New Fire Piston Project and some Mystery Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Hi All,

It has been a while since I have posted to this forum. A lot can happen in a few months. Anyway I have a new Jet 1014 Mini Lathe with a bed extension. I have turned a few things on it and I am getting better.

My Project here is a FIre Piston made from some wood my neighbor gave me. He said it was rosewood but it does not look like rosewood to me. Anyone want to take a stab at identifying this wood.

fire_piston1_sm.jpeg

For the Fire Piston itself, I used a brass tube kit made by Emil Banks (EBPrimitives) and purchased on Ebay. His kits are awesome and his Fire Pistons are the most reliable I have used.

Please let me know what you think. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

-Aaron

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks awesome Aaron,
Congrats on your purchase - welcome to the "I need to save that piece of wood since it would be perfect (for something) on the lathe!"

Not sure of the wood take a look around here: http://getpocket.com/a/read/41797107

It is possible it is a Brazilian rosewood... but I am just not sure...

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
nice fire piston Aaron. That could be in the rosewood family. I have some with pretty light coloring in it.
I've never used a kit for a fire piston, about how much do his run? I have used thin tubing but prefer not
to use metal in them but have seen a lot that do.
Usually the people that have been interested in them tend to prefer more paleo look and style. I tried antler
and wood but the antler did not holdup as well as I hoped.. I that an o ring on the plunger?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good to see you back here, Aaron. The turning looks great.

It's hard to tell what the wood is from just a photo, could be several things.

I tried to make a couple fire pistons, but couldn't get one to work. Never tried a kit. The brass sleeve should help.

What are you using for tender? Charcoal cloth?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Channeling Bill Cosby....

For those of you familiar with Bill Cosby's memorable routine on Noah and the ark, I have to ask: "Riiiight (pause). So what's a what's a fire piston?"
In fact don't you think that monologue should be played before (or after) any screening of the current Hollywood product 'Noah'?

But I digress.

My point is, admitting my ignorance: What's a fire piston?

Henry

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Re: Channeling Bill Cosby....

When you turned the wood, did it have a fragrance? Most of the rosewood family smell sort of rose-like. I've turned kingwood, rosewood, tulipwood and cocobolo and they all have a sweet smell.

Roy G

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron

What's a fire piston?

Henry

Hi Henry,

A Fire Piston is a very primitive fire starting tool that employs compressed air to ignite tender (like charcloth). I know it sounds impossible but it works and is a very cool thing to demonstrate. Here is the writeup I put on my facebook page:

"Although the origins of Fire Pistons are a bit fuzzy, It is known that they have been in use for centuries in South East Asia and the Pacific Islands. Places where blow guns were traditionally used.

The Fire Piston was patented in the early 1800's in Europe and was the basis of the Diesel engine invention. Now two centuries later, we are again enjoying their comeback.

Used as an alternative fire starting method, these Fire Pistons have the advantage over matches, as long as you have tender (and a properly prepared fire bundle), you can use it to start fires.

Some possible tender materials are charcloth and charred cattail. Charcloth is the most common. You can make you own charcloth with 100% cotton fabric strips (blue jeans make great char material) and a tin with a small hole in it. Place the tin with the fabric strips inside, in a bed of coals and wait till it stops smoking and your charcloth is ready to use."

CapnA said:
Is that an o ring on the plunger?

Andy - No, it's not an O-Ring exactly but I'll call it that, it is piece of rubber that is flat and round that has the center cut out like a small thick rubber wassher. It is like a squared of doughnut. Emil Banks makes them and gives you a boat load when you buy his kit. His ebay id is ebprimitives-usa. I just checked and he currently does not have anything in his store for sale. He is retired and makes these in small batches, so keep and eye on his store he will have some more soon I am sure. My kit cost me $18 plus shipping but included the brass tube, plunger, lifetime supply of O-Rings, lube, Black Bear tender (this stuff is amazing), and instructions.

Mike - I use his black bear tender, but I am sure it would work fine with charcloth, but I have not tested that.

Roy - I do not remember any particular smell, bit I made this a couple of weeks ago and it my have. I know the cocobolo I have used does smell great though, kinda like incense especially when I put the burn lines in it with wire.

-Aaron

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member

Ok, I still don't get it. Aaron, are you coming to the picnic? Will you bring it and demonstrate please? Sounds really cool, but, WHAT???

MagGeorge

New User
George

Cool! It looks great, the wood is gorgeous with those pretty grains that really pop with your great finish. Great job!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

Think bicycle pump with no outlet. (Diesel engines fire by compression.) The piston is quickly and somewhat forcefully driven down The air has no where to go so it is compressed creating intense heat. In the end of the piston is a small concave depression that holds a small mount of char cloth or whatever tinder you prefer, hopefully it glows - holding an ember if you will. You use this ember to ignite your other tinder and have a fire.
The piston has to fit a very close tolerance but not so snugly the piston can't glide in. This is where a lot of people use the metal tubing. The first one I ever saw was ancient old - amazing how such things were done with little in the way of anything we would consider tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors