Need Advice on Mortising Chisels

Status
Not open for further replies.

smandal

New User
sumanta
My immediate goal is to make mortises with my plunge router and use chisels to clean the edges.
My long term goal is to use just hand chisels for all mortising needs.
I want really good quality chisels which can last a lifetime.

My next purchase is going to be a set of mortising chisels.

I started my research this morning. I'm little overwhelmed with the options out there.

Lie-Neilsen, Ray Illes, Japanese Masumura Blue Steel Chisels

I did not even know there are so many ways to make a mortise with chisels
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/cSchwarz/z_art/mortChisel/mortChis3.asp

What do you all use/recommend?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm a firm believer in the Ray Iles mortise chisels.

But, I'd look at the 1/4 and 3/8ths set. The rest of those sizes, while nice, are much less common in the real world.

One other makers you might look at is Barr. His stuff is pretty amazing.

You might wish to decide on western or japanese style before you invest a lot. They tend to require a different set of accessories and techniques. Mainly when sharpening. I'd not say one is better than the other, they are just different.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You are really looking at two different sets of chisels.

For cleaning up a drilled mortise the straight flat type of chisels.

For cutting mortises with only the chisel you need a specialty tool. Don't get the thin sash mortise chisel. You want the thick heavy mortise type. Ray Illes make a nice set.

IMG_46991.JPG

Here at the bottom of the photo is one I found at an antique store. It needs a handle, but notice how heavy the blade is.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I just bought the LN 5 pc. set of mortise chisels. Haven't used them yet, so can't say much. Other than they are handsome and feel good. My LN set of bevel edge socket chisels made me do it!:rotflm::rotflm:

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
There are the registered mortising chisels which look like a bevel edge chisel without the bevel edge (i.e, abouit 1/4" thick with square edges). These are classed as light or medium duty mortising chisels. Marples makes these and you can get them at Woodcraft or online.

Sorby makes a set of sash mortising chisels. These are called sash since they were used on window and door sash but their chief characteristic is that the cross section of the blade is square, They are pretty heavy duty. You can get these up to 1/2" in width. Lots of places have the Sorby sash chisels. They also make corner chisels and swan necks (for cleaning out the bottom of a mortise). I think this may be the style of the L-N chsels as well.

The traditional English style oval bolstered mortising chisel (tanged chisel with an oval handle) is a heavy duty chisel. You can find these up to 1" or so, down to 3/32". They are readily available at antique tool shows and on line at Ebay for example. These chisels have a rectangular cross section, hence are very useful for deep levering, etc. The Ray Iles chisles are this type.

For most work, I would guess that 1/4" chisel is best (for 3/4" stock). If you are making a table, you might want a 5/16" chsiel or even a 3/8". I would say that would cover 99% of your needs and that a 5/16" would probably be the single best choice for one chisel. If you are doing frames and cabinets, etc then I would recommend the Sorby chisels. If you are going to do heavier mortising, then I would recommend the Ray Iles, although these are very suitable for the most delicate mortising jobs, notwithstanding their mass.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Everythhing seems to have its own pros and cons, and mortising chisels are no exception. The japan chisels are high quailty laminated steel, which takes and holds an edge very well, but the hollow back grind means you can run out of chisel a lot faster - How fast depends on how much mortising your do. They also are not the most substantial chisel out there, and a dedicated mortising chisel may help you - Although I don't own any, all my hand cut mortises are done with bench chisels....

I havn't used the Lie Neilsen, but everything I've ever bought from them is spectacular, and I'm sure their mortising chisels are the same..

For what it's worth, My bench chisels are a mix of old stanley 750's, and newer craftsman - The craftsman chisels actually have very tough steel and hold an edge for a long time, and most of my chopping is in white oak...

Hope this helps

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
I just bought a 5/8" MHG chisel from Hartville tool. With the sale going on right now (see
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f77/hartville-tool-discount-24898), it's at a VERY reasonable price.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11707

It just came in the mail, so I have yet to try it. Also keep in mind that I'd be comparing it to a FatMax Stanley Chisel that I was using previously. I'll put a post up when I give it a whirl.

I also tried out a pigsticker chisel from "Sydnas Sloot", but the particular one I saw had a crooked, checked handle. The nice thing about this guy is that he will send it to you, and only if you like it will you have to send him money. In my case, I am just sending him back the chisel (he even offered to pay for return postage). But he does seem to have fairly reasonable prices, at least compared to the ebay auctions I lost on.

http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm#chisel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS