Need a 5/8" x 11 tpi die and handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

Help :help:,

I need to borrow a 5/8" x 11tpi die and handle to tap 1 @ 3" piece of steel rod. Anyone in the area have one I could borrow?

TIA

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I've got a set at home but I can't remember if it goes to 5/8. I'm at work now and will check tonight when I get home and let you know. (It'll be after 7)

Tom

T

toolferone

Thanks Tom (great name) I have the normal set that takes me up to 1/2" x 13tpi.

Trog777

New User
Trog
I have standard and metric up to an inch. I ain't close, but if you're headed this way for any reason...

T

toolferone

I have standard and metric up to an inch. I ain't close, but if you're headed this way for any reason...

Thanks for the offer. I can buy what I need on Monday, but it will have limted use, so I was hoping to just borrow one locally.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tom, I probably have what you need, but I need to check my dies over in the barn. Give me a call in the morning and I'll let you know.

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tom, presuming that I have the die, rather than taking it elsewhere can you bring your item with you and thread it here? That will save you a second trip to return the die...

Scott

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That will save you a second trip to return the die...

Scott

Yea, but he will lose considerable time drolling over all your [STRIKE]tools[/STRIKE] toys. I spent 3 hours at your farm, and I don't think I saw all the fun stuff :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Gee Dave, when you visited I thought that you were getting bored but were too polite to mention it...

T

toolferone

Tom, presuming that I have the die, rather than taking it elsewhere can you bring your item with you and thread it here? That will save you a second trip to return the die...

Scott

Yes I can bring it.

I am making a slow speed honing wheel. I picked up the pillow blocks and pulleys at Agri Supply today. I allready have a left hand 5/8" x 11 die. I can bring it with me since I don't have a handle to hold it.

My wife is at Church in the morning so maybe I could come by in the morning, (if you have the die) I will have my 6 month old with me.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tom, sounds like a plan. Do I understand you correctly in that you have the correct die; just need a handle? Is your die a 6 point or 12 point?

Give me a call in the AM so I can confirm that I have the right items.

T

toolferone

I have a left hand, but need the right hand and the handle. I will call you in the morning.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tom, most metal working lathes will cut both left and right hand threads. This might be a better way to go, as the threads will be straight to the length of the shaft. We do a first cut on the lathe, and then clean up with a die. For the 5/8", did you get some shaft stock from Johnstone Supply?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Gee Dave, when you visited I thought that you were getting bored but were too polite to mention it...

I could have stayed and talked to you all evening, but my daughter has a funny thing about being picked up at daycare and brought home. She likes to see her parents a little bit, I guess. Plus they charge a $1 a minute past the pick-up cut-off :5eek:

Dave:)

T

toolferone

Tom, most metal working lathes will cut both left and right hand threads. This might be a better way to go, as the threads will be straight to the length of the shaft. We do a first cut on the lathe, and then clean up with a die. For the 5/8", did you get some shaft stock from Johnstone Supply?

I only need to thread about 3". I picked up the steel at Agri Supply. I will only be spinning about 600 rpm.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tom stopped by today and we were able to thread his rod using a lathe and die. The rod was cold rolled steel, so about .020 had to be machined off of it before the dies would start.

Of course, we had to start with a tour of the woodshop, and when Tom saw my gun safe that sparked a great discussion about firearms, etc.

All in all a good visit; as usual I wish that it could have lasted longer!

The nice thing about working on a project with Tom, is that his knowledge and skills are so extensive all I had to do was show him were the tools were and he was able to complete most of the work himself!

Unfortunately, neither one of us thought to take photo's... Oh well, maybe next time!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS