New bench vise- Wow!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
"New" is a funny word for this. Looks like the leg vice on the Roubo style benches that The Schwartz has made so popular ... except with some COOL enhancements!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pick up some acme thread rod and nuts from Wholesale Tool & make your own. The ball bearing & handwheel shouldn't be hard to find on Ebay either. I like Shamrock's knee vise just as well.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
That's waaayyy smoother than mine-still gotta bend down to put the pin in on the bottom though. This guy can build some benches though-gets me thinking about the next one.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Yeah, I saw that pin deal. Nowwwww, being the tinkerer that I am and someone who finds it less and less fun to bend over and reach down low, I would replace that pin with a spring loaded catch and a pedal to retrack it- a real mix of old and new. :nah::nah: With such a long moment arm there is not much force on that pin. But that thing really spins nicely. I am thinking of maybe incorporating rollersvin my LV end vise or my WC quick release front vise.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Alan, would not a sawtooth ratchet on the bottom of the jaw withstand the force as well? You'd only have to pick up the vise jaw enough to disengage the teeth and reset them in another series of teeth. It would be held in place by the weight of the jaw. No stooping.

bwat

New User
Bill
Very cool! :eusa_clap Those extending wheel knobs/handles look like leg bruises waiting to happen unless you have a large shop.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan, would not a sawtooth ratchet on the bottom of the jaw withstand the force as well? You'd only have to pick up the vise jaw enough to disengage the teeth and reset them in another series of teeth. It would be held in place by the weight of the jaw. No stooping.

That would work VERY WELL!

Put the ratchet and spring loaded follower or two opposing ratchet strips like INCRA uses on some of their stuff on the bottom. The jaw (chop) could still slide out as the follower clicks from notch to notch. You would then need to step on a release while you set the jaws, and release it when applying clamping force. Properly made, I believe you could achieve an adjustment as fine as they get from the pin and current three rows of staggered holes.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Aan, I know you can't stand LO TECH and I can see your face when you look at this pic! :rotflm:

Here's my 40 y/o $5.00 (if that much!) knee vise. Pipe clamp, scrap 4X4 and aluminum flat stock. Ratchet is toe operated. Both jaws float to be self-aligning.

DSC04076.JPG

DSC04078.JPG

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Joe, Alan, I guess great minds really DO think alike. Trouble is my mind is thinking alike with someone in the 19th century.:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS