My recent project

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
Most of the work I'm doing now is construction so I dont have much chance do do anything but play around in my work shed. I hope to transition to where I do more furniture and cabinet work rather than general construction but in the mean time I will do what pays the bills.
My Current project has been close to a whole home renovation helping and teaching the home owner how to do the different aspects of what he wants to do. We just finished putting down a laminate floor and working on trim and stairs. I have been over the course of the last couple of days I have been working on trying g to straight edge and smooth and joint the rough red oak for the treads. Most of the smoothing work has been done with hand tools. I dont have a jointer or thicknesser. Joining with pocket screws, trying to save time and I dont have a bunch of clamps.
I recently bought the larger plane from Ed's tool store in Pittsboro. That was one of my favorite shopping experiences. The other plane is a kobalt plane. Nothing special, but serviceable and will get the job of smoothing out the gouges from the larger plane. I know my set up needs more tools. But making do with what I have. I have learned a lot while doing this. The first is dont go to far from your oil can. The difference between no oil and freshly oiled plane sole is incredible.

Attached are the progress pics will try fo update later.
20191115_182240.jpg20191115_182233.jpg hand plane from Ed's. absolute joy to use. I'm a fan of the metal sole and I have a 22 in jointer that I will probably do the same to.
20191115_182151.jpg boards cleaned up and paired to make the 3 ft treades. There is 1 9ft tread not pictured.

20191115_182141.jpgmost shaving that I've had with hand tools. need to find a good way to use these for something.
20191113_190010.jpg pile of boards before I started. Each board is 5-7 inches wide with the exception of 1 which is 4 in wide. All boards are 11 ft and change.

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
While in Ed's shop he let me try several different planes including the Stanley 5 1/2 which was a bit more than I could afford. This was my favorite out of all the wood ones the we dug out that day.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS