Need a solution for loose table saw sled runner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I have a specialty, homemade crosscut table saw sled with a slightly sloppy wooden runner.
Seems the wooden runner dried and shrank a bit and now I get a little wobble. Anyone know of a solution for this? The runner is not easily replaced, as it is epoxied onto the sled!:help:

sled.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A couple of small brass wood screws countersunk into the side of the runner should do the trick. Adjust them until the slop is gone. :icon_thum:icon_thum

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
127473328722681.jpg

Anti-Friction UHMW Tape - 3/4"

Anti-Friction UHMW Tape - 3/4"

UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) is a hi-tech, self-lubricating plastic that lets workpieces slide on machines so easily you'll just be using finger pressure!

Use self-adhesive tape to relieve friction of drawers, loading surfaces and material handling tables. Tape rolls are 3/4" wide x 9 feet long. Tape has a thickness of 30/1000" (.030"). USA

NOTE: Tape is clear with a blue peel-off backing.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10871http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10871

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
maybe using a cutoff wheel or something similar you can cut a few 3"-4' slits parallel and 3/16 in from one edge of the runner. Then drill & c'sink for a flathead wood screw in the center of the slot. By tightening the wood screw the edge of the runner would be forced out.

On another note, I was wondering if you had any experience with byrnesmodelmachines.com in your band making. I've been eyeballing the little tablesaw - think its cool.

Stephen

eyekode

New User
Salem
Matt, what is the runner connected to? Is it plywood? If you can remove the runner will you be able to accurately re-position a new one? I have removed runners before that were held on with TB III. Just working a chisel around the perimeter worked fine. I know it is not epoxy but I would bet you could remove the runner if you really wanted to. Of course if you cannot accurately reposition a new one then it is a moot point and the various shims already suggested like screws and UHMW tape might be your only option.

Edit: somehow I missed the picture :). Because the substrate is plywood I think you could remove the runner if you really wanted. But what about adding a second runner on the other side of the blade? The second runner could be positioned to remove the slop. And I just happen to have some UHMW runners you could have if you can arrange a pony express. I have found they are easy to "shim" by driving the screws deeper (which slightly mushrooms the material).

ehpoole

Ethan
Just curious, but could you not simply glue/laminate a thin strip (veneer) of hardwood onto the runner?

Measure the slop, cut a thin strip (rip with the grain) on the saw of your choice as close to (but slightly greater) than your amount of slop. Glue and carefully clamp (use wax paper to keep the glue from sticking to your clamping cauls or clamps) the new veneer to your old runner.

You can then tune it up with sandpapaper, an appropriate handplane, router with edge guide, etc. Use your imagination.

Just my thoughts... YMMV

gritz

New User
Robert
Route it out and replace with a piece of UHMW plastic jig material set into the routed groove.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
A couple of small brass wood screws countersunk into the side of the runner should do the trick. Adjust them until the slop is gone. :icon_thum:icon_thum

+1 on Dennis suggestion. That way if it changes again w/ humidity, you can simply adjust the screws for the proper fit.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS