New Droplet shaped Bottle Stoppers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Just wanted to post some pics and my thoughts on a new stopper kit I started using...

I only use stainless steel bottle stopper kits because I sell them and don't mind spending the extra $$$ on that material (also because it is supererior to the plated types). I was getting all my kits from Arizona Silhouette (AZ) and very happy, but I thought I'd try the droplet shaped kits from Craft Supply (CS).

Here are pics of some new ones all done:

Spalted Maple

Redwood Burl

Bronze Box Elder Burl

A couple of pros and cons for these:

Pros:
- Lower profile than the AZ deluxe kits, so the stopper sits closer to the bottle's rim with less space between the wood and the bottle.
- Silicon rubber collar (AZ also uses Silicon)
- Same threading as the AZ kits (no need for another mandrel or drill bit or tap)

Cons:
- There is a tiny lip around the top so you cannot get the wood perfectly flush against the metal of the stopper (not very noticable so not a big deal really)
- In order to get the threads fully seated in the wood, the hole needs to be reamed a little at the opening (I used a handheld countersink for this, a few turns is all that's needed, but it adds an extra step).
- The metal part of the stopper is all one piece, the threads are not removable. The AZ kits have a threaded piece that can be unscrewed from the stopper. This way you can glue it into the wood but it can still be unscrewed from the stopper itself so the stopper can be cleaned separately from the wood top.

Overall, these kits are great for the price. There is a little bit to give up where functionality is concerned but the shape is more pleasing than the straight cone design of the others. It looks like AZ now offers a few options as well so I may try those in the future. I'll report back here if I do!

Thanks for looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS