Need Advice for Routing Raied Door Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturi

New User
Mark
I am looking for some advice on routing raised panels. I just picked up my first raised panel bit and I have to admit, I am a little intimidated after trying a piece of scrap. I routed across the end of a board and it did not feel safe. I then tried to make several passes raising the bit a little each time but there is a built-in back cutter attachment and it looks like that approach defeats the purpose of the back cutter. Should I remove the back cutter and add it just before the final pass or keep the bit at the finished height and move the fence back a little with each pass? What is the right way to do this safely, especially across the ends? I guess I will have the same issue with the stile and rail bits. I've never used bits this large and I do not feel safe. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Monty

New User
Monty
First thing is make sure you're not spinning the bit too fast! You'll have to check your router's manual to determine the safe speeds for big bits like that, but generally SLOW DOWN! Also, rout the two end grain sides first, then the two long-grain sides. This will help minimize the tearout on your end-grain passes.

mturi

New User
Mark
I should have mentioned the bit speed. I did start at 10,000 and also started with the end of the board for tearout reasons. Do you make one pass or several?

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Several passes, definitely!!! Like Insom. said slow your router speed down (10000 rpm should be fine). And with a back cutter I would think that you would have to keep the bit at the same height and move the fence back each pass. My .02,

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Sorry, I see what you're asking now... obviously you've figured out that you can't change the cutter height. You have basically 2 choices if you're having trouble. One thing you could do is use a vertical sled on the table saw to cut away a good portion of the profile first, then go to the router table to clean up and finish the profile in one pass. Another choice is to change the bearing on your bit to a larger bearing for the first pass, then go to the smaller bearing the bit came with for the final pass.

That's all the ideas I have... good luck, and post pics of what you're making!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Both Insom and Dave offer good solutions. Either changing the bearing or adjusting the fence should work.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
yea, the bearing idea really applies if you're cutting a arched-top door -- you won't be using a fence for that, you'll be up against the bearing. For a square door, just moving the fence would be simpler... sorry, don't mean to make things more complicated!!!

:BangHead:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Good advise from both Insom and Dave O. One thing I also do is to make my second to last cut just shy of the full depth (bearing) so the final pass is a very light cut. With a smaller router it usually takes 4-5 passes depending on the wood. With my big router, 3-4 passes.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
If you're not making a production run you can get by with incrementing the fence toward the bearing and taking 3-5 small cuts. But you will need to make a setup cut on scrap. I use sugar pine(shelving), to make sure my bit height is correct. Incidentally, when I get a bit setup, I cutoff a piece of the profile, drill a 1/2" hole in it, and plug the bit in it. Next time, I can use it as a setup block for that bit.
This pic shows a push sled made from scrap and I use a push block all the time. Door rails (end cuts) need plenty of angular support and tear-out backing.
Joe

routersleda.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
you could set your fence at it's final location with the bearing even with the fence face, then put clamps hehind the fence to mark it's location. then you can bring the fence up past the bit, and make passes while moving it backwards in small increments until the clamps stop you at your final position.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Another suggestion would be to use a featherboard to apply consistent downward pressure to ensure your corners come out properly. I don't worry about tearout on raised panels because it cleans up when you make the long grain cuts. You definitely want to use a backer for your end cuts on the rails. I'll upload a picture of the sled I made for those tonight when I get home.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I just finished a complete set of kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities all with raised panel doors. All of the above tips apply. I didn't try removing part of the waste on the TS, probably because I didn't think about it.:BangHead: Even though I was making 3-5 passes I still burned up a DW621 2 1/4 rounter after about a dozen doors. :BangHead: But that gave me reason to but a 3 1/4 HP Freud FT200EP:mrgreen: :mrgreen: with no complaints from the LOML. I guess she wanted the cabinets completed.:mrgreen: Good luck.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Can't wait to see the pics of your doors. That sucks about your DW router, I guess I'll think twice about do raised panels with my DW618. But you suck for getting permission to get the big Freud router.
Dave

Charles M

New User
Charles
Mark,

Great suggestions so far. Here's a couple more: Make your fence as close to zero clearance as possible so the panel can't dip into the cutter. With Freud bits you can remove the backcutter and lower the bit for the first pass(es) then when you get to final height add the back cutter for the last pass. This is the best method for arched panels. For rectangular panels just use the fence to limit the cut.

Charles M
Freud America, Inc.

mturi

New User
Mark
Thank you for your replies. I think I'll work with the fence as recommended and will try again soon. I had to vacuum my shop so I can finish two pending projects. (It's the only way to justify more tools) Once complete, I can let the sawdust fly again and practice with the raised panels. Thanks again.

woodguy1975

New User
John
You can also simply raise the bit to to incremental passes. I always disassemble panel raisers with the back cutter attached so I can do this primarily because my jobs always include arched panels.

At least that was how I used to do it. I do things a little differently today....

shaper1-14.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
YOU SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK!!! I have yet to break down and buy a shaper and you show off your 3 head shaper. :)

BTW, is that thing 3 phase or single phase?

woodguy1975

New User
John
Travis Porter said:
YOU SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK!!! I have yet to break down and buy a shaper and you show off your 3 head shaper. :)

BTW, is that thing 3 phase or single phase?
It is 3 phase. Each spindle is powered by its own 5HP motor. Here is part of my rotary phase converter that powers it. The ilder sits on the floor behind the compressor. I bought a 10 HP one so I can power multiple tools. I also have a 1 HP power feeder for the shaper, but don't have it cleaned up yet.:icon_thum

phaseconverter1-14_small.jpg

John

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
No stealth in that gloat! Just a huge BAM! A huge reminder gloat. John, I know it sucked that you had to do all that wiring for the converters, but you

really suck!:lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
NCPete said:
No stealth in that gloat! Just a huge BAM! A huge reminder gloat. John, I know it sucked that you had to do all that wiring for the converters, but you

really suck!:lol:

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE! Couldn't help sneaking that one in. :slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS