Need some finishing help - mirror frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
So, I kind of boxed myself into a corner. I am making another Chippendale style mirror frame and am trying to solve the problem I've had with previous frames. After the pieces are cut out, the shellac top coat doesn't quite fill the pores and any kind of rubbing out is complicated by the jagged edges of the scroll sawn pieces - I end up with some sand through on edges and still have pores that I don't like.

This time I made the veneer panel, dyed, washcoat shellac'd, pore filler'd, then scroll sawed out the six pieces that glue to the frame. I think I solved one problem, but created another. I can't figure out the best way to finish up the project. Should I glue it all together, put blue tape on the surface of the finished pieces, then dye the rest of the frame? Or, should I try to dye the edges and frame, then glue everything together? I'm using water based powder dye stain. Will wood glue stick to a dyed surface?

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out the best way to avoid getting new dye on the finished face of the veneer.

Woodworking is fun! :help:

09_004.jpg

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
IMHO I would tape off the areas that will need to be glued when finished and then finish the frame and assemble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS