Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
unifence3.jpg

unifence2.jpg

unifence1.jpg

LOL! The old Craftsman got a Unifence upgrade today! I ran into a few speedbumps but nothing major. Didn't realize that you couldn't use 'webbed' extension wings, so I had to build a new right extension wing. I used some old oak I had laying around to frame some melamine. For those Craftsman owners who might be interested in this conversion it is quite easy. The holes in the cast iron were pretty close, just have to open them up a bit to 7/16". I kept the back angle iron attached for table support. I put the provided legs on the table for added support though it doesn't really need it. The provided Bies table was WAY too small for the Craftsman because you must discard the cast iron extension.

While I was at it, I got rid of the old mobile base and made a new one out of 2x4s, 1/2" baltic birch and 6 - 2" casters. This base allows for the table legs to be stationary.

She's still ugly, but now hopefully she'll function much more like a saw should. Sometimes I can't believe the fences that come stock with saws. I hope I never have to see that old fence ever again. :)

The moral of the story is...if you've got an old Crapsman, grab one of these unifences now. You really can't beat $123 for a $300 fence. They are practically giving them away!

***Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to remount the power switch?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, congratulations on a very gloatworthy outcome. You do pretty work - she looks beautiful! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I like the mobile base idea too, flat, simple and effective.

Man, I STILL remember the fence on my first TS. At least your saw is worthy of a fence lift, my first was no more then a skilsaw turned upside down. Fence flexed under minimal pressure. Only good thing is it was so underpowered I could stall the motor to prevent kickback while I hit the STOP PB. :lol:

That Unifence looks way too cool.

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Peter, sweet upgrade. You'll love that fence. Build yourself a folding outfeed table next and you will be able to handle anything you want to on that saw.
Dave:)

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks Dave. I definately need a new outfeed table. I built one with a mdf top a little while back that was the perfect height. I put a coat of poly on the top and the darn thing swelled just enough to make it unusable as an outfeed table! Oh well, lesson learned and I needed an extra workbench anyways ;-). I probably would have had to build a new one anyways since I replaced the base on the saw today. Oh well, one more project. The LOML keeps laughing at me 'cuz i keep telling her that ..."this weekend is the last time in the basement for awhile!" :lol:

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Good job Pete. I am sure that the new fence will serve you well. Your work was good on the old fence. I'm anxious to see what you turn out now that you have something to work with. I assume that the two cases of wine under the saw is what you plan to share with us at the picnic on Sunday.

M

McRabbet

Well, it's obvious I won't be picking up a Delta 30" Unifence from Junquecol for you, will I? You obviously found one locally and you sure did a great job of installing it and building both the extension table and the mobile base. As for the switch, I prefer mine to the left side of the front of the saw where it can be reached easily (near the big "10" in the first photo). I can't see how much cord there is between the switch and the motor, but a simple angle bracket mounted to the saw's base should do the trick.

By the way, we missed you on Saturday at the Western NC Woodworkers meeting -- maybe next month?

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Can't sneak anything past you restaurant folks! ;-)

By the way Dino, does it mean I'm getting old when your avatar makes me drool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors