Need finished basement ceiling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Hello all.

Sometime in the future, I am going to remodel our finished basement. Currently the ceiling is a dropped style with 2’ x 4’ panels. I REALLY don’t want to put the same type ceiling back up, but due to having to access a couple of junction boxes and a water shutoff valve for the icemaker, I can’t just put up a drywall ceiling.

I am looking for any and all suggestions as to what I can do for the ceiling.

Thanks.
Bill M.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
How many junction boxes & access points do you have? You could do drywall & use an access hatch at those points if there aren't too many.
Are relocating the junction boxes into the drywall ceiling an option using a plaster ring & cover plate?
You could also use drywall panels - vinyl faced or painted - in the 2 x 4 frame.
Another consideration you might not have given regarding the ceiling; is there any plumbing hanging below the joists? Would you need to configure around this?

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit below the joists. Two large hvac ducts, a water line and a couple of electrical lines. So whatever type I put in, it will have to be dropped down past those things.

I know for sure I have 1 junction box, but I'm not sure if there are others. I would have to check it more closely.

I am not opposed to doing drywall and possibly having a couple of access panels. I need to find out how many access panels I would need. And since the drywall would need to be below all of the ducts and things, I would need to build some sort of frame for the drywall to be attached to. I guess that's possible. :dontknow:

If it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing, it's because I don't :rolf:

Thanks,
Bill

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Drywall & acoustical ceiling suppliers carry a system using metal furring channels & hat sections that can support drywall. It's all suspended with wires just like the acoustical system you have & put together with pan head screws. You could use access panels strategically placed to get to the shutoff & junction boxes you need.
See if you have access to one of the following companies in W-S:
C-K Supply Co.
Colonial Materials
Stock Supply Co.
Builder 1 Source.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
For the same reasons you mentioned, I opted for suspended ceiling. Few years ago, a first floor bath tub developed a slow leak. Fixed the leak and replaced 1 tile.

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not have any suspended ceilings but if you are concerned only with aesthetics in your remodel job you might consider keeping the current ceiling system but look into the large number of drop in panel styles available today. "Way back when" panel choices were limited but that is no longer the case today. Another consideration is the access issue that Joe pointed out. :wsmile:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
another option if you have the notion wood be to make 1/4 or 3/8 ply panels with applied moldings to simulate a coffered ceiling. :gar-Bi:gar-Bi

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
Finished my basement ~2 years ago - added about 1300 sq ft of space. I used the 2x2 tiles that look like a single raised panel and had a matte white, smooth finish and am happy with how it turned out. They were a special order item from Lowe's (I could get it cheaper than from my builder's supply house). I've got some spares if you're interested I could snap a pic or two. Another way to dress it up is to use the thin rails, which would further minimize the grid look.

If I had more time, I would have done as others suggested and done a mix of sheetrock/trey ceilings with panels and then boxed in around the HVAC/plumbing. Our builder planned for a drop so we still had 8' ceilings though.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Thanks for the help guys! Just the type of suggestions I was looking for.

Randy, if you could post a pic or 2 of your finished ceiling I would appreciate it. And if anyone else has any pics of theirs, please feel free to post.

Thanks,
Bill

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
Thanks for the help guys! Just the type of suggestions I was looking for.

Randy, if you could post a pic or 2 of your finished ceiling I would appreciate it. And if anyone else has any pics of theirs, please feel free to post.

Thanks,
Bill

Will do - give me a day or two (year end close at work). If you're interested after seeing the pic and get more serious about your choice - I'm local - K-Vegas plus I work at a certain large underwear company in Winston.:wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS