Nakashima Table Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
First I want to thank everyone who help me with the design of the table and the surfacing of the slab on the drum sander. I need all the help I can get. :wsmile:

I wanted to include some pictures of my progress. Here is the picture of the sample base made of pine.

practice_base.jpg

Here is a picture of the base disassembled to see the joinery:

base-disassembled2.jpg

It is one strong joint.

Here is a picture of the first (larger) slab almost totally sanded:

slab-large2.jpg

It is about 21" wide and a little more than 8' long. The second slab has a pretty pronounced bow in it that is preventing me from using the drum sander. Tomorrow I am going to try to make a router surfacing jig and surface the second slab that way.

To be continued ...

Amy

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice progress, keep us posted as you go through the next steps:icon_thum.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That's a bridal joint, right? Very impressive, that is NOT going to come apart. Nice detail on the legs too (curves/ angles). And that slab is something else, 21" x 8'! :swoon: Keep those pictures coming...this looks fantastic.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
WOW!! That is one large slab of wood! Keep the progress pics coming! Very impressive making a mock up out of pine.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Very impressive, Amy!
I really look forward to following your progress. It will be a heckuva table :icon_thum

Roger

T

toolferone

Here is a router jig I made to flatten my workbench top.

Click the pic for more info (scroll down)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Amy - the table is coming along nicely. I like your methodical approach.

If you will use a router bridge to flatten the top make sure that the top of your sled rails are coplanar. Also make sure the bridge doesn't sag much as you move the router side-to-side. I mounted a dial indicator in the bridge and ran it over the surface of my bench top to get an initial profile and determine the required depth of cut.

Chuck

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Gonna be awesome, Amy! Looking real good. You are da GIRL!!

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
The Nakashima table is almost done!!!!! Here are some pictures. All I have left to do is add finish and the butterfly inlays. I am going to finish the underside of the slabs and base, then assemble it to add the inlays and finish the top and edges.

table25.jpg

table26.jpg

Here is a picture of what it will look like with the inlays.

table33.jpg

The inlays will be just short enough to be contained in the light sapwood. The inlays will be tight grained dark purple walnut.

I have to say I could not have accomplished this without alot of help from my husband, John. He helped me will all the drum sanding of the slabs and he did some of the jointing and planing for me. He is awesome.

I'll post pictures when it is all done.:gar-Bi

Amy

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Looks great, Amy. (and John!)

I'd be proud of that if it were mine!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
That is a wonderful piece of work, Amy! Thanks for sharing the project, fantastic job.

tv

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Beautiful table, Amy...even without the finish it looks better than anything I could do!!! Keep us posted on the progress. Can't wait to see this with finish on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors