Need HELP with molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I need to make a curved molding for a little, itty bitty instrument I'm making for my grand kids. The curve is too severe for steam bending. Here's a sketchup drawing of the molding I need.

molding.jpg

The back side (right side in this picture) must conform perfectly to a side of the instruments case. I suppose I'm going to have to cut this molding out of wide stock rather than attempting to bend it. Any ideas of how to do this accurately?:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Ernie

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
One way is to find a burl with the grain running the way you need. Cut the face curve, rout the profile, then cut out the molding strip from the larger blank.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
One way is to find a burl with the grain running the way you need. Cut the face curve, rout the profile, then cut out the molding strip from the larger blank.

Thanks, Joe. My concern is that everything is registered from the face curve but it's the rear curve that is critical. I may try it this way and just cut the molding from the wide stock a bit oversized. Then it would be a matter of selective fitting to the curve of the instrument.

Ernie

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ernie, What type of wood do you plan on making this molding from and what is the size of the radius?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie, What type of wood do you plan on making this molding from and what is the size of the radius?

Phil - The molding is poplar. I have no idea what the radius is but the curve at its deepest point is only about 1/2". It's not the curve that's severe, it's the fact that the entire curved section of the molding is less than 5" long. The rest of the molding is straight. The problem is curving the molding in such a small length. Here's a better picture.

The molding will live in the area pointed to by the red arrow. You can see the molding that I need on the top of the curved side of the case. That molding was made by kerfing the wood, which was fine as the top molding will be painted. The molding I need now will be clear so kerfing is out.

Ernie

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ernie,
It sure seems to me that steam bending would be one way to do this. I would use a template form and clamp a piece of steamed poplar to it. I would bend a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 and then shape the cove after.
I am getting ready to to a wood bending demo on Sept 11 at Klingspor. If I could get the details of the curve you are try to match (maybe an emailed template I could print out) I would make a wood form to match and then try to bend your piece as part of the demo

Phil

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie,
It sure seems to me that steam bending would be one way to do this. I would use a template form and clamp a piece of steamed poplar to it. I would bend a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 and then shape the cove after.
I am getting ready to to a wood bending demo on Sept 11 at Klingspor. If I could get the details of the curve you are try to match (maybe an emailed template I could print out) I would make a wood form to match and then try to bend your piece as part of the demo

Phil

Thanks Phil - PM sent.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS