Need to Build DeWalt 735 Planer Stand with in/outfeed support - Anyone aleready build one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Would you believe a six-hundred dollar planer with not feed tables!? I sold off my 15 year old HD Ridgid and went for the Two-speed, Three-blade DeWalt thinking 'upgrade.'

Then I discover the feed tables that come with the $369 Ridgid are an extra, special-order item (at Lowes).

While researching the 'problem,' I thought I saw a post and picture of a stand built to fit the planer such that the planer fit in a recess in the stand and the 'top' of the stand at either end served as the feed tables and supports (much like when folks build their Miter Saw into a work bench such that the top of the Miter Saw is in the same plane as the top of the bench.

Of course, I can't find it now that I own the planer!

I saw "Home » Member » merrill77 » Planer Stand" for a 15" HD Planer, but it appears much larger than I hope to build with feed supports than look to be several feet long (both In and Out!).

If anyone has built such a stand, I would appreciate seeing an image or two and possibly chatting him or her up as to the design and construction details.

On a side note, seeing the various posts here on building mobile stands, may I suggest watching HFT for sales on their Furniture Dollies. I've purchased the small one for as little as six-dollars (w/25% Off coupon) which is less then the price of the four casters! I used one for my Disc/Belt Sander combination with slight modification intending to finish it up elegantly 'down the road.' Way down the road now and, well, it works fine as-is!

And, if you can score (Asheville Scroungers' Paradise) an old shopping cart that was not terribly abused, the rear wheels on them are ideal for making heavy equipment stands that raise up to move the tool and lower to use the tool. Their brackets are offset enough to allow mounting them (t rear of tool) with the wheels just touching the floor so that, raising the front onto two swiveling casters allows easy movement of a heavy tool (I did it on a Table Saw and on a RAS.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Charles I have mine on a mobile stand. I will take a pic and email it to you

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Charles I have mine on a mobile stand. I will take a pic and email it to you

I saw a DeWalt 735 on a stand in your Photobucket page. I already have a similar stand that I used with the Ridgid I sold. But, the Ridgid came with feed tables and was used 'as-is' where as the DeWalt does not include the feed tables (extra fifty+ Bucks) and I want a design that incorporates in feed and out feed support in the stand.

--------------_____________--------------- Something like this where the planer sits low on the stand such that the feed supports ar in the same plane as is the support surface of the planer itself. I suspect it would need some sort of 'adjustment' mechanism where the height of the planer could be changed to keep it in the same plane as the feed supports. Ideally, the supports could be dropped down when the machine was stored. Although such a 'feature' presents alignment issues.

Charles

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Bought my 735 6 mths ago w/no in/outfeed tables. Intention was like yours. After days of designing, I bit the bullet, bought the in/out tables, and built a simple stand from 2x6's. I've since moved on.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
...After days of designing, I ... bought the in/out tables...

Fortunately, I've no pressing need to plane a thing. So I wrote DeWalt a letter. As I understand the law, the Uniform Commercial Code (USC 26, I think) declares an implied warranty of a product's "suitability for intended use."

Since, all I've read about this planer suggests that the snipe cannot be avoided absent the extension/feed tables, the product (without them) is not suitable for the intended use! AS such, they may be liable to ship me a set of tables.

From what I've seen, this model DeWalt planer is the only one on the market that does not include the feed tables - instead, adds a note in the back of the owner's manual offering to sell you a pair. It is one of (if not the) most expensive tools in its class. Its 'little brother' comes with the feed tables at a price significantly less than the 735 before adding the $55 for the tables.

Point of information, please. Did you attempt to use the planer without the feed tables? I would be interested in hearing the results you experienced before and after installing the feed tables.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Well I guess it's time for a contrary opinion. I've had my 735 for over a month now. It came with an extra set of blades and the extension tables, but the hardware to install the tables was missing. I called the vendor and had the hardware in a few days. In the meantime, I used the planer without the extensions and found the snipe to be just about non-existent. I've run several 8' long sapele planks through the machine and again found virtually no snipe. I still haven't installed the extension tables and have no intention of doing so unless snipe begins to rear its ugly head. I couldn't be happier with this planer.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Snipe is not just a matter of having an infeed and an outfeed table; it is also a function of how the board is allowed to behave after it passes by the infeed compression roller as the board finishes its planing pass. If the board is allowed to sag below the plane of the main planer table, there will be snipe as the board pivots on the outfeed side and moves up against the cutter, causing the snipe. If one does have the infeed/outfeed tables, they must be set properly as well and should reduce the possibility of snipe. When planing multiple boards, I find it a good practice to start a second board butted to the end of the previous one before the first board finishes; snipe is almost non-existent. BTW, I have a Dewalt 733 that has been in service for more than 10 years and despite two repairs, it is still going strong.

Another method is to build a carrying sled that creates a long table right through the planer. With one, there is no way the board can sag on the outfeed side.

HTH.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Snipe is not just a matter of having an infeed and an outfeed table ... Another method is to build a carrying sled that creates a long table right through the planer. With one, there is no way the board can sag on the outfeed side. HTH.

Yes, I realize that improper feeding can result in snipe even with the tables. But, all things being equal and doing the best one might expect, the likelihood of snipe is increased w/o the feed tables - this from every review I've found online.

As to the sled approach, I used that with my Ridgid Planer to create lap siding. And, I experienced snipe. However, I was using 'cull lumber' form Lowes and never ran a board through a joint-er before planing it so I can't dispute your claim. Also, my SLED was a 1/2 inch sheet of plastic-coated sign board material (nice slick surface, but not ridged at all) raised up on the left side and laid rather loosely in the planer bed - toward the end, I added some clamps to better hold it in place.

Not withstanding your comments, I would happily argue the case that the 735 is not suitable for planing boards without the feed tables they (DeWalt and almost everyone 'cept you) recommend! Whether I can make my case with DeWalt or not is another matter only time will tell! But I believe in complaining - almost always worth the postage!

And, thanks for the feedback.

(;harles

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Thanks, Ernie, for that comment. At least, if I fail to prevail with DeWalt, I won't have to return the planer to Lowes.

BTW What does "Corporate Member DQ" mean next to your name?

You said " It came with an extra set of blades and the extension tables." Mind telling me where you got yours and the price? Lowes lists it at $599 w/o 'extra' blades and w/o the feed tables.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
golfdad;479709I will take a pic and email it to you[/QUOTE said:
OK, but a SMALL PIC PLEASE - I am on Dial-up and large attachments take way too long to load and often screw up my email downloads.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks, Ernie, for that comment. At least, if I fail to prevail with DeWalt, I won't have to return the planer to Lowes.

BTW What does "Corporate Member DQ" mean next to your name?

You said " It came with an extra set of blades and the extension tables." Mind telling me where you got yours and the price? Lowes lists it at $599 w/o 'extra' blades and w/o the feed tables.

I bought the planer from Amazon for $599. From time to time they offer a package that includes extra blades and the extension tables. I just happened to check Amazon's price when a sale was in progress.

I'm not sure what Corporate Member means, but I believe the DQ means Discount Qualified.

Enjoy the planer.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Last July I bought my 735, outfield tables, and extra knives as a package from Amazon for $497.99. Sometimes you just need to be patient and wait. There's a site called camelcamelcamel.com that will watch for you.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I've had my 735 for about three years. I replaced the regular cutter blades with a Byrd Shelix. I only use the extension tables if I'm planning a board longer than about 4 feet. Even with the tables I find snipe comes and goes. It pays to make sure the rollers are clean and that the extension tables are adjusted to tilt slightly toward the machine. Most times I also try to remember to hold the end of the board up going in and leaving the planer.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
I doubt you'll be able to get dewalt to send you extentions without paying for them. It isn't hard to make a planer stand just make the the infeed and outfeed about an 1/8th of an inch above the infeed and outfeed and sand the sides closes to the machine flush so that it goes up at a slight angle. There's really no set design you have to use for the planner so long as it does the job. And seeing as you have no need to plane anything down you should have plenty of time to come up with something if nothing but a cart with a recess for the planner and tables at each end. Or am I missing something?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Not withstanding your comments, I would happily argue the case that the 735 is not suitable for planing boards without the feed tables they (DeWalt and almost everyone 'cept you) recommend!

IMO, that's just silly - it's a perfectly good planer w/o the tables. If the item was not advertised as "extension tables included", you've got nothing on your side.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
IMO, that's just silly - it's a perfectly good planer w/o the tables. If the item was not advertised as "extension tables included", you've got nothing on your side.

+1 - In my experience, it's more important to lift up on the board as it exits the planer. When planing an 8' long board, a small extension table can lull you into a sense of security that may not be warranted. I'll leave the extension off and continue to lift up on the board as I have done for years.

wayne

New User
wayne

I'm with you on this one chris, problem is some people think the world owes them.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
Agreed, he asked about how to build a planner stand not blackmail a company into sending him a free product. lol

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Last July I bought my 735, outfield tables, and extra knives as a package from Amazon for $497.99. Sometimes you just need to be patient and wait. There's a site called camelcamelcamel.com that will watch for you.

Actually, I got mine for less than the Retail price by getting LOWES to price match the web. But I like the Camel Camel idea and will look into it ASAP. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS