Need Help with Tool ID

MarkSmithB

Mark
User
Folks,

In a recent bulk purchase of turning tools (bulk meaning 7 if I remember correctly), I could not identify three of the tools. If anyone out there knows what they are and how they are used, I'd appreciate the information.

All three are Marples tools. All are completely flat. Two of them have a sharpened radius with a reasonable acute angle (app. 25 degrees) while the third has a sharpened straight edge (also about 25 degrees).

Are they turning tools? If so, how does one use them?

If not turning tools, what are they used for?

Thanks,
Mark

PXL_20230913_231814743.jpg

PXL_20230913_231844916.jpg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Years ago, I had an Oliver 51-K lathe that came with a set of Buck Brothers lathe tools. The tools ranged from 2" to 1/4" wide and each one had a single bevel and were ground straight across. Apparently in the past it was common to have a single bevel on lathe tools. The ones you show are not very recent vintage and are probably hight carbon steel.

Roy G

iclark

Ivan
User
What they said above is spot on
+1
Unless they are marked HSS, they are almost certainly high-carbon steel (aka tool steel). That means that overheating them on a grinder will pull the temper. If the steel turns blue, the temper is gone and needs a proper heat treatment to be useful again.

MarkSmithB

Mark
User
Years ago, I had an Oliver 51-K lathe that came with a set of Buck Brothers lathe tools. The tools ranged from 2" to 1/4" wide and each one had a single bevel and were ground straight across. Apparently in the past it was common to have a single bevel on lathe tools. The ones you show are not very recent vintage and are probably hight carbon steel.

Roy G
I realize that I could convert them to scrapers if I wanted to, but I have a decent array of scrapers already.

Let me ask the question a different way; is there a legitimate use in wood turning of a flat chisel sharpened to 25 degrees with a radius or straight edge? I made a very brief trial at the lathe with one of the curved edges, and my initial reaction was horror. But that may simply be that I don't know what I'm doing.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I realize that I could convert them to scrapers if I wanted to, but I have a decent array of scrapers already.

Let me ask the question a different way; is there a legitimate use in wood turning of a flat chisel sharpened to 25 degrees with a radius or straight edge? I made a very brief trial at the lathe with one of the curved edges, and my initial reaction was horror. But that may simply be that I don't know what I'm doing.
With practice you may find they work well with the skew technique.

iclark

Ivan
User

If you look at skews with the Lacer grind or the Raffan grind, you see a straight section perpendicular to the long edge of the tool. One of the uses for that section is making a planing cut to rapidly reduce the diameter of a section of a spindle. That cut is done high on the spindle with the tool level to the ground.

A flat chisel (straight across) can be used to make that same planing cut. It is done bevel down and with the tool nominally level.

It can also be used on edge (vertical cutting edge) to make grooves, but it takes practice and you have to keep flipping the tool over to make symmetric grooves.

I am told that, long ago, skews were one-sided and that the bevel on both sides for skews is a relatively modern change. It predated me doing turning, though, if true.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS