Natural light for your shop - free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tomorrow I am going to uninstall five nice pieces of glass that could be made into nice shop windows. These are 1" thermopane tempered clear glass 32" x 74". I can hold them for a few days but once out they are very vulnerable. I would rather see them used instead of in a landfill. Let me know if you have a use asap

Touchwood

New User
Don
Tomorrow I am going to uninstall five nice pieces of glass that could be made into nice shop windows. These are 1" thermopane tempered clear glass 32" x 74". I can hold them for a few days but once out they are very vulnerable. I would rather see them used instead of in a landfill. Let me know if you have a use asap

So if they're tempered, the individual glass panes could be used in display cabinets??. I don't know if you can take these apart without breaking them. The thermopane is 1" thick..must be the individual glass is pretty thick too?

I think I'm interested.

Don

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Shoot if I were not moving I would take one or two - if I understand correctly being what the are I could make up one heck of a glue table

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a sliding glass door panel. I once made a sunroom on my other home with those as the roof and walls. Used redwood rafters and posts. Had snow on the ground one winter and it was 100 degrees in there.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
So if they're tempered, the individual glass panes could be used in display cabinets??. I don't know if you can take these apart without breaking them. The thermopane is 1" thick..must be the individual glass is pretty thick too?

I think I'm interested.

Don

Don, My guess is these are two 1/4" panes with a 1/3" spacer. I have never tried to take them apart

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don, My guess is these are two 1/4" panes with a 1/3" spacer. I have never tried to take them apart

Thanks Phil,

I don't want to be greedy, so I'll take one...not sure what I'll use it for but 1/4" tempered glass is EXPENSIVE...and it's no big deal to get it cut at a glass shop.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great offer Phil - thanks, as always, for sharing the wealth. I wish I had a use for them, but my shop isn't set up for windows :)

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great offer Phil - thanks, as always, for sharing the wealth. I wish I had a use for them, but my shop isn't set up for windows :)

Time to expand or get a three story solar tube

Touchwood

New User
Don
WRONG! Tempered glass is cut to size BEFORE tempering. Tempering is designed to make it break into a million pieces upon impact.

Bruce..Thanks for the warning. I should have known that and probably did at one time. Early senility onset:(

Even if you want holes in it they have to be done before the tempering process.

So Phil, you can give the one I reserved to someone else. Seems like insulated glass almost 3' x 6' is a shame to throw away.:nah:

Don

manfre

New User
Manfre
My wife read the topic title while walking by my desk and asked the question, "Did some one accidentally put a hole in their roof?"

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
WRONG! Tempered glass is cut to size BEFORE tempering. Tempering is designed to make it break into a million pieces upon impact.

Bruce is absolutely correct! I checked into having glass shelves made, and the glass man said that if the glass is tempered, the cutting is done first. Consider your panes of glass to be like big windshields on a car. they get bumped wrong and you have 1000s of tiny little chunks of glass.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Phil, I have windows just like that around my shop that I picked up from salvage. However, two of them came with a broken seal so they are all cloudy. Would love to have a couple if there are any left. Can something be worked out in conjunction with the lumber run this weekend?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS