My Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
Here it is. Glued it up this weekend. I still need to shape the head around the handle and the handle needs to be shortened. I will probably also give it a bit more shape as well. Lastly, it looks too long. What is the typical length of a handle?

IMG00008-20110130-1628.jpg

crokett

New User
David
Hmm.... fixed now. dunno what the problem was, all I did was repaste the image URL. Sorry about the pic quality. It is a cellphone camera. Our real camera is broken.

crokett

New User
David
I plan on using it for chopping mortises. I like the shape of the carving mallet better than the 2 rubber deadblows I have. It is big and heavy - bigger than a traditional carving mallet. The chisels won't care what hits them.

richlife

New User
Rich
Nice work! Go easy cutting the handle length until you have a chance to use it. Then go slow -- you can't make it longer. (Where have I heard that before?) :gar-La;

I like that shape for a carving mallet. The handles of my favorites are about 1 1/2 the size of the head. I tend to grasp the bottom of the head with thumb and forefinger to use them. For carving, I would perfer a bellied shape handle -- like this () but stretched out.

It's also interesting. I have another heavy wooden mallet (can't remember the wood -- maybe mahogany) that I don't use because the handle is too thin in comparison with the head (and my hand). Tends to cramp my hand and puts uncomfortable pressures on the fingers. I want to convert it by cutting the head down flat on the sides and shaping a more traditional mallet with faces that are flatter while maintaining the angles. I have no idea how it will work, but otherwise it's a worthless piece of wood to me.

Rich

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks good. Like Rich said, try it for a while before you start cutting it shorter and see how it feels and where you hold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS