Need some math help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Yes indeed. Larger printing can be had when you need it. I do a lot of woodworking plans on Arch E paper (48 x 36) and when I need to have them printed for myself, I go to Staples.

Not trying to hijack this thread but a couple things came to mind. Well, I guess I am, sorry.

Woodworker's Journal/Jet had a plan for a pizza peel that I'd love to make but the .pdf file required you to print it out, paste it together. Was wondering if anyone could print it out on a single/large page?

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/make-pizza-peel/

The second thing is I'd like to learn Sketchup and I hear you are the go to guy. Any good online tutorials that you'd recommend?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I could redraw it and put it on a single sheet to be printed out at Staples or where ever.

The second thing is I'd like to learn Sketchup and I hear you are the go to guy. Any good online tutorials that you'd recommend?

Well, I guess I'd suggest you start with the Getting Started videos and then if you want something more specific to woodworking, you could check out my Basics video which is available on DVD or as an electronic download from the Taunton Store. After you hit those getting started videos, we could make arrangements to connect for some one on one if that's of interest.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I could redraw it and put it on a single sheet to be printed out at Staples or where ever.

Well, I guess I'd suggest you start with the Getting Started videos and then if you want something more specific to woodworking, you could check out my Basics video which is available on DVD or as an electronic download from the Taunton Store. After you hit those getting started videos, we could make arrangements to connect for some one on one if that's of interest.

I appreciate the offer but knowing the time it would take you to do it, I could just buy one. I was hoping someone with a large format printer could print it in one page. I suspected by the file, it wasn't meant to be done that way.

I've been through those getting started tutorials a couple of times. I keep going back to drawing by hand. Took some drafting courses waaaay back, like late early 70's. Guess that's a hard habit to break.

I found your downloads on Taunton. Will be purchasing them.

Thanks!!

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I appreciate the offer but knowing the time it would take you to do it, I could just buy one.

I redrew it, made a full size pattern in the form of a PDF, e-mailed it and took the dog for a walk around the long block. Check your e-mail. I sent it 24 minutes ago.

Thank you.

Last edited:

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I redrew it, made a full size pattern in the form of a PDF, e-mailed it and too the dog for a walk around the long block. Check your e-mail. I sent it 24 minutes ago.

Thank you.

Awesome!! Went to walk the dog and came back and found it. Took less time for you to re-draw than me going through the first tutorial!! Definitely impressed!!

Again, thanks!!

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I think you guys are over complicating things. Get you one of these...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 208

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
Dave, being somewhat new the forum, let me ask; Is there some sort of Hatfield/McCoy situation between SketchUp and Draftsight?

attachment.php

Two different approaches, same result.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 204

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
No. Not that I know of, anyway. It's just that everytime someone mentions wanting to learn how to use SketchUp, someone else is sure to try to divert the thread to some other program. If someone wants to learn how to use a Leigh dovetail jig, it doesn't make sense to recommend the Rockler dovetail jig.

There's nothing wrong with other programs, and if you're happy with 2D line drawings, Draftsight is fine.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I may be interested in that Draftsight ...

I learned drafting in high school on paper with pencil, triangles, and rule.
The Sketchup 3-D mindset is difficult for me to grasp. Very counter-intuitive. It never does what I expect.

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
I may be interested in that Draftsight ...

I learned drafting in high school on paper with pencil, triangles, and rule.
The Sketchup 3-D mindset is difficult for me to grasp. Very counter-intuitive. It never does what I expect.

I won't derail the thread any more than I have already, If you run into trouble, shoot me a PM and I am happy to help.

JD

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just curious why anybody would want to draw something or plot something or print something or divide something when it only takes six keystrokes on a calculator

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just curious why anybody would want to draw something or plot something or print something or divide something when it only takes six keystrokes on a calculator

Awww, come on, Phil! Where's the fun in using an electronic calculator?:nah:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I divide the circle I have a drawing on the wood ready to cut.
Not just some numbers on a screen that mean nothing to me.
That's just how I work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS