Need some math help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I am to old to remember how this is done, so hopefully someone else can..

I have a 13" diameter circle in which I want I want 15 equal slices (24 degrees each). What is a good way to determine the layout (please show your work to get extra credit):confused:

Thanks in advance

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would step off 15 equal spaces with dividers.

or set my Starrett protractor to 24 degrees and mark it out.

or do a print on the computer

or

or

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
the chord for 13" dia circle with a central angle of 24 is 5.4056"

Just set your dividers to exactly 5.4056" and step off the circle

Hope this help

Sorry I misread and calculated this for a circle with 13" radius instead of a 6.5 radius

The real answer is 2.7028"

Formula is (Sin 12 * 6.5)*2

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Somehow I came up w/ a different number than Phil. Using SketchUp, I came up w/ 2 11/16" for the dividers.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sanity check, 5x15 is 75 that seems larger than the circumference if a 13 inch diamiter circle.

3x15 is 45 I’d say that’s closer.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I'd also do it graphically with SketchUp's Pie tool to set up dividers. If I really wanted it to be accurate, I'd print it full size so I could set the dividers off it directly.
Screenshot - 5_8_2018 , 9_12_50 PM.png

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'd also do it graphically with SketchUp's Pie tool to set up dividers. If I really wanted it to be accurate, I'd print it full size so I could set the dividers off it directly.
attachment.php

If you want it in fractions instead of thousandths, I came up w/ 2 45/64" using Dave's method. SketchUp is a wonderful tool.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The best that you're probably going to get is setting your calipers to 2.70" (2.703" = 2 45/64", +/- 1/64") if you can get that close in the real world. Our pure math carries the decimal beyond what's practical in the shop.

attachment.php

https://www.mathopenref.com/arclength.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.26.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.26.21 AM.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
A math problem? No problem for me, I'm just gonna go back to bed.........:wconfused:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Jeff, that one is just 8-1/2 x 11 so you should be able to print it on your printer at home. When you get set to print it from Adobe Reader or Acrobat make sure you select the correct setting.

Screenshot - 5_9_2018 , 12_08_09 PM.png

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Dave. How do you get a full size PDF file printed? Where?
For that particular print 8.5x11 will fit, Most small print shops and even the office supply stores have large format printers now. They charge a lot for a full size 36x48 or some can do even larger but when you really need it...

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Yes indeed. Larger printing can be had when you need it. I do a lot of woodworking plans on Arch E paper (48 x 36) and when I need to have them printed for myself, I go to Staples.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some UPS stores also carry large format printers. I've had the need occasionally to have full size architectural prints forwarded to me in the field and been able to email the items to the appropriate branch. It was usually ready by the time I arrived, saving me a trip across town and a lot of headaches.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yes it worked fine on my home printer on 8.5 x 11 paper. Pretty darn accurate with a ruler in 1/64 increments (2 45/64"). Thanks folks.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you don’t know the math or don’t want to bother and don’t have a computer program to work it out you can draw a circle the right size. Any size will work. Take a wild guess and set your compass or dividers. Walk off 15 spaces or what ever number you need. You will probably be over or under the starting point. Now, this is the tricky part. Adjust your divider to 1/15 or what ever number you need smaller or larger. Then walk it off again, you should be a lot closer. Adjust again if you need to then mark each point that the divider touches as you go around the circle. This usually gets me within a few 1/1000ths faster than I can go find a calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS