Need help lining the inside of a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I would like to make a wooden box that holds a couple of drinking glasses. I can make the box, but the inside is where I need help. Anyone have any experience lining the insides of a box that would hold my glasses securely, probably in padding, or something to protect the glasses? I also have the added feature where I want to have a window of sorts in the top through which I will be able to see at least part of the contents, so the glasses need to be visible through the window.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Matt,

I make a pad for the bottoms of my jewelry boxes and cases using Ultrasuede (R), cotton batting, and hard felt as the base. Basically, I cut a piece of the hard felt (this has the rigidity of cardboard and is available at craft supply stores) about 1/16" less than the dimensions of the bottom. This allowance is necessary to accommodate for the Ultrasuede that will wrap around the edges. Then cut two thicknesses of the cotton batting the same size as the felt, using the felt piece as a template. The Ultrasuede is cut about two inches longer in length and width than the felt, and then a 45 degree cut is made at each corner, the cut line coinciding with the corner of the felt. I am having a difficult time describing this, and pictures would be better, but I think you will get the idea with the pieces in front of you.

You now have all of the pieces cut to size, and just need to assemble them. Apply a good coat of 3M spray adhesive to the back of the Ultrasuede, taking care not to get any adhesive on the face side as you handle it. Place the Ultrasuede on a clean surface, adhesive side up, and then place the batting in the middle. Each corner of the batting should be at the center of each 45 degree corner cut. Now place the felt on top of the batting. Pull one long edge of the Ultrasuede around the edge of the felt and adhere it to the felt. Do the opposite edge the same way, pulling it snug. It does not have to be really tight. Then do the other two edges the same way. Some care is required to get the corners correct, but with a little trial and error on some practice pieces, the technique becomes quickly apparent.

I know this may sound a little confusing and difficult, but it is really just a basic upholstery technique, and is not very hard to do. The finished pad should fit snugly in the box bottom, and generally does not require any adhesive to hold it in place. I only do the bottom of the box, but each side could be done as well to create a totally padded box. The side pieces would probably require some double sided tape to hold them in place.

The advantage of using Utlrasuede is that it is a microfiber product, and will not react with any metals. Real suede or leather has chemicals in it related to the tanning process that can cause oxidation, etc., at least that is what I understand. Additionally, Ultrasuede is very plush in appearance and feel, and has a very classy look.

I hope I haven't confused you. I have thought from time to time of photographing the process and posting it here as a tutorial, but just haven't done it. Maybe next time I do it, I will photograph each step of the process.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Hey Matt,

Wow, great explanation and description of your process. it is very clear to me. However, what I had in mind was something that would keep heavier glasses from rolling around in there. Like a material that would surround each glass and hold them fairly firmly.
I do make a lot of jewelry boxes and will try to incorporate your process there. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and comprehensive explanation.

Matt...

kernnal

New User
Eric
Matt,

I have used the green foam product they use in floral arrangements for a similar project. The foam is dense and heavy but is easily shaped to various forms. It can be found at just about any craft store now a days.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Matt,

I guess didn't quite understand what you were trying to do. Eric's suggestion of the floral foam is an excellent one, and I know exactly the product he is describing. Depending upon the shape of the recess, a microfiber fabric may conform nicely. These fabrics have some stretch and elasticity in every direction, and with some care I think you could get this to work. As with any technique, some experimentation before doing the real thing is helpful.

I forgot to mention that I get the Ultrasuede on eBay. There are sellers who have offcuts etc., that are quite sufficient for small projects, and the price is far better than the MSRP. True Ultrasuede fabric is expensive, but I have found that it is better than the cheaper knock offs, and worth the additional cost.

Matt

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
With the green foam you could spray 3M adhesive and flock the foam to make a nice soft cradle.

Or with soft upholstery foam you could use knitted velour to line the foam. Make slits in the foam where you need to tuck the fabric to keep it from bunching.

With either one you can shape a wire to the profile of the glass and heat the wire red hot to cut the shape to fit the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS