Need to Build DeWalt 735 Planer Stand with in/outfeed support - Anyone aleready build one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Yes, I know I can build one to incorporate the feed tables into the bench. But, I've found over time that I don't always have the best idea or approach and realize that I can benefit from others if I have the opportunity to listen. Your suggestion about the relative levels of the feed tables and the machine table makes sense as supporting the end of a long board (I do it in and out when I can) a a similar effect.

When I built the recess(s) for my RAS and "Chop Saw" into my bench I added a mechanism to the RAS that allowed raising or lowering the saw table relative to the bench top - things tend to shift over time and with changes in humidity.

Thank you for the feedback.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
...problem is some people think the world owes them. and ... blackmail a company into sending him a free product. lol

"lol?" "Blackmail?"

(definition of) "the action, treated as a criminal offense, of demanding money from a person in return for not revealing compromising or injurious information about that person.

I don't 'think the world owes' me anything. DeWalt is not 'the world,' but a cooperate entity trading in large part upon its name and reputation. As I understand it, the same corporate entity owes Black and Decker and may even own some "Chicago Tools' off-brand entity to market their DeWalt QC rejects.

It is hardly criminal to take a corporation to court under "Article 2, Section 315 of the Uniform Commercial Code." Indeed, enforcing contracts is part and parcel of our legal system.

As I said, I might not prevail, but making my case is hardly Blackmail.

And, while I'm sure DeWalt appreciates the defense(s) offered here so far, none have any bearing upon the legal question at issue.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
As I recall, I can get the tables from LOWES for $43.22 including tax. They have to order them and ship to store. The three extra blades were $49.50 before tax - those they have in stock.

Tool King wants $66.42 or the extension tables.

But thank you for the link

BWSmith

New User
BW
I'm with merrill77 as well.These planers are really best suited as portables.....they are required "tooling" when doing onsite custom work.As such,their marketing is aimed for this.The more "stuff" you hang on one the less it serves this function.

But to answer the OP....eccentric mounting "ends" on some nice rollers(3 on infeed,3 outfeed),might be a workable approach.The logic here being;vs an adjustable rail system......each roller can be "dialed in" independently from one another.It does sort of fly in the face on K.I.S.S principals but,if that was the prime consideration.....just buy the factory offerings.IOW's....if I was going to take the time to engineer something,it might as well do a better job than the factory option,just sayin.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
HEY i HAVE THE TABLES ON MINE AND THEY WORK GREAT....BUT WHAT DO i KNOW...

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Point of information, please. Did you attempt to use the planer without the feed tables? I would be interested in hearing the results you experienced before and after installing the feed tables.

No, I didn't. Even after I built the simple 2x6 stand and installed the in/out tables, I didn't even turn it on. It was about a week later that I needed to plane some stock. When it was over, I only had one peice with snipe, but it was my fault. I was happy. Since then, I've planed over 20-30 boards with no snipe. My only issue is keeping the 4" DC hose out of the way from stock passing under it. What do you guys do to hold the hose up? I was thinking of buying a 90 degree elbow of 4" drain or similar to route it perpendicular to stock travel. But if/when I do, how will it keep the elbow, with the added weight of the hose, from spinning downward and interfering with stock travel?

Anyway, like you Charles, for as much as the planner costs, you'd think they'd throw in the tables. But like I said earlier, I turned around and haven't looked back!

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I've had the Dewalt 735 planner now for over five years. It does a great job planning and it's so smooth I hardly need to sand. I purchased the indeed and out feed tables but I've come up with a better way way use the planner. I purchase a 12"x 8' 0" shelf board from lowe's and mounted as shown in the attached picture. This has worked great, it supports the board and was not that expensive. Try it.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/#

Lecil Alexander

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I'm with you on this one chris, problem is some people think the world owes them.

Yes, well, apparently DeWalt agreed with me! As, In response to my complaint, the tables arrived today.

4/28/2014 3:27:22 PM

DEWALT Industrial Tool Co.
701 E. Joppa Road
Baltimore, MD 21286

In re: 735 Planer

Sir/Madam:

I recently sold my HD Ridgid 13” Planer and bought the DeWalt 735 (at Lowes) thinking I was upgrading.

When I removed it from the box, I could not find the in and out feed tables; I have since learned that DeWalt is unique in shipping a six hundred dollar planer without these essential parts (in order to avoid snipe).

This is ridiculous! You include them with the less-expensive models, but not with the ‘top of the line’ machine!

Home Depot offers theirs for $369 with all the necessary parts included, SEARS planers all come with the feed tables.

Please send me a set of these parts...

Attachments

• GLOAT.bmp
    223.9 KB · Views: 138

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I've had the Dewalt 735 planner now for over five years. It does a great job planning and it's so smooth I hardly need to sand. I purchased the indeed and out feed tables but I've come up with a better way way use the planner. I purchase a 12"x 8' 0" shelf board from lowe's and mounted as shown in the attached picture. This has worked great, it supports the board and was not that expensive. Try it.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/#

Lecil Alexander

Lecil, was that link intended to take one to an image of your solution? It did not work for me. Charles

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Congratulations. I too have the same planer. I love the infeed and outfeed tables. One caution with it though, they are not "Heavy Duty" so to speak. Mine have some slight bending in the middle near the edge that is closest to the planer. I suspect it is front loading long heavy boards in it. What I have found that prevents the snipe is simply supporting the long boards by hand as they come in and out. However, you cannot eliminate snipe in wide boards that have any amount of cup in them. The pressure to flatten out the cup during planing doubles when the board hits the second roller and goes in half when the board comes out of the second roller. I have had mine 6 years and it performs great. One suggestion, buy the Wixley Digital Gage. Definitely worth it. As for planing without extension tables, I get no snipe on pieces without cup or warp that are not too heavy and too long. I would say anything under 4ft and 4/4 Hard Maple less that 6" to 8" wide I get none. I hope that gives you an idea of board weight threshold and snipe. I have experienced significant snipe when sending through a cupped board. And once again, I know you will be happy with it. They are great machines.

Yes, well, apparently DeWalt agreed with me! As, In response to my complaint, the tables arrived today.

4/28/2014 3:27:22 PM

DEWALT Industrial Tool Co.
701 E. Joppa Road
Baltimore, MD 21286

In re: 735 Planer

Sir/Madam:

I recently sold my HD Ridgid 13” Planer and bought the DeWalt 735 (at Lowes) thinking I was upgrading.

When I removed it from the box, I could not find the in and out feed tables; I have since learned that DeWalt is unique in shipping a six hundred dollar planer without these essential parts (in order to avoid snipe).

This is ridiculous! You include them with the less-expensive models, but not with the ‘top of the line’ machine!

Home Depot offers theirs for $369 with all the necessary parts included, SEARS planers all come with the feed tables.

Please send me a set of these parts...

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I use a straight hose that gradually lifts to the overhead where it goes into a 90. I use a piece of lacing tape (waxed flat woven sythentic string) to hoist it up to a nail in the overhead and back down to a nail at chest level where it is tied off. You can then lower it to make adjustments or whatever you would need. I use it to swap out my suction hose to my big planer (PM180). I use that method so I can retain the top as a stacking place to process pieces in batch (i.e. - 1" cut all of the batch then move down in sequence).
No, I didn't. Even after I built the simple 2x6 stand and installed the in/out tables, I didn't even turn it on. It was about a week later that I needed to plane some stock. When it was over, I only had one peice with snipe, but it was my fault. I was happy. Since then, I've planed over 20-30 boards with no snipe. My only issue is keeping the 4" DC hose out of the way from stock passing under it. What do you guys do to hold the hose up? I was thinking of buying a 90 degree elbow of 4" drain or similar to route it perpendicular to stock travel. But if/when I do, how will it keep the elbow, with the added weight of the hose, from spinning downward and interfering with stock travel?

Anyway, like you Charles, for as much as the planner costs, you'd think they'd throw in the tables. But like I said earlier, I turned around and haven't looked back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS