My First Mandolin Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
About 3 months ago I decided to build a mandolin. Actually, my brother challenged me. He was showing a friend of his some pictures of other stuff I had made, and the friend - a musician - asked my brother if I could build a mandolin. "Of course he can build a mandolin!!" my brother says. Then he calls me from Texas and asks if I can build a mandolin, cause he has a buyer for one.

Some of you may recall that I sought help here with bending the sides, and got some great advice. I tried to find some spruce for the top, but ended up using a really nice piece of western red cedar instead. The sides are walnut, primarily because I had the greatest success bending it around the hot pipe. The neck is hard maple, and the back is mahogany. The fret board and the veneer on the headstock are some made of some very old rosewood that came from my father's shop and has been saved for the right project for about 40 years. The truss rod in the neck is a 3/16" rod with a hook bent on the lower end and threaded on the top. The "points" on the rim are made of Corian, and the nut, or piece that holds the strings at the top of the neck is made of bone.

I used Roger Simonoff's book and drawings as the basis for the project. He has great detail on some aspects of construction, and other areas are left to the builder's imagination. (or to research on YouTube)

Finishing was done with cans of spray paint. Actually, spray lacquer. I used three shades of Mohawk toner lacquers (available at Klingspor) to achieve the color gradation. Then about 12 coats of Behlen musical instrument lacquer, followed by sanding with micro mesh to 12,000 grit, and finally polishing with Behlen's deluxing compound.

Now that I look at the finished project, it is hard to believe that I actually made it. For a first shot at a mandolin, I am pretty happy with it.

Even though I am left handed and this is a right handed mandolin, my brother's friend isn't getting this one. He can have the second one I make, but I have spent too much time on this thing to part with it.

mandolin01.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Chair making is about as lofty a goal as I have as a woodworker - instrument making (luthering? luthery?) is clearly above my goals. One reason is that once an instrument is made, I would not know a good project from a bad one, except by looks. Yours looks great!

But instruments are made to be played - and that is where my abilities become disabilities. Are you happy with the sound?

Henry

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's incredible. How is the truss rod anchored on each end? The threaded end into a threaded insert?

Trying to picture how this part works and is adjusted. If I remember correctly the purpose of the truss rod is to balance against the pull of the strings to keep the neck straight.

Thanks for sharing.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Wow that is amazing. Very nice work. I am also curious as to how the truss rod works.

I am no expert on truss rods, but here is my take on it. The strings tend to pull the neck up from the plane of the fretboard and the truss rod is designed to pull the neck back down, or to keep it basically on the same plane. The rod goes in at an angle, and ends in a hook inside the heel of the neck. When you tighten the nut on the rod, it should pull the neck back down.

Here's a picture from the plans. This shows it better than I can explain it.

truss rod.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice Job. I saw this in process. I was impressed then, but wow the finished mandolin looks perfect.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
That's fantastic! A mandolin or ukelele is on my bucket list, but I'm going to have to live a long time to check it off

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
That's a beautiful instrument! Be careful - instrument building is addictive. When I started to build my first harpsichord, I had no intentions of making a second one. That was 30 years and I don't know how many harpsichords ago. You're off to a terrific start - can't wait to see #50.

Ernie

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill, I know almost nothing about musical instruments, but I do know quality craftsmanship when I see it. And I definitely see it in your mandolin. :eusa_clap

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Awesome work!

Now what we need is a Sunday afternoon concert at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop - Raleigh with all NCWWR musical instrument makers.... OR maybe at 2013 Extravaganza in Hickory in October. :widea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS