My shop is becoming a garage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most of you complain about sharing your shop space with the wife's car. How about a hundred Volkswagons? Each year as part of Triangle Woodworkers' Toy for Tots campain, I try to make at least 100 of the little "Volkswagons". As of tonight, I have cut out and sanded about sixty. Still have to drill axle holes, window opening, and route edges. Then sand lightly again and assemble axles and wheels. Really a simple little car to make. These are given to the Marines to be distributed. The "culls", I take to local Christmas parade and let my grandchildren give them to little ones. Puts a smile on both faces. Send me a PM if you would be interested in making a few "Volkswagons". TWA furnishes the wheel and axles. The body is made fron 2 X 4 stock. I can give you a body, with holes already drilled in it to be used as a template. On Saturday before Thanksgiving, TWA will be doing them at Klingspor's. Bruce

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Picked up a couple of 2X4's from HD yesterday. It dawned on me that I'm now building Volvo's instead of Volkswagons, as the wood is from Sweden.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Here's my run of Volvo 544's (had a '61) coming off of the assembly line.

Santa_s_Cars.JPG

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce, after this weekend I should be able to help some. Here is a tip. I know people that sell in craft fairs and they can't keep wooden tools on their tables. Especially the unpainted ones. Seems everyone is afraid of the made in China toys because of lead and other issues. Maybe there is some hope for "Made in the USA".

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Nice looking cars Joe. When you are building them, you can't help but to think how someones Christmas is going to be better. I can still see the look on a youngster's face, who was wheelchair bound, when my grand daughter gave him a car at the Christmas parade- PRICELESS! You got started later, but have passed me. I've got to bore axle holes, route edges, and add axles. to 120 of them. Thanks for pitching in. Be sure and come to TWA on the 20th. We are having our annual auction this month. Next month (December) we meet on the second Tuesday, so Marines can get toys to right places for Santa.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wow Joe!

That is really a cool assembly line you got goin' on!!!

You are about of room ain't ya?

There are bound to be some really happy kids out there in a month or
so!

Kudo's to both Bruce and yourself!

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
My neighbor came by and we set up workstations; and working together made it feel more Christmassy if that's a word. I plan to go over to Fred's today for a bucket of wheels, do you need any Bruce?

PS Like Bruce has said, everyone is welcome to participate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors