Need advice on transporting bandsaw and drill press

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
Well I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I tossed out an offer a few weeks ago on some equipment in Charlotte on a private auction and never heard back; figured I'd lost. Got contacted today saying that I won both items. A 14" Rockwell wood/metal band saw and a floor mount drill press.

These as pictured:
rock3.jpg

rock2.jpg

My father was going to assist from Shelby (with a truck) but is now unavailable.

I have access to a van or I may rent a truck or trailer. I have a trailer hitch on my car but it is a light duty hitch, I've only used it for a bike rack and not sure how well my car will handle a loaded trailer (VW Jetta). Not sure which would be better. I do have trailer light wiring on the car. I am not sure how heavy these items will be or how best to load/unload. I would think it best to disassemble the band saw and lay it on its side, with the base, motor, and table removed to prevent damage. Drill press laying on its side.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I wouldn't pull anything and just move it. Bring along some scrap lumber and use as dunnage. Get a buddy with a pickup and you'll be fine. Use a few good straps and some old blankets and you'll be fine.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
Yes one of my biggest concerns is tipping, and also weight. It would certainly seem easier to move in smaller chunks.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Do as Zach said, dont overthink it, theyre not very heavy for 2 people to move. lay them both down, just be careful what youre laying them on and theyll be fine.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I wouldn't pull anything and just move it. Bring along some scrap lumber and use as dunnage. Get a buddy with a pickup and you'll be fine. Use a few good straps and some old blankets and you'll be fine.

^^^ this.

Scott

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Think about this, get a U-Haul van or pickup for local use! Basic charge plus milage, saves wear and tear on your own vehicle and they come with tie down points.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
The saw itself, from what I could find on OWWM.org, is about 150#. Guard, W/M mechanism, stand and motor probably adds at least another 100#. I am in the other camp. Take it apart, especially the bandsaw table. You break the trunnions and you will be sad and your wallet will be a lot lighter. So, be careful of table if you move it intact. maybe, at least pull the table.

Drill press, don't know. two guys should be able to horse it down flat and strap it in.

By the way, nice get. Congrats.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Exactly! These are pretty rugged machines, and as long as you're reasonably careful and strap them down secure during transport, you'll be fine. Don't worry about bumping them out of alignment. You're going to have to "tune" them anyway.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I would put the drill press table and head down on the shaft as low as possible. Low center of gravity that way. The bandsaw comes apart fairly easily and can be moved that way. Use plenty of ties and make sure they can't slide on the bed of whatever you move them in.

Roy G

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
A few years back I transported a Delta 14" bandsaw similar to your yours. I removed the stand/motor base and separated the table. Just laid the head w/wheels on its side in the bed of the truck, tied it all down and all was just fine. Disassembly (5 minute job) made managing the overall weight much more manageable for one person.

If the head of the drillpress easily separates from the column, then just transport as two separate assemblies. Head and column/base.

Wayne

Jim Roche

jim
User
Remove the table from the band saw before moving it. The reunions, underneath the table, are made from pot metal and can't handle its own weight if you try to pick it up using the table. There should be 2 faucet style knobs under the table, back those off and the table removes easily. No tools needed. Lay the band saw on its back for travel and strap,it down.
Like said earlier, drop the table and the head down to the lowest part possible on the column and strap.
This is easily done with 2 people.

good luck,

Jim

Runk

New User
Runk
I have moved both types of machinery from KY to MN in a 1972 short bed pick-up with a topper. I disassembled the band saw from the stand and further took the stand apart. Placed the saw against the cab wall and blocked it so it could not move. I took the head off the drill press and also placed it against the cab wall. This puts most of the weight mid truck. I had other things to pack in between the heavy stuff. The most important thing is to be sure that the load cannot shift while moving. It is also important to keep the center of gravity low.

I have also moved that equipment from MN to NC is a touch where the equipment could stand up. In that case I left it assembled and tied it off against the sides of the truck. Packed it well with soft material and used other items to be sure that it would not shift while making the long journey.

In both moves all equipment arrived without any damage, as expected.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When laying tools on bed of trailer, I like to use some old tires under them for cushioning . On the saw, I would not only remove table, but also table mounting bracket. I've hauled a similar saw in back of my pickup, full of tools and with a shell on top. On the DP, head is held on with a couple set screws. Base most likely has three or four screws holding it in place. Column is just a piece of pipe. With breaking down, and no passengers, you could probably fit everything into your car.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
What Jim and some others said - you absolutely want to remove the table from the bandsaw. It is not hard to snap a trunnion on a Delta 14" bs due to the weak trunnion design and the leverage provided by the table.

Secondly, you want to transport the bandsaw *upright* if possible. That saw has a gearbox filled with oil and some will come out when you lay the saw down. Or just be prepared to deal with that.

I would probably also remove the table itself (but not the 'collar') from the drill-press as that design relies on friction to keep the table in place. Again, due to the leverage the table provides.

Also, with that particular drill press, the head *might* have the ability to slide down the column allowing you to drop the center of gravity way down. You'll want two people if you're dropping the head tho. The drill press can be walked onto a trailer, or loaded horizontally into a van/pickup/trailer.

Tie everything down really well - I would recommend against transporting upright in an open trailer or pickup unless you have experience with such things. It is alarming to see your bandsaw tipping over in your rearview mirror because you didn't realize all the directions it could move and lash accordingly.

Last tip: A sheet of 1/4" hardboard from your local big-box store provides a slick, disposable surface for sliding machines in and out.

-Mark

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have moved machines and read about moving machines. All the ideas above have merit. From all accounts you've got the most important thing covered. Move it yourself. Moving companys have very little knowledge about moving shop equipment.

Pop

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like using U-Haul trailers because they don't get a lot for them. Their website will tell you what they will rent to you using a Jetta. If you rent a truck you pay for mileage and time. If you rent a trailer it is just time. I would guess both machines together are not over 500 lbs. Them and the trailer shouldn't be over 1000 lbs. The Jetta should handle that.

I moved my floor standing drill press myself, on a trailer, but it was heavy. I've never moved a bandsaw like that but I suspect it would be similar in weight and ackwardness. 2 people would make it a lot easier. With 2, I think this is pretty easy. Little open trailer and some tie down straps and possibly something to put under and over the tools and you should be good. I say possibly because I don't think you'll do serious damage to these tools if you don't pad them. Maybe a bit of scratching. I don't worry about cosmetics on my tools very much.

nicemac

New User
Kevin
+1 on strapping down well.

About 15 years ago, I scored a cheap bandsaw. I layed it down and placed it up against the cab of my Ford Ranger. Put a rope across it to "keep it from moving". All was well until I had to stop in a real hurry. The two legs up high came right through he back window of the truck.

I have moved many tools since then. Much bigger and much heavier. I use multiple straps until there is now way for it to move. Heavy straps. Multiple straps.

Did I mention I learned the hard way to tie things down well?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS