Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

Start the stop watches. You all have never seen me move this fast. I have until Thanksgiving to get a Shaker trestle table and bench seat with a back done!! This is my largest commission yet. The table is 30" x 72" An odd size to fit a particular spot. The whole project will be stained BLACK. I am using soft maple for the whole thing.

Here is a picture of the chair I am modeling the bench after.
chair%20001.jpg

Here is the start of the glue up on the top.
top%20glue%20up1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Re: New commision started.

That's a pretty aggressive schedule!

Looks like a cool project. I wouldn't be real excited about the black stain but if that's what the client wants . . .
but then it might make finishing a but easier - assuming you're not doing a black piano finish:eusa_clap

pete

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan

Holy cow Tom! That aint much time. Good luck and congrats on a big commision! Always good to get paid for doing what you love. Keep us posted man!

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Tom congratulations on the commission :icon_thum- Looks like you are well on your way - good luck

R

rickc

Good luck on that, Tom. Guess we'll know where to find you in the evenings!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Looks like a great start. I have seen your work and skills. I have little doubt you won't be successful. Besides I know where you can find some helping hands if you need them. :wink_smil

T

toolferone

Good luck on that, Tom. Guess we'll know where to find you in the evenings!

Rick, my wife told me she is a single Mom until Thanksgiving. Yup, that's were I be :eek:.

R

rickc

Well, of all the mistresses to choose, I guess that one would be the safest! With your shop just outside the backdoor, she and the kids can come "visit" anytime!

What with that going on, would it be better for me to drop by your place next Tuesday, say around 5:45 to pick up the lift or are you still going to appear at TWA?

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart

Tom, don't get in a hurry and be careful. Keep your thumb away from the blade.

skeeter

New User
Charles

Sounds like a very nice project, but a very demanding schedule. Good luck.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member

I have a picture in my head. Standing outside Tom's shop, with sounds of saws, hammers, drills, lights flashing, and sawdust flying out from under the cracks in the doors. Sorta like a whirlwind going on inside the shop.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

So Tom...how far did ya get tonight?

Best of luck getting it done in two weeks!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

You gonna be one busy woodworker. See if Dave will rent the Elves to you!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Less than two weeks and a finish to be applied and dried too!!!!:elvis::elvis:

Hope you don't have too many runs for supplies! With all of your talent, I betcha you will start the finish about this time next week!

Looking forward to seeing your progress pictures (assuming you'll have time and the dust cloud will clear enough for some good pictures)! :wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

T

toolferone

So Tom...how far did ya get tonight?

Here is tonights progress; cut out the rough blanks for the bench front and back legs. That is the template on the right of each pic, I will use it with a pattern bit to route out each leg.
back%20legs%201.jpg
front%20legs%201.jpg

Machined and glued up the bench seat seat.
seat%201.jpg

And machined the blanks that will make up the trestle top and bottom. I am doing each one as halves I will cut a dado that will be come the mortice when I glue the pairs together.
table%20legs%201.jpg

I also worked on the drum sander, trying to get it adjusted so I can use it on the table and seat pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outa Square

New User
Al
Re: New commision started.(updated 11/13)

if you didn't stop and take pictures you would be done already:gar-La;

but i am glad you did as it is a good learning experience for a novice, like my self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors