Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: New commision started.(updated 11/13)

That's an aggressive schedule.

I am going to try to offer a balance for your over-achieving ways, a yin for your yang, the grasshopper versus your ant. My plan is to hang out in the shop tonight listening to the radio while enjoying a VERY cold beverage. :eusa_danc

I may flatten the norton's and sharpen a few chisels but that's about as far as I'll go. :gar-La;

I look forward to your progress pics.

Chuck

T

toolferone

Next update here. The first thing I did was finish putting the drum sander together. My first adjustment got to a little under 1/64" difference across a 24" board. I think I will leave it at that for right now. I also got the variable speed hooked up and working.
grizzly%20ds%20vs%20done.jpg

I routed out the leg mortises with a set up, doing them all at once.
feet%20mortise%201.jpg

Here are the leg pairs glued up.
feet%20glued%201.jpg

Here are the vertical legs cut to size and I have started the cut the tenons.
stretchers%201.jpg

You can get some other pics and more info on the my webpage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Looking good Tom. Looks like you're well on schedule here!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster

You go Tom. You are going to be a busy guy. Not to mention that you work Mon- Fri.
Can't wait to see the Table.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Re: New commision started.(updated [again] 11/14)

GREAT progress, Tom.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

As some have said, just be careful and keep all your "digits" in place. Looks like you are going to be right on time line. Good luck.

:wsmile:

T

toolferone

GREAT progress, Tom.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

As some have said, just be careful and keep all your "digits" in place. Looks like you are going to be right on time line. Good luck.

:wsmile:

I plan on keeping all of my digits full length and intact. I am not going fast, I am just staying busy, but yess we should always be careful. The only problem I see is I am setting a precedence on my abilty to get things done on-time :eek:!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

You can always offset that by charging "extra" for "rush" jobs!

T

toolferone

I only had a couple of hours in the shop tonight.
First I put the dust collection fittings on the drum sander, but have not tried it yet. The lid can fit either way so I can change the direction of the hose end if I need to.
grizzly%20ds%20dust%20pickup.jpg

I cut out the shape on the upper and lower legs and cut the tenons on the vertical pieces. They are just dry fit now. I need to cut the mortices in the verticals to receive the long stretcher that goes between the leg sets
table%20legs%202.jpg

table%20legs%204.jpg

Tonight went very smoothly. I cut the wide sides of the tenons with my tenon jig on the table saw, and cut the small side on the bandsaw. I rough cut the angle on the legs with the bandsaw and sanded to the line with the edge sander.

Thanks for your continued interest in my project. It is good that I feel the need to post my progress each night. It is helping me stay on target.

I really love woodworking :icon_chee!!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

I plan on keeping all of my digits full length and intact. I am not going fast, I am just staying busy, but yess we should always be careful. The only problem I see is I am setting a precedence on my abilty to get things done on-time :eek:!

coming along nicely tom!:thumbs_up just staying busy is how I get stuff done quickly. if you follow a path that allows you to do several things at a time it just goes so much faster.I try to get glue-ups going early.:widea: this allows me to cut out other things or sand stuff whi;le the glue sets.:icon_thum [eliminates the need for brads!]:gar-La;

T

toolferone

I try to get glue-ups going early.:widea: this allows me to cut out other things or sand stuff whi;le the glue sets.:icon_thum [eliminates the need for brads!]:gar-La;

I always try to do my glue ups early. As with this project I am picking the longest, straightest, and nicest boards for the top, so I pick them out and use them first.

The only place I have used brads on this is the feet glue up (for alignment), but they got cut away when I cut the angles out, but thanks Norm :rotflm:!

I am posting the progress pictures on my web page, and the customer is able to watch the progress. She has emailed me and says she really loves being able to watch.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Re: New commision.(updated 11/15)

Looking GREAT Tom. I'll bet you are getting more opportunities to do that now, than with your former employer... I my position as a retail manager, I find that I am leaving the house between 7 or 8 every morning, and getting home at about 10:00 each night, SIX days a week.

woodguy1975

New User
John

Dude, you are making awesome progress!!! Keep it up. It is going to be a fine looking table for sure.

What are you going for the black stain? I always had good luck with transtint black dye mixed about 3x normal strength. I have a floating shelf with a hidden drawer that I tinted back with black molding. It looks great. A nice top to it all is using the Black Briwax when you wax it. :)

Good Luck

John

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

Wow Tom, you're making the rest of us look lazy!

It's neat watching this project develop so quickly. Please keep us posted.

T

toolferone

What are you going for the black stain? :)
Good Luck
John

John, I am matching the chairs and the company who finished them used General finishes black oil based stain, so I will use the stuff.

T

toolferone

Not as nuch to show tonight. I was very tired and my left leg was acting up.

Anyway, I did a mock up to check the table height with the chair and to check the stretcher placement (not the full size stretcher).
mock%20up%201.jpg

Here I machined the stretcher and made the cheek cuts on the ends for the tenons. The stretcher is 1.5" wide x 3.5" tall x 59.5" long. The length might change after I cut and fit the tenons. I am not sure how far I want them sticking out yet.
stretcher%201.jpg

I used my hollow chisel mortiser to cut the mortises in the vertical leg pieces for the stretcher. I will clean them with a nice sharp chisel.

stretcher%20mortice%201.jpg

That's it for tonight, thanks for watching.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Smart thinking, matching the table with the chair. Nothing worse than finding out after the table is completed that you can't sit at it comfortably. Thanks for taking the pics and posting progress - I know it helps you stay on target, but reporting AND meeting a deadline, that's not easy!

T

toolferone

I take my camera with me to the shop and take a few pics. When I come in for the night I need to relax a little befroe I go to sleep, so it is the perfect time to up load the pics to my web page, and then post them over here.

I am hoping to sand the 2 table top pieces tonight and get them glued together, then back to fitting the stretcher.

R

rickc

Re: New commision.(updated 11/16)

Tom you are making fantastic progress. It all looks really good. Glad you are able to keep your interest going in the project and have the time to go out each night. Keep up the good work!

See you tomorrow night!

T

toolferone

Well, this evening did not go as smoothly as planned. I had a friend come over to give me a hand running the table top panels through the Grizzly drum sander. After 1 1/2 hours worth of problems the v/s motor I had installled turned out to be the problem and it burn't up just to prove it. We changed it back to the original motor and BAM, no more problems. We finished getting them sanded but it was to late to glue them up.

top%20sanded%201.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS