new bed part 2. finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
just need a new mattress for the trundle and some pulls [need input from SWMBO] :gar-Bi

emalybed3.JPG

emalybed2.JPG

emalybed1.JPG

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, if I had all those eyes watching me when I slept, I'd be creeped out. :gar-La;

But its a beautiful bed. :icon_thum

How is the top drawer face attached? I'd be worried over time it might loosen since it looks to me like a 90 degree join between two boards.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Ok, if I had all those eyes watching me when I slept, I'd be creeped out. :gar-La;

But its a beautiful bed. :icon_thum

How is the top drawer face attached? I'd be worried over time it might loosen since it looks to me like a 90 degree join between two boards.

the face frame is attached to the base with glue and screws and the false drawer fronts are attached to dead men mounted into the face frame with pocket screws. the pocket screws are on the drawer front side so they are hidden by it. once the mattress goes in all of the blocking and screws are not seen. hopefully the mattress we get will be flush to the top of the rail.:gar-Bi [fingers crossed]

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Another outstanding project Fred :eusa_clap. I really like the pullout trundle/storage drawer design with the false drawer fronts.
Mike

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
awesome Fred, I like everything about it :thumbs_up So did you sister the floor joists yet :gar-La;

:no: nah... I changed the design a little.:gar-Bi instead of tractor tires I decided to use roller blade wheels!:rotflm: that lightened it up be a couple pounds.......:wwink:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great looking bed Fred. I'm particularly interested in the roller system for the trundle. Do you have any pics of that part, or could you talk a little about how you did that? I need to build one in a couple of years for my grandson.

Bill

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Great looking bed Fred. I'm particularly interested in the roller system for the trundle. Do you have any pics of that part, or could you talk a little about how you did that? I need to build one in a couple of years for my grandson.

Bill

I used 4 wheels from a pair of yardsale roller blades. I layed out holes in the corners and drilled 1/4" holes for bolts. I used a couple of washers to make sure the wheels didnt rub the frame. I spaced them so I have 5/8" clearance off the floor. I covered the bolt heads [carriage bolts] with the side boards. The bolts are behind the bottom board of the face frame so I didnt have to cut them off. It roles really easy so the frame must be square.:gar-Bi If the bed was going to be used for older kids I would have used 6 wheels but I have layed on it and it still roles easy. Those wheels are really quite nice with good bearings in them.:icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great work, Fred!!

I can see that getting inside that trundle during a bad storm would definitely be a safe place.:wsmile:

It will be enjoyed for generations, for sure!:icon_thum

Wayne

sawduster

New User
Robert
wow , wow and WOW !! :notworthy: Dood I have got to come over and see that in person !
Great work ! :icon_thum

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Great bed, and a great job building it! When I built one for my grandson I used roller bearing lawn mower wheels for the drawers. That really makes it easier for them to pull out, and it didn't mar the floor.
Again, great job
Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS