm very happy with it. Given a choice, I'm not sure which one I'd pick. But I sure would like to have the option!

My jointer fence has a slight twist in it that wasn't there originally. It's barely measurable, but it's there. A granite fence would have prevented that. Luckily, the top on my saw hasn't dipped, warped or twisted...(fingers crossed)

RayH

New User
Ray
FWIW: Woodcraft in Raleigh is listing Steel City granite-topped saws for about $200 LESS than the comparable cast iron ones. :eusa_thin That's as of Saturday.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
FWIW: Woodcraft in Raleigh is listing Steel City granite-topped saws for about $200 LESS than the comparable cast iron ones. :eusa_thin That's as of Saturday.

Woodcraft in Raleigh has a lot of the stationary tools "on sale" and discount. They have a Steel City shaper in there with a $200 instant gift card. Looks like a very nice shaper to me. I just think that stationary tools move slowly for them.

Back on the granite/cast iron. I recognize cast iron can warp, but why can't granite? Is there something special about it compared to cast iron that prohibits warping?

Glennbear

Glenn
I own a R4511 saw and one of the factors besides the price was the fact that the top is dead flat and not subject to warpage. Cast iron tops by the very way they are made are subject to internal stresses which may cause warpage over time. Liquid metal is poured into a mold and then the resulting casting is machined flat. During the initial pour uneven heating/cooling or variations in molten iron ingredients can cause the internal stresses I spoke of. Granite is a relatively stable material hence it's use as reference surfaces in laboratory settings such as blocks and plates sold by Starrett. :wsmile:

rahimlee54

New User
Rahimlee54
I just called another sears and the guy tried to sell me this saying it was the same with a few changes. I go online see the weight is 265 lbs the 22124 is 468 lbs, someone correct me if I am wrong but these probably aren't comparable?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I just called another sears and the guy tried to sell me this saying it was the same with a few changes. I go online see the weight is 265 lbs the 22124 is 468 lbs, someone correct me if I am wrong but these probably aren't comparable?

Nope!!!!:nah::no::nah::no:

IMHO ............Not in the sme league as the 22124 at all.

I think he may have looking for a quick sale.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS