Negative experience with Gennett Lumber in Asheville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I needed to pick up some additional lumber recently for a project that I'm doing and only needed about 8 bd ft of wood. I've always found Gennett's pricing to be far from competitive but for the small amount it didn't make sense to go to Greenville, SC. I got there, selected the piece I needed and had them write up the ticket. The price was at least $.50 a board foot high but I expected that. When I went to pay I noticed that the ticket was written for 12 board feet and the piece of stock was exactly 9 board feet. I raised the question and was given a very condesending lecture on how to calculate board feet (really, is that how it works, I've never done this before). I slapped a tape on the piece and imagine that, my mental math was correct. I was told I'd have to take it up with the man in the warehouse as he does this all the time and really knows what he's doing :roll: .

Out to the warehouse I go and nicely tell him that I'm coming up with 9 board feet and he wrote it up as 12. He tells me that boards shrink in the kiln and you have to factor that into the equation. I let him know that other places I deal with account for that in their board foot pricing, not by adding lumber. I've certainly had places round up to the next board foot but not add 33% more lumber. He revised the ticket to 10 board feet and informed me that I really hadn't saved that much with the change. :evil: Initially I had thought this was simply an error but his response clearly demonstrated that the action was intentional. Their lousy prices, deceptive business practices and their overall poor attitude has guaranteed no further purchases.

There, now I feel better :lol:

Last edited:

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
And I thought Charlotte Hardwoods prices were high. This gives a new meaning to high prices like that. Thats pretty ridiculous. I guess people who don't know the difference though keep buying from them.

R

rickc

JohnsonMBrandon said:
And I thought Charlotte Hardwoods prices were high. This gives a new meaning to high prices like that. Thats pretty ridiculous. I guess people who don't know the difference though keep buying from them.
It might be beneficial to write a "snail mail" letter to the owner of the business, and include a copy of this email. While it is possible the owner is aware, it might also be a problem related to a couple of employees with attitudes. Knowing his business is about to get very negative publicity with the very audience being targeted MIGHT get some positive action.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Rick,

That's a great suggestion and I thought about that after it happened. The thing that disappoints me most is that I gave them every opportunity to deal with this nicely. I also let them know while I was there that I would really like to give them more of my business but they have never been competitive. I explained that I buy several thousand dollars of wood a year and offered to set up an account. They said it wouldn't make a difference and acted like they could care less. They seem to get people to pay their prices because they don't have much local competition. Just one example - shop grade Birch plywood 3/4" - $44 per sheet. I can buy it day in and day out at Greenville Spartantburg Hardwood for $30. I just don't think it's worth any more of my time because it seems to be their overall mode of operation and not just a warehouse guy.

rcorne01 said:
It might be beneficial to write a "snail mail" letter to the owner of the business, and include a copy of this email. While it is possible the owner is aware, it might also be a problem related to a couple of employees with attitudes. Knowing his business is about to get very negative publicity with the very audience being targeted MIGHT get some positive action.

R

rickc

If it is a family owned business you probably should not waste any more time. However, if the owner is unaware of the behavior and attitudes of his employees, it might not help the prices too much, but at least he would become aware that he is losing business. Of course acting upon it is entirely different! :-?

However, I think you have given anyone thinking about going there reason to re-evaluate. As wonderful as this hobby is, it can be expensive at times! Personally, if I am being separated from my money, I would agree with you, the least they could do is show me respect and courtesy. Thanks for letting us know.

helmswatch

New User
Duke
This is a perfect example of why newbies like myself agonize over decisions on tool and material selection. Irene and I sometimes feel hamstrung into indecisiveness which leads to long periods of non-productivity. We thank the "great wood gods" that we have this venue to ask questions, to receive guidance, and to have access to valuable information. Thank you Steve and thank you all for being here.

Duke & Irene

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I only go to Gennett as an ABSOULTE last resort. I"ve always found their prices to be exhorbitantly high and their attitudes crappy. I've never underrstood how people could do much business with them. I refuse to pay those kind of prices plus tolerate attitudes.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Thanks Randy, I thought maybe they had me pegged as a Damn Yankee and were just treating me special; bless my heart. :lol:

Ozzie-x said:
I only go to Gennett as an ABSOULTE last resort. I"ve always found their prices to be exhorbitantly high and their attitudes crappy. I've never underrstood how people could do much business with them. I refuse to pay those kind of prices plus tolerate attitudes.

M

McRabbet

Steve -- I agree that a letter is a good idea -- if nothing happens, then so be it, but if they change their policy to be more open with such things, then those of us in the area that use them may benefit. I've only bought from them once and, although I didn't go back a re-measure the birch I bought, I think I got a fair number of BF and I didn't run out for the project I was building. Ironically, when I stopped at G-S Hardwood Center, they quoted me $3.80/BF for Soft Maple, which was $1.00/BF higher than Tidewater and $1.20/BF higher than Gennett. Wall is the lowest at $2.40. (My suspicion is that G-S HC gave me a hard maple price). If this commission I'm working on comes through, I'll drive to Mayodan to save the nearly $100 difference and will get exact board footage.

Rob

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
A letter is a good place to start. But keep it up, if they don't reply, keep writing them. Then call out to all of us and have a letter writing campaign. They will listen...eventually.

Also, this brings up a good question. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a class to educate us on how to calculate board feet and how to buy wood? I would love a hands on class regarding this. Education can really help in these situations.

R

rickc

Did a lookup on Gennett Lumber in Asheville. Might want to check it out to see if this is the right one. If so, has a couple interesting links. Like a "Contact Us" link. Also has a link to an "Our Staff" page - recognize anyone here? Before bombarding this business with emails let's make sure -

Steve is this the right one????

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sharp Blade said:
Also, this brings up a good question. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a class to educate us on how to calculate board feet and how to buy wood? I would love a hands on class regarding this. Education can really help in these situations.

I attempted to split off the answers to Sharp Blade's questions into it's own thread...now in General Woodworking under "Questions about how to buy wood". I am sure that I didn't do it the right way but it worked:slap:

Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
That's the place although none of the people pictured were involved today.

rcorne01 said:
Did a lookup on Gennett Lumber in Asheville. Might want to check it out to see if this is the right one. If so, has a couple interesting links. Like a "Contact Us" link. Also has a link to an "Our Staff" page - recognize anyone here? Before bombarding this business with emails let's make sure -

Steve is this the right one????

Mountaincraft

New User
William
Yeah, that has summed up Gennett for me, too. They do have the stuff, though. I bought a 14 bdft 8/4 piece of white oak (really 12.7), but got good service. I am always polite, but I work hard to give off the "going postal" ferromone. Sometimes I get so good, only my dog knows I'm full of it.:eusa_liar

Since I rarely buy more than 30 bdft of decent kiln dried hardwood at a time, Gennett is the most cost effective for me and they know it.

For me, the simplest way to figure bdft is to find cubic feet and multiply by 12, or find cubic inches and devide by 144. Rough cut should be within 5% of bdft charged in small quantities.

A wonder trick at Gennett is to find the short guy and ask him to show you the coolest board and help stack the wood the way he wants it.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What is shop grade birch plywood? I could use some of that as the cabinet grade at the BORG is about $45 a sheet. Anyone know where I can get it in Wake County for the $30 a sheet Steve mentions?

Oops. That is the pits and that is the type of place that will not be in business for too long. I remember Bechen Bros in Raleigh and they got the same way. They weren't around for too much longer after that.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
http://www.hardwoodgroup.com/home.php is the group that owns Greenville Spartanburg Hardwood. They also have locations in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh. Call first and let them know that you want the "import" 3/4 Birch ply and that you have bought it in the past for around $29-30. COnfirm the current price and get the person's name so that you can refer to them when you pick it up. They definitely have a range of prices they can charge and you tend to be at their mercy as a walk in.

Travis Porter said:
What is shop grade birch plywood? I could use some of that as the cabinet grade at the BORG is about $45 a sheet. Anyone know where I can get it in Wake County for the $30 a sheet Steve mentions?

Oops. That is the pits and that is the type of place that will not be in business for too long. I remember Bechen Bros in Raleigh and they got the same way. They weren't around for too much longer after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS