Neat shop at FWW online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
There are some pics of a really nice shop (by a really nice guy
wink.gif
) in Fine Woodworking's new online "The Woodworking Life" blog. I think you can look at it once without joining/paying.

Have I seen that shop before???
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

No money this time
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

In response to the FWW call for basement shops, I sent them some stuff about my second story shop, suggesting a follow-on article about a shop with a different set of advantages and disadvantages. They came back asking me to submit it for the blog. I figured what the hey, but was/am hoping they like one of the features of my shop enough to ask me to do a detailed write-up on it with pics (for money of course). They just posted the blog today, so who knows.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Alan, your shop is absolutely incredible! I REALLY like your cabinets and the craftsmanship displayed throughout. Wow - talk about a dream shop...

A very nice article - you've got to be a proud papa! Thanks for sharing; I can't wait to see the shop one day in person.

Scott

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Been there, done that ! I've gotten Alans nickel tour and it's pretty good. The shop shows exceptionally well in person. But I still think that he's wasting space in the garage :lol: by not using it for wood storage ( it looked so good when there was a thousand+ bd/ft. of different woods) and general rough break down.

Calling himself a tinkerer is not quite doing himself justice, he shop is loaded with gadgets, shortcuts, and inventions.

Good job Alan :eusa_clap ( not bad for a Jersey boy) and keep the gadgets and ideas coming.

Jimmy:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Alan, that's awesome. Congrats on the publicity...you deserve it, your shop should be shown in the pages of Fine Woodworking, because it is a fine woodworking shop :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Alan, great article, and a great plug on NCWW.

What's interesting is that the idea of an I-beam to hoist heavy stuff is only several hundred years old. The merchant houses in Amsterdam used to have beams like that to get stuff into the attic. In Dutch, the translation for "stairs" is "trap" - which is extremely appropriate if you've ever seen those narrow, steep staircases :)

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Alan, great article, and a great plug on North Carolina Woodworker.

What's interesting is that the idea of an I-beam to hoist heavy stuff is only several hundred years old. The merchant houses in Amsterdam used to have beams like that to get stuff into the attic. In Dutch, the translation for "stairs" is "trap" - which is extremely appropriate if you've ever seen those narrow, steep staircases :)

I always wondered where we came up with the ideas for block and tackle, overhead track cranes, forklifts, etc. The Danes invented all that stuff!! Aren't they the guys who plug a hole in a leaking dyke with a finger?:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Bas, Just kidding, really !

TBone

New User
Tommy
:eusa_clap Congrats on the shop blog. Your shop cabinets are better than the ones currently in my kitchen.

Great planning, I love the idea of the hoist and folding beam along with the hatches for the dust collection:icon_thum.

I just hope I can make the shop crawl if it heads your way.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Alan,

The LOML would only let me look at the pics of your awesome shop once. I do not have the room or the $ to come close to your shop. You should be extremely proud. Great looking shop.

Tracy

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Alan,

I definitely remember gawking at those photos in your gallery one time. :notworthy: Congratulations on the much-deserved publicity. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I go to the OBX quite frequently to surf. Washington is right in my path. If you would honor me with a tour of your shop, I will definitely send you a pm a few days in advance of my next trip. :notworthy:

Congrats!

Trent :icon_bigg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan,

I definitely remember gawking at those photos in your gallery one time. :notworthy: Congratulations on the much-deserved publicity. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I go to the OBX quite frequently to surf. Washington is right in my path. If you would honor me with a tour of your shop, I will definitely send you a pm a few days in advance of my next trip. :notworthy:

Congrats!

Trent :icon_bigg

Thanks to all! If I am home, the shop is open. All NCWWers have a standing invitation.

As you can easily tell, I am not shy about showing my shop. :-D If you visit, you better be prepared with the old bad date escape- the "my grandma just died, I gotta go" phone call, 'cause I won't let you leave, and better make sure your ears are firmly attached- 'cause I'll talk them off!
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks to all! If I am home, the shop is open. All NCWWers have a standing invitation.

As you can easily tell, I am not shy about showing my shop. :-D If you visit, you better be prepared with the old bad date escape- the "my grandma just died, I gotta go" phone call, 'cause I won't let you leave, and better make sure your ears are firmly attached- 'cause I'll talk them off!
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

You don't need an excuse to escape, if you stay long enough, eventually Alans wife wants him back and calls him ( like for a lunch date).

Jimmy:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks really good on ya, Alan!!! FWW is where pics and a review of your shop belong!!!!:notworthy::notworthy:

I certainly hope to see a review on the magazine stands soon!!!

I visited quite awhile ago (before you added the loo with the half moon on the door and those fine cabinets). The improvements/additions you have made boggles my mind!!!!

You should remain very, very proud of your ingenious add-ons and fine engineering!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

You have represented NC (and NCWW) with a very high level of accomplishment!!!!!

Thanks and Congratulations!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS